cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer bought an item not in my active listings, I already sold it back in 2022

This was an odd one,
I had an order come in last night, item# 265714748557
I sold this back in 2022, and it was not in my active listings.
Shown on the listing, "Start time: May 30, 2022 04:25:34 AM PDT".
My sales records do not go back that far, to prove I sold this.

This is a rare used car part. Not quite one-of-a-kind, but a unique listing for sure.
I have no way to fulfill the order, I will have to refund and apologize to the buyer.

Why did this happen?
Thanks for any guidance.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

There shows in "revision history" that the listing was updated Dec. 25 2023 for the Bin Price.  So it was 'still around'  then.  ????

Whether it is an error or a result of a "ghost listing" you will have to refund the buyer. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Shows BIN price was revised in December 2023?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Welcome to the ghost listing club. You can CALL the person and explain and MAYBE they will agree to 'ask' for cancellation.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I notice that there was local pickup on the item........so wonder if you couldn't have sold it via that and just not taken down the listing..........

Couldn't find a "sold" listing in Terapeak. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

You have to call The Ghostbusters!!, It's a ghost listing, It has happened to me as well!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Checking your active listings occasionally can help prevent these particular inventory control issues.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@broto_64 wrote:

Checking your active listings occasionally can help prevent these particular inventory control issues.

I'm not sure it would show. THe one time I had a ghost listing (of an item I'd sold 2 years prior), the item never showed in my active listings until it suddenly sold.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@broto_64 wrote:

I'm not sure it would show. THe one time I had a ghost listing (of an item I'd sold 2 years prior), the item never showed in my active listings until it suddenly sold.

The group of sellers who have so-called "ghost listings" are in a distinct minority.
I've never had such a thing, but I can tell you I've had mental lapses.

Just a week or two ago a buyer purchased something...

In my listings I have it in an html remark (invisible to the buyer) the location where the item is in my inventory.
I looked, and it wasn't there.
I looked again.

Then I went through my entire inventory, every location, looking for it (just in case I had placed it elsewhere).
No luck.

Did you know the mind can fabricate false memories?

For example, I thought that I had already sold this item years ago. Then that thought led to me thinking of having had a ghost listing experience with enough conviction I was just starting to believe this may have indeed been the case.

Puzzled I thought about my options.

Looked through the original inventory location as stated in my html remark again, and found the item.

Twice I had looked there before, and did not see it.

Isn't it amazing?

Do you think I should have come here instead and reported about my ghost listing?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

This is my worst nightmare about using Ebay.  I delete all my posts even if they are listed as sold for fear of this kind of thing happening.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Like poster eight said they sometimes don't show up on your active list.

'inventory control issues.' sounds like a 'nice' way of saying it's the seller fault.

Had two of the same record, listed one, sold it, did sell similar - changed photos and condition, list new version.

Four months later refreshed scheduled list and count is one too many -  find both versions on it.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

This happens to me about once every 10 years.  It is just one reason that I end about 5% of my listings each week and then relist using sell similar.  Before relisting I always check either mentally or physically that I know where the item is located in my stock.  There are always items that are rather old listings, I have many long tail items, that I can't picture in my mind, and I have to physically locate them before I relist, especially books.  It is not that uncommon for me to try to relist an item but I stop when I can't find it or when I am pretty sure it already sold.  Don't know if that is because of a ghost in the Ebay machine or a glitch in my brain, of which there are plenty these days..  Anyways, checking about 5% of my listings each week tends to correct such errors.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply