cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer decided to get back at me by leaving me a bad feedback. What can I do now?

Ok guys, so a buyer (2 stars reputation total by the way) bought a computer that my dad listed. Link: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Dell-latitude-E6320-i7-2620M-2-70GHz-R-4GB-H-320-S-13-3-Win10-pro-Activated-...

So as the description states, my dad said no returns and said to refer to pictures (12 pictures posted, all angles covered). Anyways, after a while, the seller said he wanted a return because he found a cheaper item somewhere. Ebay stated that we don't have to return it as it's not our fault, and since we already had listed "no returns", we decided to decline the return and close the case.

Then he left a negative feedback on my dad's eBay profile, claiming that the LCD front trim was broken and we didn't mention it. Link: https://feedback.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=shahid504&&_trksid=p2047675.l2560&rt=...

First of all, I checked the computer before selling it as well and there was no damage at all to the LCD. Second, even if there was, we attached the pictures and stated that it's sold "as is". If there was a fault, it would have been in the pictures, and he shouldn't have bought it. Finally, the seller did not try to communicate with us in any way.

Now, I'm trying to find the option where you can leave a comment after a feedback, but I am unable to find it. Does anyone know where it is? Also, what should I do now. Our account had a nice 99.8% reputation and now it's ruined. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer decided to get back at me by leaving me a bad feedback. What can I do now?

@shahid504

"...First of all, I checked the computer before selling it as well and there was no damage at all to the LCD. Second, even if there was, we attached the pictures and stated that it's sold "as is". If there was a fault, it would have been in the pictures, and he shouldn't have bought it. Finally, the seller did not try to communicate with us in any way..."

We know in this case there was likely no damage because the buyer already informed you they found it cheaper elsewhere. But in some cases, there could be shipping damage, in which case eBay considers that to be the fault of the seller, not the carrier.  

It is not a good idea to tell buyers to refer to the pictures for condition information. That is risky because a buyer is likely to overlook a flaw, or a flaw may not be adequately represented. It is always best to include details of the item condition clearly spelled out in the description. It is for your benefit to do so. It might limit a case being opened against you when a buyer suddenly observes something they weren't expecting when the item arrives. Also, I am not a fan of "as is" listings. (That used to be against policy, but is allowed now.) However, as you can see, a buyer can get away with gaming the system regardless of your wording. "As is" does not protect  a seller in any way. It is like saying "Buyer beware" and we all know there is no such thing on eBay. It's "seller beware".

Lastly, a buyer does not have to contact a seller before leaving bad feedback. It would be preferable to contact the seller, but they do not have to.

Keep in mind that feedback no longer counts in a seller's metrics, so it cannot hurt your account like it once could. In fact, a well-thought out response to negative feedback can completely disarm it, leaving the seller looking very professional and the buyer, not so much. There is also such a thing as feedback revision. Sometimes a seller can come to an understanding with the disgruntled buyer and they will revise poor feedback to positive. That is an avenue open to you if you feel the negative is unbearable in some way. But you must be sure the buyer is receptive to such a request before it is suggested. Below is a link to more information about feedback revision.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/leaving-feedback-buyers/disputing-feedback-received?id=4102

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Buyer decided to get back at me by leaving me a bad feedback. What can I do now?

Also, does anyone know if there is a way I can block sellers with less than a certain number of stars or not? Would be really helpful.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

You can't block new buyers.

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReviewFeedbackLeft

Or

Leaving a follow-up comment on Feedback you left
  1. Click Site Map at the bottom of most eBay pages.
  2. Under Feedback, click Feedback Forum.
  3. Click the Follow Up to Feedback Left link on the right side of the page. ...
  4. Choose the comment you want to follow up on, and click the Follow up link.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I'm really sorry this happened to you.  Please don't let it get you down, there are bad buyers and bad sellers just as there are good buyers and good sellers.  i now that doesn't help you,and I am really sorry you experienced this.

Leaving a professional response assures your future buyers you are trustworthy.

You are not allowed to leave a neg for your buyer, if you have not already posted feedback for them.  You can't leave a negative comment in the positive format, either, which some have tried.  It is a seller violation.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I think you mean buyers and you can only block those with 3 or more unpaid strikes.

You cannot block new buyers or low feedback buyers.

However, you can add this particular buyer to your blocked list.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Actually, I don't see anything in the negative that you received which would qualify it for removal by eBay. 

By the way, a no return policy doesn't matter in the case of the item being not as described. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

You can contact eBay and explain the situation to them and ask them to remove the negative feedback.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@freshgear4less wrote:

You can contact eBay and explain the situation to them and ask them to remove the negative feedback.

nope! it doesn't qualify 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@jennzet-0 wrote:

I think you mean buyers and you can only block those with 3 or more unpaid strikes.

You cannot block new buyers or low feedback buyers.

However, you can add this particular buyer to your blocked list.

******************************************************************************************

Actually that is wrong info that a poster kept posting.  It is two or more unpaid item strikes.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

Actually, I don't see anything in the negative that you received which would qualify it for removal by eBay. 

By the way, a no return policy doesn't matter in the case of the item being not as described. 

I think some think that removes the possibility of a not as described return, as in, you're stuck with it, but the MBG, as you know, overrides that no returns policy.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@freshgear4less wrote:

With all due respect, on what grounds?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

If there was a fault, it would have been in the pictures, and he shouldn't have bought it. 

The only thing a picture proves is that you have access to a picture. eBay has no idea whether your pictures are accurate. They also have no idea what you shipped to your buyer, or what your  buyer received.  

Also, what should I do now. Our account had a nice 99.8% reputation and now it's ruined. 

You should learn that eBay's feedback system allows buyers to lie, and there is nothing you an do about it unless you happen to convince someone at eBay to take it down.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way I can block sellers with less than a certain number of stars or not? Would be really helpful.

You cannot block buyers based on their feedback score eBay is in the business of encouraging buyers, not discouraging them. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@shahid504

"...First of all, I checked the computer before selling it as well and there was no damage at all to the LCD. Second, even if there was, we attached the pictures and stated that it's sold "as is". If there was a fault, it would have been in the pictures, and he shouldn't have bought it. Finally, the seller did not try to communicate with us in any way..."

We know in this case there was likely no damage because the buyer already informed you they found it cheaper elsewhere. But in some cases, there could be shipping damage, in which case eBay considers that to be the fault of the seller, not the carrier.  

It is not a good idea to tell buyers to refer to the pictures for condition information. That is risky because a buyer is likely to overlook a flaw, or a flaw may not be adequately represented. It is always best to include details of the item condition clearly spelled out in the description. It is for your benefit to do so. It might limit a case being opened against you when a buyer suddenly observes something they weren't expecting when the item arrives. Also, I am not a fan of "as is" listings. (That used to be against policy, but is allowed now.) However, as you can see, a buyer can get away with gaming the system regardless of your wording. "As is" does not protect  a seller in any way. It is like saying "Buyer beware" and we all know there is no such thing on eBay. It's "seller beware".

Lastly, a buyer does not have to contact a seller before leaving bad feedback. It would be preferable to contact the seller, but they do not have to.

Keep in mind that feedback no longer counts in a seller's metrics, so it cannot hurt your account like it once could. In fact, a well-thought out response to negative feedback can completely disarm it, leaving the seller looking very professional and the buyer, not so much. There is also such a thing as feedback revision. Sometimes a seller can come to an understanding with the disgruntled buyer and they will revise poor feedback to positive. That is an avenue open to you if you feel the negative is unbearable in some way. But you must be sure the buyer is receptive to such a request before it is suggested. Below is a link to more information about feedback revision.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/leaving-feedback-buyers/disputing-feedback-received?id=4102

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

OK, I looked closely at the pictures and the the front trim "is" broken. The buyer stated exactly what they where unhappy about. NO, the feedback cannot be removed.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

At the bottom of the feedback page where all of your feedback is, click "reply to feedback received". Before replying, try calling ebay to get the feedback removed. Also, you can put him on your blocked bidder list, just google it. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply