cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auctions

Hi All, What you guys thinking about Auctions. Are they really important to get more sales or buyers to your store? leave what you are thinking. Happy Selling.🤗

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Auctions

@cave-store wrote:

Hi All, What you guys thinking about Auctions. Are they really important to get more sales or buyers to your store? leave what you are thinking. Happy Selling.🤗

IMHO the idea of "getting buyers to your store" is one of the most overrated ideas on eBay.  I think that most eBay buyers are look for a specific item, and are not looking to find stores to browse through. 

Sure, a buyer who is buying an item might look through the seller's other items because of combined shipping, but the idea that an auction is going to somehow drive buyers to your store is overrated IMHO.

That aside ...

Auctions are a great tool for truly rare items where the supply cannot meet the demand. But for run-of-the-mill items, I think buyers avoid auctions because they do not want to wait.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Auctions

Trouble with auctions is that you need to make sure your not losing money if it sells for the starting price.  That, and nowadays a whole generation (or 2) of people don't have patience to follow an item for 7 or so days, they want it now.

Auctions

With my store, I get a certain number of fixed listings and a certain number of auctions.  In order to maximize the number of items in my store and get the most items listed that I can, I use them for certain categories.  They work for some items.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Auctions

I do a mix of Bin and daily auctions minimal 15 auctions a day minus Sundays, Despite many sellers saying auction don't work if you are in a niche like me they do work. In fact auctions would be a big % of my daily sales. But it also pays to spread the price ranges out so you don't give everything away. And you should have a large following on your ebay store.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Auctions

@cave-store wrote:

IMHO the idea of "getting buyers to your store" is one of the most overrated ideas on eBay.  I think that most eBay buyers are look for a specific item, and are not looking to find stores to browse through. 

Sure, a buyer who is buying an item might look through the seller's other items because of combined shipping, but the idea that an auction is going to somehow drive buyers to your store is overrated IMHO.

That aside ...

Auctions are a great tool for truly rare items where the supply cannot meet the demand. But for run-of-the-mill items, I think buyers avoid auctions because they do not want to wait.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Auctions

oncost
Scout

do you wont to build the traffic l am suggesting auction is the best option 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Auctions

For most things auctions were a passing fad. Who wants to wait around for 5-7 days on a shirt or a book or most other things and bid? It doesn't even make sense to me.  For certain items - niche, unpriceable, very in-demand they still work well and are a best option, so it's good that eBay keeps offering it. Some say that auctions bring more traffic to one's listings. I haven't found that to be true but so much depends on what someone carries.

I have a fair amount of dedicated foot traffic to my store - when we had real statistics I tracked 40-50% of my traffic to repeat visitors to my store itself.  But it means having to list almost every day. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Auctions

@cave-store - I only use auctions when I first list an item, regardless of what it is. My thinking is that I am giving it more exposure with an auction because some people search for items ending soonest on top of it's billing as a new listing. I also get a "feel" for interest with an auction, based on if I get any messages about it or the quickness of receiving watchers, etc. There are several criteria I look for to base this on. 

If it doesn't sell after two renewals of an auction, I move it to fixed listing where it stays until sold. I adjust the price only at that time, again based on my determinations from having listed it as an auction item first. That is my strategy which has been working for me personally. Everyone has their own methods. Best of luck to you....

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Auctions

yes. auction can make your store more busy and in return your fixed items will get good market too.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply