cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returned item I sold them, but also sent me another item I did not sell them. What to do?

I had a buyer return an item I'd sold them. When I received the item back from them, I also received an item I had not sold nor ordered from them. I want to return this item and  have the buyer pay postage along with postage on the item they sent me that I did not order. How do I proceed?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Buyer returned item I sold them, but also sent me another item I did not sell them. What to do?

I don't care about the item. I  want the amount charged to my account to ship it to me without my permission.

It's a 8 or 10 pound item shipped Priority.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Re: Buyer returned item I sold them, but also sent me another item I did not sell them. What to do?

Have you actually checked to see whether you were in fact charged for 2 return labels?

You said they were both the same tracking # so you should have only been charged for ONE of the parcels. Which one were you charged for?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Again, how were you charged for the return shipping of that package? 

You were not the seller of it evidently.  A buyer can't just decide randomly to have some seller charged for the return shipping unless that seller had some involvement in the package.  You didn't.  

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

List and sell the extra item!

Sending America's collectibles where they belong, one auction at a time!

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@sitonmycar wrote:

I don't care about the item. I  want the amount charged to my account to ship it to me without my permission.

Have you actually paid for the shipping yet?  Using eBay returns I do not believe you pay for the label at time of creation  but are billed for it use later. If you were billed for two labels I would call eBay and have them figure it out. I bet this is not something that happens often.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

@sitonmycar wrote:

Have you read the replies you're getting? You weren't charged for the second label. You were charged for 1 label that the buyer (mistakenly?) printed twice and attached to 2 different packages. (Usually USPS catches that type of error but apparently didn't catch it this time.)

I think you're making this into a larger deal than it is. 

Let the buyer know of the mistake, tell buyer if they need the 8-lb item back, they need to purchase and send you a return shipping label and tell them you'll give 72 hours (or whatever) to get a reply, after which you'll dispose of or do what you want with the other item. 

You're making the buyer's error your problem, which it is not.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

Let the buyer know of the mistake, tell buyer if they need the 8-lb item back, they need to purchase and send you a return shipping label and tell them you'll give 72 hours (or whatever) to get a reply, after which you'll dispose of or do what you want with the other item. 

Buyer can probably just send them the label that was supposed to go on that package. If it's marked as a "return service" label OP can drop it with the PO, no problem.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

Buyer can probably just send them the label that was supposed to go on that package. If it's marked as a "return service" label OP can drop it with the PO, no problem.

That's absolutely right! I hadn't thought of that! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

This is a easy one.

Let them know.

If they want to pay for return postage,  ship it back.

If they don't want to pay for return postage, don't ship it back.

If they don't respond at all, keep it or throw it away.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 24 of 29
latest reply

@sitonmycar wrote:

If you didn't order it, you didn't pay for it

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

I believe that the Post Office, at some point, will realize that two packages were shipped with the same tracking number. That is not allowed. The PO will back charge eBay for the second package shipped on one tracking number. eBay will back charge the seller.

Really, that is a clever way for a buyer to get revenge on a seller who they feel wronged them.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

That's not accurate @aeparts1 . This is a return label generated through eBay, not an outbound label. See my above post #12 with more details.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 27 of 29
latest reply

That is what I'm trying to figure out. But I assume two packages sent from return labels will be billed to me - the seller.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@sitonmycar wrote:

That is what I'm trying to figure out. But I assume two packages sent from return labels will be billed to me - the seller.

Your assumption is not correct. If you used a label generated through the eBay return, eBay shows a return ship cost upfront and that's a fixed cost. Doesn't matter if the buyer adds a literal brick to the package - you'll be billed only for the rate shown at the time you accepted the return and you will be billed for only 1 label no matter how many times the buyer sticks it on a package.

GLORIOUS!

Message 29 of 29
latest reply