cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BROKEN SEARCH ENGINE ??? why would ebay make it so FRUSTRATING

is anyone else having issues find items on ebay ? wow 5 days in a row i have been trying to find items and i get WACKED results , i am searching as a buyer and seller . 80% of my searches i get so frustrated i purchase elsewhere . example . i just searched for " Legendary Ladies " ebays broken search engine shows Legenday shoes , legendary star wars toys , legenday playing cards .... FRUSTRATING ( as i a buyer and seller ) when i added to the search goddess deck ........... WOW it showed up BROKEN ............ wow no wonder my sales are thru the floor BROKEN by EBAY ... what I*****t would think of this LUNACY frustrate buyers and seller .

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: BROKEN SEARCH ENGINE ??? why would ebay make it so FRUSTRATING

Did you put the search term in quotation marks?

"Legendary Ladies"

That would (supposedly) search for the exact term. It should narrow down and focus the results.

(of course, most buyers don't know this)

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

That's not broken, it's working exactly the way it's supposed to: all of those items have both the word "legendary" and the word "ladies/lady" in the title. If you want to search for something that is specifically titled "Legendary Ladies," you need to put that in quotation marks so that the search engine knows that you want those words to show up in that exact order.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

You can slim your search by looking at the categories to the left side when the search results some up.  If you want a book, look in the book group and if it's clothes then look in clothes.  The search engine is fine as it will try to give you a broad view of what you are looking for and you can refine with more words or the correct category.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

He also told me that he searched and searched on ebay using whole phrases, partials, individual words etc and finally found it by googling it. He followed a Pic click link which is how he found our ebay listing. He said every word in our title were exactly what he searched for.

What is the item, and what were the keywords used for the search? If you enter the item title exactly into the search and your listing does not appear in the search results, that can be a sign that you have listed in the wrong category. Or possibly the item has not been indexed yet if it was just listed.

For certain keywords, eBay will steer the search to a particular category. If you list in another category, your item will not be found using those keywords.

eBay does things like that because users complain that when they search, they see lots of results that have nothing to do with what they are searching for, so eBay tries to make it easier for those users by guessing what category that are intending to search. Sometimes eBay guesses wrong, though, or sellers pick the wrong category to list in.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Well have to agree with you on say two word search: that the first results should be such items, them two words are used in consecutive order, and then the rest later....

The order of the results shown is determined by the user's chosen sort order. If you use "Best Match", eBay will try to serve the items that eBay thinks best meet your search criteria. Less likely results will be further down the list of results.

But if you choose "Ending Soonest" or "Newly listed" as your sort order, eBay will serve all the results that match your keywords in the order you specify.

If you search legendary ladies using Best Match, the book results are indeed at the top of the results, along with some Legendary brand ladies shirts and other books with the same words in the titles:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=legendary+ladies&_sacat=0&_sop=12

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

ITS THE TITLE wow guess we should use the title is that what you are saying ?  That would be way to END USER friendly lets just frustrate the customer by giving them a BROKEN search engine FAILURE ebay once again . again 80% of my searchs are so frustrating i buy elsewhere  . again its broken 

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

its the first two words of the title ....... that means its BROKEN , please take a look at the pic i added to another reply . again 80% of the items i search for , i purchase elsewhere as ebays search engine is frustrating at best BROKEN ... think end user friendly thats what ebay needs to do , not ebay programmer friendly 

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

I probably do 30-50 searches a day, most days, researching  for items I'm going to sell.......  I don't know when I've been unable to find those items.  Certainly, in some cases I've had to reword my search terms to get the best results..... but that's true of any search I've ever done anywhere.........and I do search Google about half the time as well..........

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

its the first two words of the title ....... that means its BROKEN , please take a look at the pic i added to another reply

I can see three search results in that picture, and all three contain in the title the word legendary and also some variation of ladies or lady. Clearly the first two words of the title alone are not enough to specify what you are looking for without finding additional items.

Did you try putting your search term in quotes?

"legendary ladies"

Did you try adding additional keywords from the book title or the author's name?

If the search is not showing you what you want to see (or is showing you something else you do not want to see) then you can try a different search or you can decide the search is broken and give up -- it is up to you.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

again End user friendly not EBAY PROGRAMMER FRIENDLY , i mean really isnt it about the custpomer NOT EBAY ,( without the customer ebay would not be here ) again its broken ...i wish peop;le would stop giving this company excuses for there failures .. again 80% of my searches on ebay are so frustrating i purchase elsewhere , the harder you make it to find something on this site , the less likely a customer will find and purchase the item 

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

It is straight-up horribly broken at this point, sort of rampant "machine learning" that tries to interpret your search and mobs you with a thousand things that were not what you were looking for.  The options in the advanced search don't work at all anymore also.  Here is an example:  There is a vintage Warhammer model called Heckler Smith, at any given time this should only turn up 1-5 results as it is pretty old and rare at this point.  If you type in Heckler Smith into the regular search you get no results that give this search term/item, but you get 1000+ results for gun holsters because ebay thinks that you want something either from Heckler & Koch or Smith & Wesson, and doesn't try to search for your thing at all.  Then if you use advanced search and specify it should only return your exact words in the exact order you typed them, the results totally ignore this and give you exactly the same search results as the basic search -  which again just returns a bunch of gun holsters, none of the listings having both or possibly any of your search terms.  Ebay has gotten so crooked and bad at this point they are just shooting themselves in the foot at this point.  Sad. 

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

WRONG.  See my response above about the actual problem.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

I was just researching records and found I had to put "records (what I want) Columbia (name of studio) then the key words of one song and/or the band/singer's name. I found this out after about 4 tries of getting no results (I was getting record winning athletes, charts with names of winners that broke records) When I did it the last way, the records I was searching for came up! They hadn't the first time. I agree, no one should have to work that hard to find an item they want. 

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Nope, search engine works just fine. You typed in 2 words with nothing after it. How is any search engine suppose to know what that is? Is it a car? book? game? house? shoes? etc... It's like going up to a stranger and asking them "hey you remember the guy the other week with the hat?". Be a little more descriptive. Also, the reason your not getting sales has very very little to do with the search engine and everything to do with what your selling, prices, titles, optimization etc...

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

I'm a software engineer, its broken unless you're considering search resultant queries to yield results as was the case 20+ years ago.  Technology has come a very long way since then in resultant data sets.

They've seemingly removed heuristic searching aka: "Asassin" is now quite different than "Assassin" for example.   Type "Asassin creed III" at the home page, look at the results.  Now type "Assassin creed III" and wow, what a difference.  You expect consumers to spell everything right?  Expect them to "Drill down" on search criteria as if they were database administrators?  Uh no and I mean uh no, not ever.

The entire reason search technology over the past twenty plus years has evolved is due to web users and content producers not knowing what is required to refine search results against an SQL oriented database.  There's literally an entire industry that revolves around "Search Engine Optimization" (SEO) and trust me, this isn't it. 

One can speculate all forms of reasons as to why, I can tell you it used to work fairly decent.

It could be that eBay is undergoing a massive reconstruction of all things product related on the site which would beckon to ask why.  It could be that they are working in a psychological fashion so as sellers give up it fits a timetable by which the entire service ends up catering to a different type of vendor clientele.  It could be a handful's of other reasons but if I had to guess, it'd be the latter. 

Why?

If reasons were plates how many would we care to stack on either the vendor or consumer side albeit still one stack.  How many problems happen in transactions across the entire platform?  How much product in reality should not even be sold more or less meet or exceed warrants of merchantability?  How much "knock off" product is listed that breaches rights holders rights?  How much product crosses international borders that is not to cross international borders?  I could go on and on on making quite the long list of issues in shipping based commerce that didn't really exist before the online world exploded.

Do product creators want used product resold by unauthorized entities more or less at all?

We can take fulfillment too, Postal Service rates are only going to continue to rise.  They contract with other couriers that raise prices beyond base regional delivery costing.  The big guy on the block has moved away from the USPS, FedEx, UPS and others and will continue to do so performing their own contracted fulfillment creating jobs.  Biggest hit carriers have had in quite sometime is Amazon performing fulfillment directly.

When one puts ever so many things together and looks at the future not to mention the very real chances of regulatory measures a smart business needs adjust to whats coming even if it hurts the now.

eBay has a globally recognized brand name and there are hordes of hard goods creators all over the world seeking outlets to move new, delisted and warehoused previous products.  If I were ebay that's the target I'd be aiming at but in order for those big/medium sized product producers they must have a fair and level playing field.  Not a one of em' going to consider eBay that as they are forced to compete against people searching thrift stores, garage sales, parts from the car garage they work at, or closeout houses on and on.

One might say just like US Politics have had a storm brewing for over 40 years and was predicted in the 1980's by numerous think tanks the same can be said of eCommerce albeit 20 years or anti-social media over the past 15 years.  Just as we've an entire world and locally country who want believe their own facts vs real facts things begin to break and significant changes need be made.

Frankly its rather surprising eBay has not gone in a direction closer to the king of global ecommerce having folks send items to them, they do the work, folks get paid what they do and either like or not.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply