cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Offer (Immediate Payment Required For Buyer)

Under "Buyer Management"  I have checked off: Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

The buyer made and offer and I accepted the offer but still haven't received payment, if that box was checked when I accepted the offer, why didn't the payment go through immediately and still waiting for the buyer to pay?

Thanks

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Best Offer (Immediate Payment Required For Buyer)

@cloud5000000 

This feature is still in testing and does not apply to all buyers/offers.

I expect it will go site wide in the coming months....or maybe not if it turns out that it has an overall negative effect on sales.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Even though I have that feature turned on, the immediate payment can slip through the cracks, Ebay shouldn't have it work for some and not for others, when that box is checked and applied.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@cloud5000000 wrote:

Even though I have that feature turned on, the immediate payment can slip through the cracks, Ebay shouldn't have it work for some and not for others, when that box is checked and applied.

What part of "In Testing" do you not understand? eBay added to the option for seller to opt-out if they wanted to (some did want to) now during the testing process and presumably later if it becomes the standard for all offers.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I absolutely hate this feature as a buyer because it prevents me from using PayPal Pay-in-4. requires a full up-front payment which I wont do. Keep this in mind. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

if that box was checked when I accepted the offer, why didn't the payment go through immediately and still waiting for the buyer to pay?

@cloud5000000 

The settings that require a buyer to put up a payment source prior to making and off or submitting a bid, don't work until the BUYER ID is forced into the program as well.   They are enrolling more every day, and the seller is told which offers will be paid right away.  That way you can select to accept an offer for $50 from someone who will be billed immediately, and reject one for $100 that might not pay instantly. 

Many buyers do not like this program since it removes many of the choices for payment and will not allow combining items for one shipping price.  If you do not want buyers to be able to make an offer or bid on multiple items from you, be sure to keep it in place.  This is supposed to help get rid of buyers that do not pay, but it also discourages those that DO pay as well.  You are welcomed to limit your buyer pool any way you like.  

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@cloud5000000 wrote:

Unless you saw "We'll automatically charge the buyer ..." in a shade-out for the offer you received @cloud5000000 

ra876999_0-1692458512762.jpeg

that buyer was not required to provide an automatic payment method when they made you their best offer.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

This is an absolutely terrible policy.  We have been on eBay since February 1998 and have 100% positive feedback, over 1,700, both as buyers and sellers.

We buy frequently, and several times per month make offers to buy.  Now, on most items when we try to put in a best offer we are asked prior to the offer being submitted to put in our payment information, which then is in eBay possession and stored permanently with eBay!

Here’s the fine print at the end of the process to put in a best offer: “By selecting Continue, you authorize eBay to link your PayPal account (or credit card) to your eBay account and use it to collect payment from you for items you offer to buy or win at auction on eBay.”

Wow!  You’ve got to be kidding me!  It's not temporary - just for the one item you're making the offer on!  Anyone who cares about their financial affairs remaining private would never agree to such a thing.

Big corporations get hacked all the time.   Even Equifax got hacked.

Anyone with half a brain will not be putting in best offers.  They understand the risk.

As I understand it, this is eBay’s new default policy.  And I understand from talking with an eBay representative that Sellers can uncheck the requirement for immediate payment when they make their listings.

To all sellers, (like us) who want to get the most offers, I suggest you not require immediate payment on auctions, or you are restricting your market severely.

I also suggest everyone reading this to tell eBay how you feel, so maybe they will change back from this ridiculous new policy.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I've tried to make multiple best offers over the last few days, and have gotten this immediate payment requirement on all of them.

I refuse to use it.  For one thing, it is a security hazard, as I will not let ebay have access to my financial information; it is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!  Additionally, it does not allow me to use different payment methods.  I might use one credit card for one purchase, but another credit card on the next one.  If the purchase is over $100, I'll use paypal credit.  This new requirement does not allow the buyer to do this.

Ebay needs to reverse this ill-conceived policy change.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@cloud5000000 

This feature is still in testing and does not apply to all buyers/offers.

I expect it will go site wide in the coming months....or maybe not if it turns out that it has an overall negative effect on sales.

Tend to agree and while it may or may not have an impact on sales it will, for those sellers that use it, certainly cut down on the non-paying buyers. The non-paying buyers was the reason eBay put this option into place and it is analogous to the IPR that is required on BIN. However, this is one of those instances where you should be careful what you ask for without considering the adverse impacts. 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I personally rather have item off market for 4 days then have that garbage turned on.

Most items that get relisted sell faster anyways, and now it gives an impression that I actually sold one because I use the oos function to keep the listing alive.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@sdchargerfan-14 

security hazard ????   You will provide the same information when you pay without pre-authorizing.

As to choice of payment method..................  I have not made any offers under these conditions, but others have posted that each time you make an offer......... you should be presented with a choice of the payment method if you drill on in far enough before submitting.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

It gives me the choice of linking to my paypal account, or to put my credit card information directly into ebay.

If I link to my paypal account, it would seem that it would then default to whatever credit card I put as my primary payment acct.  So, I would have to first go to paypal, make sure my primary source is what I want, and then make an offer on ebay.  I then, cannot make another best offer, unless I want that payment to come from the same source.  If I want a different payment source, I would have to go back to paypal, and change my primary source.

So basically, to make an offer on ebay, I would have to first go to paypal before making each and every best offer to make sure the primary source is what I want it to be for that specific best offer.  That is way to much effort required.

As far as linking my credit cards directly to ebay, I refuse to do that, as I consider it unsecure.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@cloud5000000 wrote:

You are talking about two completely different things

What you see in Your Buyer Requirements is still being tested and is not yet site wide, so that is why, even though you have that setting checked off it did not work

The other kind is called IPR [immediate payment required].  That you can use on Fixed Price listing.  There will be an option in your listing set up that you would need to check to require the payment upon purchase.  Again ONLY for Fixed Price listings.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Nope.  I'm done with ebay and PayPal.  This is just too much work for me to purchase something.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply