cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer trying to return item with no return policy after 28 days.

Hello community 

So long story short, a buyer bought a laptop with no return policy. The second  I email him to check in and learn if the item was received intact. He’s answer was positive and the item was in good working order. After 26 days , he opens a return and states that the item today became faulty and he wants a refund. I try to explain to him that the eBay guarantee is if you received it faulty, different than the listing, and if  he didn’t receive it at all, but he accuses me that I don’t honor the eBays policy. I talked with customer service and here is the crazy part. eBay encourages  me to accept the return and refund the buyer so the buyer can have great buying experience. Excuse me, they violating their own policies?

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Buyer trying to return item with no return policy after 28 days.

I try to explain to him that the eBay guarantee is if you received it faulty, different than the listing, and if he didn’t receive it at all,

That is not what the Money Back Guarantee says.

No Returns does NOT mean No Refunds.

You can refuse the return but you may still have to refund, if only partial, and he keeps the machine.

Do you want the machine back so you can resell it?

Send the return shipping.

Do you never want to see the machine again and believe the buyer that it is garbage?

Send the refund.

But no returns does not mean no refunds.

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you but you are incorrect about a few things. The MBG does not stipulate that refunds are only for items not as described. A buyer can simply change their mind and still get a refund. If you choose to sell using this platform, you are bound by the TOS of eBay, and they offer a MBG. You cannot override eBay's TOS with your own no refund policy, you will lose each and every time. 

Your best bet is to accept the return and hope the buyer actually ships your laptop back to you. If you continue to argue with the buyer you will end up losing much more than your money, but your item as well. You will not win here so best to lick your wounds and try to get the most out of it, which is get your laptop back and hopefully sell it again to someone else. 

Best of luck to you....

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

C0BAC8B3-F991-4534-B9F0-31995AF6458E.jpeg

Thank you for the responds. So  I don’t understand what I read? Because I believe that they stated clear.

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

Unfortunately, all the buyer has to say is that the item is faulty.  ebay doesn't go by 'qualifiers'.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 5 of 48
latest reply

I understand, but the customer emails me that the laptop was running great and after 26 days it died(total 28).
Message 6 of 48
latest reply

buyer is within the allotted time 2 request a return and full refund.
Also I believe that a faulty part can function initially but breakdown quickly
- not saying buyer is not being untruthful
point is truth or not . buyer is within the money back policy guidelines
Message 7 of 48
latest reply

alor_tech_0-1585918409681.png

Excuse me but nobody reads the policy?

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

Call eBay and demand to speak with a supervisor. Tell them to look at the messages where the buyer states it was received in good working condition. Explain that it is a used computer and that you cannot be reasonably expected to offer 30 day no questions asked guarantees on these types of items. Some people will use the item improperly and cause it to fail and then demand a refund! If eBay insists on offering everyone a 30 day guarantee on all used items, then maybe they can give the buyer the refund from their own pocket! 

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

I tried this and the representatives trying to convince me that I have to accept it in order the customer has GREAT BUYING EXPERIENCE WTH. When I explain to them that this violates your own policy, then either they don't answer or they just word different their previous answer.
Message 10 of 48
latest reply

Buyer can return 4 any reason only difference is if is something like changed mind (example) only difference is buyer pays return ship and not seller but unfortunately it still qualifies
Regards
Message 11 of 48
latest reply

so he has the item for 28days; the second day he sends me an email that works perfect and after 28 days he is qualifying for return?
Message 12 of 48
latest reply

Unfortunately yes that is what I am saying
Message 13 of 48
latest reply

Listen I can say whatever I want to and is not necessary right ok? I am talking with evidence and facts and you just throwing an answer on the table. The policy of eBay is this. He received it, he said that is ok and after 26 days became faulty. If you know how to read properly you can understand.

Screenshot (37).pngimg.jpgllo.jpg

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

I state from 10+ years of experience as an eBay member
By all means proceed as u wish, this back and forth is wasting both of our time
Not 2 mention u r now being insulting I read just fine thank you
GOODBYE AND GOOD LUCK
Message 15 of 48
latest reply