cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Webinterpret’s scam that ebay is allowing

A couple of days ago a banner within my Seller Hub advertised reaching buyers in ebay international sites (shown in screenshot). I clicked it to learn what it was about. It pushed me to a 3rd party page (Webinterpret) explaining what it was and allowed me to register/sign up for their service. I didn’t sign up and just closed the page.

The next day, Webinterpret hacked into my ebay account. They duplicated all of my listings 4-6 times each listing. My usual 200 live listings became over 1200 listings. Each listing was specific to an ebay international website (au, uk, ca, de, etc.). They basically duplicated my inventory quantity as well… obviously I don’t have that much inventory to cover it. Beware, this is on ebay’s Main Seller Hub page that ebay is advertising.

Read further if you want to know ebay’s response to this:

I called my ebay concierge and after a few hours of asking around and researching, he called me back and said the company has been with ebay since 2011, they shouldn’t have access to your account without your signing up, authorizing, generating a token, etc. I told him I did none of that and the agent was confused on how the company was able to hack into my account like that. The agent helped me remove the duplicate listings manually (took awhile) and revoked any access from that company to my account. I checked and it appears many ebay members (dated as far back as 4 years) had the exact same thing happen to them and did the revoking, only to find months later the company hacks back into their accounts doing the same thing… sometimes even billing them. Ebay says they will check on it, but then again… this problem has been around for at least 4 years now and ebay hasn’t done anything about it.

I’m just warning others to NOT click on that banner.

Screenshot 2018-05-04 15.20.24.jpg

Message 1 of 365
latest reply
364 REPLIES 364

Re: Beware of Webinterpret’s scam that ebay is allowing

Woke up, check email and see this message "Your selling privileges have been temporarily restricted on eBay: Duplicate Listings"

I check all the listings ebay removed and found that all the duplicated listing is international listings created by Webinterpret.

I call ebay, they said no one report this problem yet. They will submit one to investigate but I still can not sell for 7 days. 

Ebay can not do anything about this yet.

Message 286 of 365
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's an unpleasant new twist - accounts are actually getting suspended because Webinterpret is duplicating listings?

Message 287 of 365
latest reply

Yup, both listing in EU currency.
Message 288 of 365
latest reply

Perhaps ebay forgot to tell the 'bots that Webinterpret was on the 'partnered' list?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 289 of 365
latest reply

@ergp wrote:

I call ebay, they said no one report this problem yet. They will submit one to investigate but I still can not sell for 7 days. 

Ebay can not do anything about this yet.

HAHAHAHA... that's classic. "no one reported this problem yet." Tell them to refer to all of the calls they got in May about this.

Message 290 of 365
latest reply

Exchange rates provided by Google, or xe.com, are like wholesale rates that large volume traders would get.  We pay retail rates.  If you think PP's rates of exchange are bad, try doing an exchange anywhere else, and you will fare no better.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 291 of 365
latest reply

This is the worst thing I've seen eBay do in a long time. They're funneling sellers into a complex debacle. It's not easy to extract yourself from this company.

Message 292 of 365
latest reply

What a nightmare! We had to disable all international shipping to get this to stop. There is no Customer Service for Webinterpret, no telephone number, no live chat, just an email that sends you back into the endless loop of no help whatever! Called eBay and they said there was nothing they could do, we clicked the link so it is our problem.
Message 293 of 365
latest reply

alan@ebay

People still seem to be having problems with Webinterpret and there seems to be even less help, assistance or even input from ebay. 

Since ebay apologized, have they washed their hands of the problem - even though sellers are getting suspended for the dups that Webinterpret are listing?

Do you think you might put someone on it to find out what the current status is - whether Webinterpret is going to do anything about this, whether ebay is going to do something, is it just in the contract and it will have to play out as it does, or what is going on?  It's been almost 3 weeks and nobody has responded here.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 294 of 365
latest reply

Hey alan@eBay, 

You acknowledged that eBay was aware of the one-click enrolment and confirmed that it was an error... You confirmed this back in MAY of this year. It is now OCTOBER and yet this so-called "glitch" has not been fixed. In fact, eBay has created more links to Webinterpret enrolment, except now they have removed the name WEBINTERPRET entirely to mask the notorious scam of a company behind this deal. 

TO ALL SELLERS: You may have noticed that eBay has doubled-down recently on there criminal partnership with Webinterpret by installing a link to enroll with Webinterpret right in our SELLER HUB page. DO NOT CLICK ON THAT. CALL EBAY AND DEMAND THEY REMOVE THAT LINK FROM OUR SELLER HUB! EVEN AN ACCIDENTAL CLICK OF THAT LINK WILL ENROLL YOU IN THE WEBINTERPRET PROGRAM OF WHICH IT IS NEAR-IMPOSSIBLE TO OPT-OUT!

Message 295 of 365
latest reply

alan@ebay

ON MAY 9, alan@ebay said "We corrected the banner during the day on May 4th. Now, if the banner is clicked, you'll land on a page where you can choose to opt-in."

FLAT OUT LIES! I was automatically opted into this nonsense of a program with a single click... in SEPTEMBER!

One-click enrolment means that eBay is selling our private information to Webinterpret. Plain and simple.

Since none of us ever had to wilfully input our personal information to enrol in Webinterpret's program, this means that they obtained our information through eBay.

eBay must have a contract with Webintrepret that says they will hand over the private contact information of each and every eBay member who clicks on ANY of those links. There is no other way our information is getting to Webinterpret.

Hey, alan@ebay, What do you have to say to this illegal sale of our private information?

Message 296 of 365
latest reply

October 5th this same thing happened to me. All I did was click learn more, never actully clicked the sign-up link. I am astonished that this has been happening since May. This is not a glitch. I wonder if the “boost sales in just one click” slogan in the banner is a loophole....since you literally click once and you are enrolled with no consent. Unbelievable.

Message 297 of 365
latest reply

Also, the third party token was listed in my eBay as Lithium Technologies or something like that...not WebInterpret. Where is Alan? Why did Alan say it was fixed and now Alan is not responding?

Message 298 of 365
latest reply

@b.shanks wrote:

October 5th this same thing happened to me. All I did was click learn more, never actully clicked the sign-up link. I am astonished that this has been happening since May. This is not a glitch. I wonder if the “boost sales in just one click” slogan in the banner is a loophole....since you literally click once and you are enrolled with no consent. Unbelievable.

This is exactly why I never click on ANY eBay banner or ad anymore since I got hit with webinterpret. Call me paranoid, but practicing abstinence is the only way we can avoid being "infected". 

And I say again. I am astonished a story of this caliber hasn't hit any major tv news channels yet. I would think this is a pretty juicy piece of information that the stations will eat up. We see worse stories on there regarding the Brazil Rain Forest more often.

Message 299 of 365
latest reply

How do you get rid of it. They have no phone, no chat, don't answer emails.
Message 300 of 365
latest reply