cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returned item I sold them, but also sent me another item I did not sell them. What to do?

I had a buyer return an item I'd sold them. When I received the item back from them, I also received an item I had not sold nor ordered from them. I want to return this item and  have the buyer pay postage along with postage on the item they sent me that I did not order. How do I proceed?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Buyer returned item I sold them, but also sent me another item I did not sell them. What to do?

Why in the world would you want to stir this pot? If your item came back, refund. If another item came back, toss it.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

@sitonmycar wrote:

I had a buyer return an item I'd sold them. When I received the item back from them, I also received an item I had not sold nor ordered from them. I want to return this item and  have the buyer pay postage along with postage on the item they sent me that I did not order. How do I proceed?

If you really feel the need to proceed then contact the buyer and tell them  what happened. If they want the item back and are willing to pay for the shipping then fine (they could send you money via PayPal or other method). If they don't want to pay then the (extra) item is yours.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

All in the same package?  If so, they sound confused.  I would probably let they know, but leave solving the problem up to them.  

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

I refunded the buyer before I even received the item back because I admit I made a mistake in describing the item.

The label on the other item returned to me was ebay generated. I believe that means that I was charged for the shipment. I know I'm obligated to pay shipping of the item I sold and ebay authorized for return. But not the second item, which weighed about eight pounds.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

I do not want the other item sent to my by the buyer and I did not sign on to pay for shipping an eight  pound shipment across the country.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

I wish the two items were in the same package. But they were two separate Priority Mail shipments.

Solving the problem in my mind would be for the buyer to first compensate me for shipping the second item. And second deciding if they want the second item back. If so, they'd need to authorize to pay both shipping to me and shipping back to them.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

I refunded the buyer before I even received the item back because I admit I made a mistake in describing the item.

@sitonmycar 

Wow. You're lucky you got your item back after refunding without requiring a return. But now you say there are two separate packages, and one is not your sale?

If so... then, yes. Reach out to your buyer and ask them if they need the other item back for any reason. If they do, it's fine to ask them to send you the return shipping costs. If they don't, toss it.

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Did both packages have the same tracking number?

Have a great day
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@sitonmycar wrote:

I wish the two items were in the same package. But they were two separate Priority Mail shipments.

I'm guessing the buyer printed the same label twice in error and affixed it to 2 different packages. Did both items have the same tracking number @sitonmycar ? If so, you won't be billed twice. You'll just be billed shipping for the item from your own return request.

If that's what happened then I'd let the buyer know and if they want the second item back they will let you know and can provide a label or funds for a label.

If the labels have different tracking numbers then there could be a system issue, but I'm hesitant to speculate without more info.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

yes same tracking number. but the seconf item weighted twice as much. so i paid a lot more postage than if he'd just sent the item i sold him.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@sitonmycar wrote:

yes same tracking number. but the seconf item weighted twice as much. so i paid a lot more postage than if he'd just sent the item i sold him.

No, you didn't. Not if you used a label generated through the eBay return. eBay shows a return ship cost upfront and that's a fixed cost. Doesn't matter if the buyer adds a literal brick to the package - you'll be billed only for the rate shown at the time you accepted the return.

You're in the clear here financially. I'd message the buyer and let them know about their mix up. If they want the item back they can send you $ for a label or they can send you a prepaid label.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

I'm curious as to what this second item is.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

How did YOU pay postage on this item?

You received an item from a buyer.  The item was not one that you had sent the buyer.

The package came with postage on it, presumably paid by the buyer, not by you.

Again, how did you pay postage on the second package?  

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@sitonmycar wrote:

How do I proceed?

You proceed however you like.

Why are you so intent on returning the other item?

Message 15 of 29
latest reply