cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer says account was hacked to request return

I received a return request for a new armband heart rate monitor last night because it didn’t fit. In response to my message which said what address to send the item back to, the buyer said -

“I did not request a return on this item. Please disregard any message you received about a return. It is possible my account was hacked as I just received some security notices. Very happy with this item. Thank you!!”

What should my next steps be?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Buyer says account was hacked to request return

On the surface, it sounds like something you will have to talk to CS about.  To me, the first thing that comes to mind is someone buying something, filing for a return, then telling you not to refund (for whatever reason) - they want the item, then after the time period is up, having ebay 'step in' to refund and let them keep the item.

Someone with more experience in this type of situation should be along soon to better advise.  It will probably be a 'return for refund', and then re-purchase, with you sending a return label.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

IMO -

1. You  have nothing to  talk  to eBay CS about - there is no action required from you at this time.   You just  received some "foggy" communications.  Hard to believe someone would  "hack" an account to set  up  a return request for a BP machine.  People use  the "hack" thing to explain things unexplainable events, embarrassing situations or just some normal out of body experiences.

2.  But  save  your eBay messages that you have received from this buyer - they  may come in  handy down the  road.  Trust these communications were all thru eBay messages.  If  via your personal e-mail eBay won't use it as evidence & can't read them..  But if you do a complete (w/date, to from stuff) copy  and  past of a personal e-mail and paste it on your reply via eBay message & ask the buyer to send a response via an eBay Message, eBay will take it into consideration - they did for me.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If you got an actual ebay return request..........you will have to do something.  You could just ok the return, agree to supply the label.......writing the buyer that's something you have to do, but since he still wants it, let it time out and it will close.........

If you ignore a formal "case", you will be charged with not responding and that's a real black mark. 

Personally, I would call ebay............if the buyer's account was hacked, the hacker could be in control of everything. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Interestingly enough, the buyer just canceled the return on their own.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply