cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer sending back fake watch in place of the $175 watch that was shipped!

Just wondering how everyone else deals with this garbage when buyers open a return and then sends back some fake junk to steal your item? I am just sick of it.

I sent a buyer a brand new Emporio Armani automatic watch, model AR1980, worth about $180, and he's showing a picture of some dirty fake watch on the return details page that I'm sure he's planning on sending back to me.

SO?? Now what?!? Buyers have always been successful with this in the past, has anything changed? Or is this just it? This is just how they can steal whatever they want whenever they want? 

Below are pictures of the return details, actual photos of the watch I sent him (they aren't stock photos), and his upload of the fake watch he's planning on sending back to me.

scam_1.jpgscam_2.jpgemp_mens_auto_ss_white_rg_1.jpgemp_mens_auto_ss_white_rg_6.jpgemp_mens_auto_ss_white_rg_4.jpg

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer sending back fake watch in place of the $175 watch that was shipped!

First, i would wait until the package arrives and you have examined the watch. Would not make any claims or contact the buyer without the evidence in hand.

(I don’t doubt you that this is likely a fraud attempt (there would not be reason for him to post a fake otherwise), but if the authorities need to be alerted, the report carries more weight when the actual crime is committed. Right now there is suspicion of fraud, not proof of it.)

Once you have the fake watch, then you can act to rectify the situation. If your goal is to get your watch back, then I would contact the buyer, saying that a mistake has been made and a fake watch received . Explain (in a non-aggressive, non-threatening, non-accusatory tone) that unless you receive the original back, you will be forced to contact the authorities . Give them a time line you want the watch back by.

If you are not after getting the original watch back, you can go straight to the authorities. You are right that the police may not show interest, but tell them you need a case number to give weight to your report to eBay.

Next, contact the US Postal Inspectors who will take this seriously. They take the use of the postal system in the act of a crime for what it is—a federal offense.

Also report the buyer to the FBi’s Internet Crime Complaint Center online at ic3.gov and don’t forget to get case numbers for each report. Use these to finally report the buyer to eBay, showing your resolve and seriousness over the matter.

If this happened to me, i would be able to refund only half of the purchase price. That is one of the benefits of having free returns. This method is also available to Top Rated Sellers who offer at least 30 day returns.

Good luck to you and hope this gets resolved to your benefit.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

I would message him and tell him you don't know what he's trying to pull  but you have the serial number and you'll make a police report and a mail fraud complaint with USPS if he returns that fake watch.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Already done. And I would file a police report. Problem is, they really don't care and it does nothing to stop this. 

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

First, i would wait until the package arrives and you have examined the watch. Would not make any claims or contact the buyer without the evidence in hand.

(I don’t doubt you that this is likely a fraud attempt (there would not be reason for him to post a fake otherwise), but if the authorities need to be alerted, the report carries more weight when the actual crime is committed. Right now there is suspicion of fraud, not proof of it.)

Once you have the fake watch, then you can act to rectify the situation. If your goal is to get your watch back, then I would contact the buyer, saying that a mistake has been made and a fake watch received . Explain (in a non-aggressive, non-threatening, non-accusatory tone) that unless you receive the original back, you will be forced to contact the authorities . Give them a time line you want the watch back by.

If you are not after getting the original watch back, you can go straight to the authorities. You are right that the police may not show interest, but tell them you need a case number to give weight to your report to eBay.

Next, contact the US Postal Inspectors who will take this seriously. They take the use of the postal system in the act of a crime for what it is—a federal offense.

Also report the buyer to the FBi’s Internet Crime Complaint Center online at ic3.gov and don’t forget to get case numbers for each report. Use these to finally report the buyer to eBay, showing your resolve and seriousness over the matter.

If this happened to me, i would be able to refund only half of the purchase price. That is one of the benefits of having free returns. This method is also available to Top Rated Sellers who offer at least 30 day returns.

Good luck to you and hope this gets resolved to your benefit.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Right, that's the approach I've taken before. I've politely told the buyer that it appears he made a mistake, I ask if it's possible he purchased that item from a different seller and returned it to me by mistake, etc. I give the buyer every benefit and chance to back out of say the whole thing was just an accident,  but not that it has actually worked. They submit the case to eBay and eBay = refund.

I've also just given refunds and moved on without even trying, for less expensive items. With shipping costs, I'm looking at around $200 on this one, and it stings a little. I'm not rich, lol.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Hey fashunu4eeuh- I was actually thinking of doing that-- Can I just deduct a percentage for returning an incorrect item? That option is available to me too, but I never really use it because most issues are honest buyer mistakes and I don't care to deduct anything for that. 

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

If it doesnt work worst case refund half the amount and ebay will close the case. and cite item not return as original state. and hope your margin is at least 50% and you break even in cost.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

SMH @

Once you have the fake  watch back you can rectify the situation.

The only rectifying is getting the right watch back. You're going to be forced to refund whatever they return. Sometimes threats of police involvement or mail fraud makes them change their mind about trying to scam.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@gear-house wrote:

Hey fashunu4eeuh- I was actually thinking of doing that-- Can I just deduct a percentage for returning an incorrect item? That option is available to me too, but I never really use it because most issues are honest buyer mistakes and I don't care to deduct anything for that. 

Absolutely, if it's available to you, eBay allows you to deduct up to 50% of the original price when you refund for an item not returned in the same condition (or wrong item).

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Your local police do not care about theft? Talk to the police chief and then the mayor. Ask them why they are not enforcing the laws.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Well, it's not that they are uncaring. They just have bigger fish to fry and I get that. I think the point of a police report is just to have documentation, not that they are going to put a detective on the case. Unless it was some absolutely huge amount I don't think they have the resources to go after things like this.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@gear-house wrote:

Well, it's not that they are uncaring. They just have bigger fish to fry and I get that. I think the point of a police report is just to have documentation, not that they are going to put a detective on the case. Unless it was some absolutely huge amount I don't think they have the resources to go after things like this.

You'd be surprised and how/who you communicate with matters.  Many communities now have Internet savvy police who can in fact login to a portal at eBay.  Call the police local to him, if he's done it to you likely done it others as well and you can voice that, "I suspect xxx has done this to others having been bold enough to target me having sold over 89,000 items at eBay over some 24 years time.  I read online (Which is true I have) that some pawn shops engage in this sort of activity then sell the merchandise which is essentially stolen to people within a community having not cost them anything to obtain it."

What's the process of filing a report with his local police, need ask them that.  

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

File fraud reports with all appropriate authorities, but most importantly with the scammer's local police because perhaps after they receive enough reports they'll take some action.  If the item is serial-numbered... In the old days there was a way to get it into NCIC, or whatever the database was, so maybe there's an equivalent today.

FWIW, my wife's "day job" is for a major nationwide retailer, and this substitution scam is a many-times-per-day occurrence.  Staff and LP recognize the regulars on sight.  This scam and more will probably become daily experiences for most if not all of us.  (The nearby Chinese takeout that's now behind several inches of plexiglass is another sign of our times.)

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

I thought deducting up to 50% was for a REMORSE return when it's  been returned in worse condition or missing parts. 

I did not think you can deduct when the item is returned for not as described.  I thought you could issue a partial refund if they are keeping the item. 

I'm  sure a buyer is supposed to get a full refund when they return an item through MBG, even if they return an empty package or a different item.

Can someone get Devon, Stephanie or Elizabeth to answer- to agree or disagree?

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@gear-house   I did not detail read all the posts, but I've had a few 'possible suspicious' returns.

In those few cases, I had the packages held at the post office and opened the package in front of the supervisor. One package had a completely different item in it and the supervisor signed an affidavit stating what was in the box. I followed up with the USPS fraud department and made a police report.

One package I was too late to have held, so I asked the postal carrier if they would be willing to be my witness and I also had them video tape my opening the package. In that case, the proper item was returned to me in the original condition as sent.

I've had a few items returned back to me with tags and packaging missing, and since I offer free returns, I was allowed to deduct for those.

BTW- I decided to tell any 'suspicious' buyers that I would be doing the above procedure (post office supervisor as witness) and miraculously, I never heard back from them and the item was never returned back to me.

I wish you Good Luck!

Message 15 of 23
latest reply