cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUYER PURCHASED ITEM NOW WANTS LOWER PRICE

Two days after listing a top, a buyer messaged offering for lower price.  Before I could respond she purchased the top then asked for a refund to lower the item to the price she wanted to pay. Since I had not yet shipped the item, I refunded her payment, which it seems has irritated her. Am I in the wrong?  

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

You're not wrong in my book......  But hope you used buyer requested as the reason.

I would have messaged the buyer that I was sorry, but I couldn't lower the price and did she want to cancel before I canceled.........

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

No you were not wrong. Once a buyer clicks the buy now button (or wins an auction) it's too late to ask for lower prices. Trying to force a price drop in this way is not ok.

I hope you put this buyer on your block list.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Am I in the wrong?  

Only if you did not refund for one of the "correct" reasons.   Buyer is asking for something not in the listing I don't think is one of them.  You may be assigned a defect for just a plain refund. 

Sometimes, on ebay, the consequeces for being right are not so good. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

You state you refunded the buyer, but did you also cancel the transaction, and what reason did you choose if you cancelled? 

I'm not saying you were wrong to do what you did but I'm trying to determine if you hurt yourself in the process.   If the buyer didn't ask to cancel, then ebay will not view what you did as proper. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

She's irritated because it didn't work. You might be able to report the buyer for asking for something not in the listing.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Another amazing ebay buyer that appears desperate to be blocked.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@kaelykat wrote:

No you were not wrong. Once a buyer clicks the buy now button (or wins an auction) it's too late to ask for lower prices. Trying to force a price drop in this way is not ok.

Along with this you should also be calling eBay and reporting the message as an unreasonable demand after the sale.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@kaelykat wrote:

Along with this you should also be calling eBay and reporting the message as an unreasonable demand after the sale.

Good Luck Selling!

Ebay will see your back and forth messages so they'll side with you I think since you never agreed to the lower price before selling it.  And I agree with the block list, too.

"In the end, only kindness matters."
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Another amazing ebay buyer that appears desperate to be blocked.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@everythinglovely wrote:

Two days after listing a top, a buyer messaged offering for lower price.  Before I could respond she purchased the top then asked for a refund to lower the item to the price she wanted to pay. Since I had not yet shipped the item, I refunded her payment, which it seems has irritated her. Am I in the wrong?  

I wish eBay would add an option to cancel for:  "buyer made unreasonable demands/asked for a lower price after payment was made". 

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

You're not wrong in my book......  But hope you used buyer requested as the reason.

I would have messaged the buyer that I was sorry, but I couldn't lower the price and did she want to cancel before I canceled.........

yeah in this case, a seller is justified in using "buyer requested cancellation".  Even if the buyer complains to eBay, all a seller has to do is show eBay the buyer's messages and the CS rep should remove any negative FB that the buyer might leave. 

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

No, you aren't wrong, but the proper way to proceed in that situation is to tell her that you are sorry, but cannot reduce the price after the sale, but would be happy to cancel the transaction if she so chooses.

If she doesn't, cancel it yourself using the buyer requested cancelation option.

As always, put this buyer on your black list.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I cancelled using buyer requested a cancellation because she actually stated in her message that she had purchased the top so "no one else could" and now wanted such and such price.  One message after another came trying to pressure me into lowering it to "her price."  I did block her. So far no defect from ebay.  The whole thing was very frustrating... ugh. A true lesson learnt.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

You're not wrong in my book...... But hope you used buyer requested as the reason.
Message 15 of 18
latest reply