cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer filed INR. Tracking shows item late because item was forwarded.

Hi. I'd  really appreciate some advice.  On sent 2-1 I  I sent some relatively expensive 14k gold earrings to a buyer that had 0 feedback/ buyer info (other than she had a account with eBay for several years).  I thought it odd, but sent the item anyway, hoping maybe she was just checking out as a guest or something. After shipping item promptly, tracking showed that package arrived the next day in her city/state.  Two days later tracking showed it was being "Forwarded". I was concerned, especially since I used a printed label through eBay. I opened a package research case with USPS and their agent told me that it was being forwarded because of an incorrect address/forwarding request. The tracking shows many updates but  the last tracking  says it was forwarded again on 2-10, then says "package research closed" on 2-11. There hasn't been any more updates since and now (February 19), she has opened an INR case. I did reach out to her very nicely around 2-5  saying that because it was being forwarded (because of the address),  it would be late.  I never heard from her at all. The only thing she said in her INR message was "I want my refund".

Do you think this is a scam  , knowing the item will be late in the hopes of  getting both a refund from eBay, and to keep my item once it's delivered? 

I  uploaded the tracking number again through the case dispute  ( It was uploaded when I prepaid for the label),  And explained the scenario/gave tracking updates to eBay in my message . I also asked if they would give a 10 day extension before refunding her and consider in my favour since tracking shows it's being forwarded.  Do you think eBay will side with me? Is their anything else I should do? Thanks! 

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

...submit your tracking number and a brief explanation in comment box to the INR case about the history of your package why it's running around because buyer moved, USPS has to forward it...do not agree to refund her...it's none of your fault for her moving let alone how come she didn't submit her new home address when making a purchase...(I have been seeing and dealing with this issue every single day from my main career...)

...if the package couldn't successfully be forwarded, USPS will return back to sender, you, as no cost out from your pocket but that is considering time manner...

...you are protected from the moment the delivery status was scanned...any other scans as forwarding after that do not count...but...for your protection, immediately file intercept package with USPS...keep in mind that you will be charged $14.95 or more depends on locations (Zones) and sizes of your package if the interception was successful...although I don't see a positive of this step in your particular situation, just try it anyway...

...I wish you the best and, if you don't mind to let us know the outcomes after all...thank you...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Ps, i made a typo that made it look like I shipped the item 2-11, but I shipped it 2-1.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Try to intercept the package. I currently have the same issue. I have already been contacted by the buyer, but the Miami distribution center is known as a black hole where packages just stop moving. If eBay refunds, I will try to intercept the item.

My advice ids to first try an intercept. If the USPS agrees it is possible and will return the item to you, then go ahead and refund the buyer. You've got to move quickly though. 

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

It sounds like a scam, but not one I have run into myself.

Try to report the buyer if you feel there is any legitimate option to do so. Call CS and ask they open an investigation into this buyer and this address. Use all the contact options at your disposal. Stay cordial in all messages and phone calls.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Could very well be  a scam and is most likely one because they know they will get their automated refund no matter what. I know that buyers from certain countries that are known for having very slow customs exploit this as well. Obviously the expected timeframe should be extended if such information appears in tracking, but eBay cant be bothered because it is not like they lose any money anyways.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

...submit your tracking number and a brief explanation in comment box to the INR case about the history of your package why it's running around because buyer moved, USPS has to forward it...do not agree to refund her...it's none of your fault for her moving let alone how come she didn't submit her new home address when making a purchase...(I have been seeing and dealing with this issue every single day from my main career...)

...if the package couldn't successfully be forwarded, USPS will return back to sender, you, as no cost out from your pocket but that is considering time manner...

...you are protected from the moment the delivery status was scanned...any other scans as forwarding after that do not count...but...for your protection, immediately file intercept package with USPS...keep in mind that you will be charged $14.95 or more depends on locations (Zones) and sizes of your package if the interception was successful...although I don't see a positive of this step in your particular situation, just try it anyway...

...I wish you the best and, if you don't mind to let us know the outcomes after all...thank you...

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Thank you, it's unfortunate we have to go through this. I tried intercepting it through USPS website but after uploading tracking no. it said it was ineligible. I'm confused as to why, because they say first class mail is covered which is how I sent it. I'll try calling them tomorrow after the holiday. Good luck and hope it works out for you too. 

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Thanks, I'll do that. I've left an email message with eBay today (the "chat"  could only do so much) and will call them tomorrow. When you talk about contacts, how do you mean/How would I go about finding that out? Thanks again , i really appreciate it. 

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

I definitely agree, yes, eBay should definitely extend the timelines . I've had so many packages that were late due to USPS/non scanning issues. I don't sell that much, but just last week spent 4-5 hours filing package research cases talking to postal workers etc. They've actually been very helpful, but it would ease us seller's mind if we didn't think we'd lose money. 

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

It might be ineligible because it was forwarded.

Problem is going to be when the delivery scan shows a different zip code if they have a new one. I don't know what ebay did with those over the past years - the solution used to be to write DO NOT FORWARD on the package so it gets returned to you instead of forwarding to the new address.

According to eBay policy the buyer lost their MBG coverage when the package was forwarded, something you could note in your response to the case. The initial case may be closed by an automated bot, if it is appeal the case eBay should stand behind you and their own policy in this case. It is in all likely hood a scam attempt. From the MBG. 

a1.jpg

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

I really appreciate that, thank you. I tried intercepting but USPS website says the package is ineligible. I don't understand because I mailed it first class. I left an email to eBay, hopefully they'll contact me soon (if not, I'll call tomorrow). I'm a little nervous because I wonder if the buyer will try to retaliate. In my message box for the INR/tracking, I told eBay I suspected this may be a scam. It looks like eBay may have  sent this message to the buyer (?), even though I didn't check the "message to buyer box". Someone who bought an item of mine today just created their account today, (no feedback obviously).  I'm hoping since my item was promoted, she just happened to see it and opened a first time account so she could by it.  Although many buyers seem honest, it really is anxiety provoking.  I'll definitely come back here to update how everything went. Thanks for all your good support. 

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Sounds like a scam. the buyer places an order for an item and gets it shipped to an address. upon receiving it they use the same label and forward it to another address (does not need to be far can even be their neighbor's house) this causes a shift in address and thus you see forward. then they open an INR case with ebay. YOU WILL WIN if it shows it was delivered to the address at any point (before or after forwarded). your job as a seller is to sell the item and provide a label to the address they gave you on the platform, everything after that is out of your control.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Ps. Do you think I'm covered even though there's no scan that said "delivered"? It only said it's been forwarded. Also, if there's no scan that ever says it's been delivered in the future (so many carriers are not scanning packages these days), do you think I may still be covered since she had it forwarded? 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

According to eBay policy the buyer lost their MBG coverage when the package was forwarded, something you could note in your response to the case. The initial case may be closed by an automated bot, if it is appeal the case eBay should stand behind you and their own policy in this case. It is in all likely hood a scam attempt. From the MBG. 

a1.jpg

The problem is with the wording of 'mail redirection'. You could make the argument that a USPS forwarding request isn't really mail redirection, like a buyer calling up any carrier and trying to get the delivery location changed to somewhere else to get around the zip code delivery confirmation, but a valid USPS standard service.

USPS mail forwarding should be specifically called out, but it never was and isn't now.