cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer, brand new account, wants me to ship to different address

I am pretty sure the answer is DON'T.  Besides refusing, what steps do I have to take to cancel the sale so I can relist the item?  What if the buyer leaves bad feedback because I would not complete the sale?   I assume ebay will remove it?

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Buyer, brand new account, wants me to ship to different address

Problem with buyer address, cancel sale

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Thank you.  I took care of it.  The buyer came back right away and insisted I call ebay and they would confirm that I am protected because it's right there in the communication.  That has scam written all over it.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

If you are asking about the $600. coat you just sold, then the answer is definitely no or heck no.  Cancel with problem with address (as mentioned).  I'm not sure if they can leave bad feedback, but not losing the money/coat would be the most important consideration for me. 

Ebay does claim they will cover you if the address change is in communication but paypal won't.  If they were aware of that rule, why did they not just enter the address they wanted when they paid?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@blj1008 wrote:

Thank you.  I took care of it.  The buyer came back right away and insisted I call ebay and they would confirm that I am protected because it's right there in the communication.  That has scam written all over it.

eBay will protect you based on communication supposedly.  PayPal will not.  The buyer can file with PayPal or a credit card chargeback and you wouldn’t have any protection shipping to a different address 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I wonder how this scenario is going to work once we're all in Managed Payments? Especially considering most CSR if asked will just "advise" the seller to "ship it anyway".
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

In addition to the above, I assume that the message you received is indeed from the ID of the buyer who purchased it. If it's from a different ID, that's a scam, and your actual buyer may know nothing about it. If the message did come from the ID of the account that bought it, then yes, decline the request and cancel on the basis of Problem with Buyer's Address. Add him to your Blocked Bidder List (here) to prevent future diificulties.

(I assume you listed that BuyItNow coat with Immediate Payment Required to ensure that you have really been paid for it, or that you have at least verified the buyer's payment in your PayPal account...)

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Yes, the messages are from the same account that bought the item, and the payment is there in my PayPal.

However, the name on the ebay account and the names in the PayPal payment (there are 2 there) do not match either.  

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@blj1008 wrote:

However, the name on the ebay account and the names in the PayPal payment (there are 2 there) do not match either.  

That's okay; that doesn't matter. I routinely get a payment under one name with a Ship To: address for another. All that's important is that you're shipping to the address received with the PayPal payment, and nowhere else. If your new buyer is paying with one address (the one received with the payment) but wanting you to change it to someplace else, that's a red flag, and not a request that you have to (or should) honor.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

This time of year many buyers will have you ship a gift directly to the recipient.  It is quite normal for this request to come in during the holiday selling season.  Also eBay has told us as long as the info is in the eBay message system about shipping to an alternative address sellers would be covered.

We get this kind of request literally every week.  I do not recall it ever being a problem?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

That all makes sense with the gift, however, last year I sold many high dollar items, and I received disputes on 3 of them from the PP account owner claiming it was an unauthorized transaction.  All 3 of these purchases were made from brand new ebay accounts in New York.  This one is exactly the same so I can't help but suspect.

Those 3 items were all shipped to a confirmed address so fortunately I was covered by seller protection.  

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Just as a side note:  some accounts may have multiple people with access.  So don't trust that since it's the same "buyer" writing you that it's actually the same person. 

(Yeah, we had a huge mess with a buyer with at least one co-worker who also had access to his acct and talk about significant weirdness - did not end well since a CS in the Phillipines took it upon him/herself to ignore all the notes on the account and escalate for no apparent reason.)

~M

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Also eBay has told us as long as the info is in the eBay message system about shipping to an alternative address sellers would be covered.

Unfortunately, "ebay" neglected to mention that shipping to an address different than what is provided in PayPal is NOT elegible for any protection from the PayPal INR.  eBay staff only can address this issue from an "ebay" standpoint, and omit the pertinent details regarding a subsequent PayPal claim for the same item.  The seller will be thrown under the bus should a PayPal claim arise regardless of what is in eBay messages or what any eBay staff member says.  

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

A "confirmed address" doesn't have anything to with Seller Protection.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

6 dollars yes, 600 dollars heck no.  Pretty simple

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply