cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims box was empty

Hi everyone, I shipped a box of enamelware dishes a couple weeks ago, shipment was tracked & said it was picked up at the post office after USPS couldn't deliver & left a notice. 5 days later buyer messaged me to say the box was empty. She sent pics of the packing material and the thank you note that was inside. The weight of the package when I shipped it would indicate it was not empty and the box didn't appear damaged. I can't rally any live human at eBay and not sure what to do. Any advice? I'm not super experienced at selling but the whole story is suspect to me.

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Buyer claims box was empty

@ittybitnot gave you good advice on what to do and say. 

You need to go to your post office with your receipt and asked to talk to the person in charge.  You don't mention how much the package weighed, but it must have been several pounds, right?

It's hard to imagine someone picking up a package at the post office counter (that is expecting a set of dishes) and not notice.  If it was me, I would have refused the package as soon as I picked it up and could tell that it was too light for an order of dishes. 

I would think it would be easy enough to have the post master from your location make a call to the person in charge at the location the package was picked up from to confirm that the box matched the weight that it started out with from your post office. 

Message 16 of 49
latest reply

Good, then the receipt shows the weight.

Message 17 of 49
latest reply

Follow the advice given by  ittybitnot if they have not opened an official case/claim with eBay or their CC company there is a chance you may never hear from them again. I had this happen once long ago before I used to wait at the counter to have the packages scanned into the system and obtain a receipt which shows the weight at the time the USPS took possession for the package. 

A couple of scammers have tried the empty box routine and after notes similar to the one ittybitnot mentioned I never heard from one of the scammers again. The other one filed a claim which I initially lost but appealed and won by providing a copy of the original receipt from the post office scan. 

All the scammers ended up in my BBL. 

Message 18 of 49
latest reply

Always get packages scanned by a person.  No protection if not scanned in by a human being.

Message 19 of 49
latest reply

The local post office final scan before delivery will usually photo and always record the weight of the package.  Get in touch with the local postmaster and give the tracking number and ask about what weight was recorded, and if the packaged appeared opened or damaged before being delivered.  Explain the person says it was "empty" which means if it did weigh correctly per the labels weight, then either the person is lying or the postal delivery carrier took the items, so then they would also get the delivery carrier involved and ask about what happened.

Message 20 of 49
latest reply

Appreciate all the advice. Since I wrote, I received multiple photos from the buyer and it does look like there's some damage to the box and most of the packing material was not in the box on arrival but I still don't see where it was smashed and re-taped to the extent the contents would have fallen out. I tend to tape the heck out of my boxes. Buyer offered to go to her PO where she knows the postmaster personally to report it. She did notice the box was very light when she picked it up. These were enamelware dishes so not terribly heavy. I think the box was less than 10 pounds. I did have it scanned at the counter and not sure I have receipt but do have tracking number. She seems to be cooperating so I'll see if I have recourse via the PO but assume I'll be refunding her however it goes. Her other feedback is good and I'm hopeful this is on the up and up. TBD but thanks, all, for the input.

Message 21 of 49
latest reply

If you think they're scamming I would ask them to return what was sent at their expense.  Why should they reap all the benefits of their dishonesty?

Message 22 of 49
latest reply

The dishes are probably in her kitchen cabinet, so she isn't lying about the box being empty.

Message 23 of 49
latest reply

For now, ignore them. I would fight if they do open a case. 

Just seems funny that someone would open a box and remove the plates and put the packing material and note back inside and it goes onto the buyer. 

A thief would have taken the whole box (no time to unpack), but it sounds like the buyer picked up the package at the post office. 

Here is the kicker, it took 5 days for the buyer realized the box was empty even after carrying it out of the post office. 

What does the buyer profile and all feedback (given / received) look like?

Message 24 of 49
latest reply

Appreciate all the advice. Since I wrote, I received multiple photos from the buyer and it does look like there's some damage to the box and most of the packing material was not in the box on arrival but I still don't see where it was smashed and re-taped to the extent the contents would have fallen out. I tend to tape the heck out of my boxes. Buyer offered to go to her PO where she knows the postmaster personally to report it. She did notice the box was very light when she picked it up. These were enamelware dishes so not terribly heavy. I think the box was less than 10 pounds. I did have it scanned at the counter and not sure I have receipt but do have tracking number. She seems to be cooperating so I'll see if I have recourse via the PO but assume I'll be refunding her however it goes. Her other feedback is good and I'm hopeful this is on the up and up. TBD but thanks, all, for the input.

If she is willing to go to the post office open a USPS claim and tell her she will need to retain the box and packing materials and anything that was inside the box. Once you have filed the claim with USPS they will probably request she bring the box into the post office for inspection to determine whether they are going to honor the claim. Generally when USPS damages a package they will leave a note on the package at delivery. But for the moment, until she actually opens a case, I would do nothing. Do NOT unilaterally refund, once you have done so it's game over. 

Message 25 of 49
latest reply

Well this is a more hopeful scenario, it may be a genuine problem from shipping.  Or shes really, really good and has done it a lot.  Check her feedback profile and see if you can glean a history of problem deliveries or something else that may seem off.

Message 26 of 49
latest reply

You get  points for the funniest answer. That made me laugh, thanks

Message 27 of 49
latest reply

Do what one of the poster said. Tell her you need to file an insurance claim on the “damaged parcel with the “missing” stuff. Tell them they need to see the box and to see that it was tampered with, or crushed, or dented or whatever. The PO may request she takes the box to her local PO when you file them claim. Then wait and see what the response is.

Message 28 of 49
latest reply

One thing is for sure. Not many Postal workers are going to take the chance of loosing their high paying jobs with benefits to pilfer a package. No way.

Message 29 of 49
latest reply

I am having a really really hard time even imagining a box of dishes disappearing unless you packed that box so badly that they fell out somewhere on the way. My opinion.

Message 30 of 49
latest reply