cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer opens case for INR, loses case. Opens Payment dispute for same reason, loses. Updates to NAD.

Buyer opens a case for item not received despite tracking showing delivered. I provide tracking, he loses the case. Buyer then opens a payment dispute with the same reason and I guess figures out that they won't win that either, because they update the dispute reason to not as described. 

Does anyone have any experience with this, and if so what information did you provide for the case? I kinda assume I have no chance of winning, but if there's a secret trick that's available I'd rather not be out $600 on an obvious scam.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Buyer opens case for INR, loses case. Opens Payment dispute for same reason, loses. Updates to NAD.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@redline_auto_llc wrote:

Buyer opens a case for item not received despite tracking showing delivered. I provide tracking, he loses the case. Buyer then opens a payment dispute with the same reason

I'm assuming they either did a PayPal dispute or cc chargeback because you can't open up another eBay case for the same reason.

There is also the possibility the buyer is claiming someone stole the package after delivery or it was misdelivered.

Even though signature confirmation is only required on $750, $600 is high enough where I would add it anyway. I usually do on anything $400 or more.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@redline_auto_llc wrote:

Buyer opens a case for item not received despite tracking showing delivered. I provide tracking, he loses the case. Buyer then opens a payment dispute with the same reason

I'm assuming they either did a PayPal dispute or cc chargeback because you can't open up another eBay case for the same reason.

There is also the possibility the buyer is claiming someone stole the package after delivery or it was misdelivered.

Even though signature confirmation is only required on $750, $600 is high enough where I would add it anyway. I usually do on anything $400 or more.

Yep, $400 is about my threshold as well. Business delivery or residential,  don't matter.   Those items go UPS with signature. 

Buyers gets a eBay message from me letting them know a Sig is required 

Posting ID
Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good that you inform your buyers as well so they can plan on being home.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

This was actually shipped with signature required, but that's not going to do any good for a not as described case with their financial institution I don't believe. 

I know for an absolute fact I will lose the case with their credit card company, I just find it a little bit ridiculous that I went from a open and shut case (that was found in my favor) for item not received to losing all seller protection because they changed the reason for the case with their financial institution after it was already opened.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

@redline_auto_llcwrote:
yI kinda assume I have no chance of winning, but if there's a secret trick that's available I'd rather not be out $600 on an obvious scam.

@redline_auto_llc:

You're right. You'll have next to no chance of winning. Be prepared to kiss your $600 item and your payment for it goodbye.

The best available "secret trick" to avoiding the loss of $600 is NOT to list similar high-value items on eBay or anywhere online in the first place. That is, unless you and your business model are prepared to absorb the loss of the item and  your payment for it to a scam buyer. It's so easy for the increasing number of buyers to successfully use any one of a number of scams out there these days, and the list is growing.

Instead, sell it locally for cash only on a venue like Craigslist or other local classifieds. That way you'll avoid shipping and credit card chargeback scams entirely.

Because eBay has yet to have any real teeth in "Seller Protections" that make a difference with scammers, I have stopped selling items online with a value of over $80. I have successfully used Craigslist and FB Marketplace for local sales of anything over that amount.

Cheers, Duffy 

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You never know. I hope the financial institution contacts you. I'm not sure how they handle these, but I do hope that they reach out to the seller (you) in some way and you can provide tracking/signature confirmation to bolster your case.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

... Even though signature confirmation is only required on $750, $600 is high enough where I would add it anyway. I usually do on anything $400 or more.

@Anonymous:

I actually use signature confirmation on any item over $50, as long as my COGS warrants it. Even at only $50, it's good INR protection and peace of mind.

By the way, gorgeous looking Siam image! I even have my Pookabear Chocolate-Point Siam on one of my credit cards.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

HAHA...thanks. Caught him giving me a nice slow blink 🙂 Siamese are the best!

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

Open up your word doc or notepad, screen shot all of the cases showing that the buyer changed his mind and then updated after the fact, put those in the document then send that document as proof. I think it's absolutely stupid that we only get to upload 1 single small file to tell our side but doing it the way I just described is the only way to get everything at once on a file. If the file is to big then just screen short the actual document and send that as the file. Confusing I know but it does work.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@laststopgeneralstore wrote:

Open up your word doc or notepad, screen shot all of the cases showing that the buyer changed his mind and then updated after the fact, put those in the document then send that document as proof. I think it's absolutely stupid that we only get to upload 1 single small file to tell our side but doing it the way I just described is the only way to get everything at once on a file. If the file is to big then just screen short the actual document and send that as the file. Confusing I know but it does work.

OP is past that stage. He/she already won.

His/Her fight is with the buyer's bank or credit card company now...

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

There are two different confirmed signatures...electronic or written. Do the written. I prefer USPS since they have a key for most doors to buildings where packages are left inside in San Francisco. They usually don't just drop package off. Fed Ex will not drop off package either. UPS does drop it off and they don't have a key to buildings in San Francisco. $75. or more I need a written signature confirmation. And I take a photo of package and send it to buyer with the confirmation.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

@redline_auto_llc  I would respond that the buyer should open a return request on ebay (if they have opened a chargeback with their cc bank). You can then send a return label and will issue a refund as soon as you receive it. They would have to have it in their possession in order to claim it was Not as Described. I'm kind of confused - did they open 2 payment disputes with their credit card or did they open another case for a refund with ebay, then with their cc?

There is a site called chargebackgurus that has some good info. You can also do a search for "What happens if you falsely dispute a credit card charge?" It is a crime. False chargebacks have become so prevalent, there are companies selling service/software to help merchants not get scammed. Using a 3rd part (like ebay, amazon, etc) adds another level of involvement that seriously impacts our ability to defend ourselves from scammers. The legal amount of time to dispute a cc transaction in the US is 60. Most cards offer up to 120 days. So if you accept the card for payment, you accept the TOS. Merchants are supposed to get 30 days to reply to a chargeback.

It is absurd that people get to blatantly lie and scam and no one defends the seller. There is no reason (that I can see) why ebay limits our ability by only allowing us to upload one small file that's expected to cover a myriad of proof. I would add that buyer to my Blocked Buyer List asap. And report them to ebay as abusing the MBG. Best of luck!

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

HAHA...thanks. Caught him giving me a nice slow blink 🙂 Siamese are the best!

They sure are! @house*of*paws and @*lady*madonna*  would agree too! 😽😻

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

@duffy4444 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

... Even though signature confirmation is only required on $750, $600 is high enough where I would add it anyway. I usually do on anything $400 or more.

@Anonymous:

I actually use signature confirmation on any item over $50, as long as my COGS warrants it. Even at only $50, it's good INR protection and peace of mind.

By the way, gorgeous looking Siam image! I even have my Pookabear Chocolate-Point Siam on one of my credit cards.

Cheers, Duffy

Ttotally agree ! @*lady*madonna*  and @house*of*paws  We LOVE Siamese cats!!

Message 15 of 35
latest reply