cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants refund usps says delivered

Usps says item was delivered to "parcel locker". Buyer says he went to post office and they couldnt find it. I sent a reply asking him to talk to his route carrier and if they had no info to then talk to his post office manager and they would likely shed some light on its location. I sent that message on saturday, on monday morning i get a request for a refund so it appears buyer hasnt made any effort on his end to locate the package and theres not much I can do at this end to locate a package 2000 miles away from me. I could go to my post office but what are they going to do but tell me it was delivered? I have enough experience with the post office to know that package is there you just have to rsttle a few cages and get the names of who you talk to, and ultimately talk to the manager if necessary. Is ebay really going to make me give him a refund for the post offices screw up which buyer can probably solve at his end with a little effort? 

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Key is captive in the lock after opening the locker.

USPS has a key to release the key to use the locker again

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

@mantle1951 wrote:

OK you use the key to open locker and how do you return key to PO? Do you put it in your PO box so they can retrieve it? What if you keep the key and try to steal packages form the locker another day? I know most people are honest but just wondering.

@mantle1951 the key stays in the lock and can not be removed by the customer. I experience this with parcel lockers at post office for my PO box and the parcel locker at my cluster mail box at home. I believe a 2nd key (Postal worker key) is required to release the first (customer) key.

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

Thanks for that! 

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

I told him Id be happy to file the claim if it came to that.  That said, the first person who would have a clue where tthe package would be would be his normal route carrier. Someone I dont know the identity of and who would normally never be available for phone calls. So I dont think its out of line to expect that the first efforts to find the package should be at the end where the package was last seen. As others have mentioned if the USPS said package was delivered thats where my responsibility ends. Also add that when my post office loses a package I dont get much attention with a phone call. If I go in people start looking. 

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

Post office lockers retain the key when you open the door. None of that is possible. 

Message 20 of 34
latest reply

I always cover my P+Q's . I would call up his Post Office and talk with them. Get the info, the name of who you talked to and tell them what the issue is. They know who the carrier is and the carrier will remember what is delivered- it is also GPS tracked right to the box. (My husband is a carrier).   Your Post Office may also be able to get a print out of it's route and GPS tracking but make sure you get a copy of the Tracking to his box. 

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

That's what I usually do as well. Best to be proactive sometimes. 

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

Thanks for the info. I think GPS tracking would be helpful if the package was left at the wrong address. If it were left in a parcel locker but the key was placed in the wrong mailbox by the carrier it wouldnt help. 

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

If I get these I ask the buyer to go to their PO again and request that the postmaster research where the package was dropped. I also for an expensive transaction call the destination PO and I TELL THE BUYER I am going to do this to locate where the package was deposited. Usually they can find them. The tell the buyer I am researching this can sometime prevent a false I did not get it claim  and expedite the finding of the package and a premature refund. You have to be proactive.

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

Strangely enough, ebay released the funds, changed the status to the order being complete, but the request is still open and the buyer hasnt responded yet. Much afo about nothing Id assume. Buyer hopefully found his package but just hasnt had time to respond.

The fabulous world of getting rich on ebay. $27 minus packing materials, time and gas to go to the post office,  etc. 

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

When you see the option 'ask eBay to step in' @batvette you can click on that and have the INR closed in your favor. That will also protect you against neg FB.

If you leave it open then it will eventually time out after a month due to inactivity and protections will not apply.

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

It's not your issue though. Delivered means you're covered as long as you shipped to the address on the order page and you enter the tracking number on the item not received claim.

That's the funniest thing I've read all day! 🤣

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Do as instructed above @batvette and upload the tracking number to the request. You need to do that for seller protections even though the tracking number is already on the order.

This is correct.  It's all you can do right now.  
Respond to the request with the tracking number and carrier.
And wait.
(there is hope) Chances are good that they will decide in your favor.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

Why is it funny? AFAIK that is an accurate take on this? 

Please explain why if it isnt. I would like to know, merely mocking someone elses reply isnt constructive discussion. 

If Ive misread your reply/intent, my apologies. 

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

Once the key is used to open the parcel locker, the key cannot be removed from lock. Only the postal carrier can remove the key. 

Message 30 of 34
latest reply