cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants refund usps says delivered

Usps says item was delivered to "parcel locker". Buyer says he went to post office and they couldnt find it. I sent a reply asking him to talk to his route carrier and if they had no info to then talk to his post office manager and they would likely shed some light on its location. I sent that message on saturday, on monday morning i get a request for a refund so it appears buyer hasnt made any effort on his end to locate the package and theres not much I can do at this end to locate a package 2000 miles away from me. I could go to my post office but what are they going to do but tell me it was delivered? I have enough experience with the post office to know that package is there you just have to rsttle a few cages and get the names of who you talk to, and ultimately talk to the manager if necessary. Is ebay really going to make me give him a refund for the post offices screw up which buyer can probably solve at his end with a little effort? 

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Did buyer file a claim or are they just asking for a refund? Did eBay put a hold on those funds which you already received? If the answer is no. I wouldn't do anything.

If there is an open claim filed...item was delivered in parcel locker which needs a key....but probably noe a signature. Is this a P O Box? Was that on the address? 

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Delivered to parcel locker generally means the buyer lives in an area with cluster mailboxes. The carrier leaves a key in your mailbox when they leave a package in the parcel locker. Buyer uses that key to retrieve their package.

Either the buyer is lying to try and get a refund, or the carrier left the key in the wrong tenant's box and their neighbor got it. If it's a honest neighbor they will either give the package to the intended recipient or they will give it to the carrier / PO for proper re-delivery.

It's not your issue though. Delivered means you're covered as long as you shipped to the address on the order page and you enter the tracking number on the item not received claim.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Two things to do:

1 - reply as you already did

2 - if a request/claim is opened add the tracking information

End of story.

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

In my experience with 'Parcel lockers' they are on the site/location of where the buyer lives, not at the Post Office.

Loose Cannon
Message 5 of 34
latest reply

It says the buyer has a "request" for a refund

I sent a message to the buyer asking he contact his carrier or post office manager. He replied the carrier would be there around 5. So im in limbo till then. Ebay also messaged my funds would be put on hold. 

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

Do as instructed above @batvette and upload the tracking number to the request. You need to do that for seller protections even though the tracking number is already on the order.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 34
latest reply

I've seen some "parcel lockers". Usually in a gated community if I am correct. And there is usually a management office on the grounds. I could be wrong. Just a thought. Did you google the address to see the place looks like?

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Parcel Lockers are either part of a USPS clusterbox or in larger cities they can be found in lots of places but these are third-party private parcel lockers (UPS, Amazon, non-affiliated), I see them in grocery stores, bus/subway stops and similar high traffic locations.

At a Post Office that has 24/7 access to PMB's there is often a Locker included in the bank of single customer dedicated boxes.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

I live in a "townhome style" condo. Just like @wastingtime101 mentioned, we have cluster mailboxes out on the street. Small mailbox, shared parcel locker for larger packages. Key gets tossed in our mailboxes if there is something in the parcel locker for us.

My grandmother and I are next door neighbors. We share the same first initial and same last name. Our mailboxes are also next to each other in the cluster. I can't even begin to tell you how often our mail gets messed up. That's understandable because our names.

However, I can't begin to tell you how often I have gotten the WRONG mail from other neighbors in my box. I think cluster mailboxes have got to be notorious for this simply because of the design of the box and how easy it is to lose focus when you're just tossing mail in a bunch of side-by-side slots.

Parcel Lockers are also a thing at some PO Boxes. My first PO Box was at a Post Office that didn't have lockers for larger pkgs, but my current PO Box at my current post office does have them (thank god). This should of course be irrelevant to your situation if the address was residential as it seems to be suggested.

One thing you can do, if you are curious, is look up your buyers address on google maps. If they have Street View, you can see if they have cluster mailboxes. If not, you may get lucky and spot them curbside on satellite. (I do NOT recommend mentioning this action to your buyer ... I suggest it only if you are curious enough to look!)

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Sometimes recently some post offices have installed (larger) parcel lockers outside and the key is left in the PO box.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 11 of 34
latest reply

Adding on:   

Years ago I lived in a Mobile home community.   All Po boxes were at the main office.   A package 

went into a locker and a key for the locker was left in my Po box.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Make sure you put tracking into the refund request that shows delivery. 

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Is there any reason that you the seller cannot call the buyers post office.  You can rattle cages the same as can the buyer.  Have done it myself.............

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

OK you use the key to open locker and how do you return key to PO? Do you put it in your PO box so they can retrieve it? What if you keep the key and try to steal packages form the locker another day? I know most people are honest but just wondering.

Message 15 of 34
latest reply