cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of the Ground Advantage Gotchas!!

I went to ship a package today and got a big shock.  Packed the first time it weighed 4oz and was 22-1/2" long (x4x3/8").  I  ended up trimming 1/2" off it's length to keep from paying twice as much, and way more than my buyer paid for shipping!

Always round up, the USPS is.

Beware of the traps:

>22" long, add $4

>30"long, add $7

>1728 cu in, pay actual or dim weight, which ever is greater

>3456 cu in, add $15

if girth+length/166 is greater than actual weight, pay dim rate

If girth+length >108, pay oversize rate (you don't even want to go there!)

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Beware of the Ground Advantage Gotchas!!

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

best to enter weight and full dim's when listing. 

It's another USPS gotcha for odd size that has been in place for a year+

@sextons-sweet-deals 

^^ This gotcha is new to me... please expand. I ask because when I revised all my FC ball cap listings last night (to GA)... I entered the package size of 7" x 11" x 6" (like always), but also ticked 'Irregular package' on my listings, too... the first time I remember seeing it. It may have been there before, but...

I ticked it because my ballcaps ship in packages that finish something like this. Should I un-tick 'Irregular Package'??? I mean, so far I've only been paying the regular rate... like regular packages. (7" x 11" x 6" are widest/highest/longest.)

@nobody*s_perfect... what is your take?

IMG_20230603_195851039~2.jpg

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

The OP's "gotcha" referred to dimensional rates and length-related surcharges, not to the finer points of "irregular" parcels.  If you haven't been checking off "irregular," I certainly wouldn't start now.  DMM hasn't yet been updated to reflect the July 9 changes, so we'll have to wait for that update to see details about Ground Advantage.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@bigtexasyardsale wrote:

Enough of the piling on already!  I never ran in to it so its new to me, and I'm sure there are LOTS of others who don't know about it.  

@bigtexasyardsale   Well boo hoo for you and any other seller that doesn't keep up with eBay policies then later lays blame on anything else or makes false accusations rather than taking personal responsibility.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Do you use calculated shipping ? If so it will tell you the exact amount you pay when you set up the shipping calculations. If you do not use calculated shipping I suggest you start using it.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@mybigsale wrote:

I've been on eBay for over 20 years and have never had a USPS claim denied (I have seen the many posts about USPS denying claims).

I would love for this to be a new thread to share your experience and tips for USPS claims.  We have never lost a claim for a LOST package, but have never won a claim now that all damage claims ( even ones with USPS damaged stickers/ letters/ rebags) require the buyer to drop off the parcel at their local postmaster in person along with the USPS mailed letter that comes with the claim that you have to get to the buyer before they drive it to their local PO.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

You got to watch those package sizes.  The price can really jump when you go over.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Thank you so much... I've removed 'Irregular', just in case. If I had a Payroll, I'd be adding you to it! 😚

P.S. The way I ship, I get an 8 oz. package. If I boxed  each, I'd be looking at 12 oz. and above. :ebayboxwmoney:

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@plumeriabreeze 

have never won a claim now that all damage claims ( even ones with USPS damaged stickers/ letters/ rebags) require the buyer to drop off the parcel at their local postmaster in person along with the USPS mailed letter that comes with the claim that you have to get to the buyer before they drive it to their local PO.

I have always filed claims online at USPS from my USPS Account. Buyers have always been happy to provide pictures of packaging and damage which I include in the claim. I always ask the buyer to please set aside the packaging and item until I hear back about the claim. I have rarely been asked by USPS to take the Item and Packing to a USPS office.

Hopefully I will not start getting a new experience with USPS Claim Denials.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply