cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are small sellers going to survive these changes?

I'm getting sick already, thinking I'm not. 

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Are small sellers going to survive these changes?

Tweety, that about sums it up.  My only suggestion for you and many others in your position would be to maybe take a few days to just get out of the storm and relax.

You want to make your decisions as objectively as possible. Have some fun and take your mind off this place for a little while.  Then, crunch some numbers - look at your expenses vs profit for the last year.  Try working with a 5% return rate and see if you can increase prices a bit on each item to accomodate for anticipated returns. If you are are not a high quantity race to the bottom seller and have been selling your items at an acceptable rate - then you might have the margin for a small increase overall to accomodate the returns,  if not.........

I did this and the numbers didn't lie. It was time for me to step away which I did a little over a year ago. I did sell alot of used/vintage clothing and the returns were minimal as I always had a no returns policy. That's something else you might look at. My reputation seemed to overcome my no returns policy.   It discourages some sales but also seperates out those that feel free returns are a right for any reason - regardless of how well you described the item.

It was the increased shipping costs that got me in my last 2 years of selling.  Just looked at the rates and was shocked at the increases for standard shipping (not priority). 13.65 for 2lb small box.  That's a no can do for me. Though I do see many items that sell for maybe 15.00 with 13.65 shipping - crazy - especially when fees are calq'd on both.  

It's too bad sellers cannot offer BOGO sales. I think they'd be more effective than lot sales for several reasons.  If we're required in every other way to offer the same services as large retailers, why not be able to advertize the same also? This would sure help the small sellers of clothing etc ease some of the  pain of shipping costs for the buyer.  

Message 61 of 66
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@ripcityresell wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@tamlynne7 wrote:

Just saw the comment about being competitive with other businesses with the return policy.  My question is, when you buy from other businesses online payment has to be immediate.  I can't believe ebay hasn't figured a way to collect payment from "auctions", too many non payers getting away with it.  Just my thoughts.

That's a good question.  I have read that other sites can collect payment immediately in advance.

It IS possible, but only by making buyers have a payment method on file. Even then, the payment method can fail. I buy from a site occasionally that requires a payment method on file and they charge it 24 hours after the auction ends. If it fails, you have 48 hours to update it and pay. After that you are suspended.

Allow me to add: The site is the one selling items, not 3rd party members. And it's run by the police department.

No. The buyer doesn't have to have a payment method on file for this to work. They can enter that information at the time of the offer. Or like some venues, they can be directed to paypal, log in ti paypal and agree to a pre-approved payment that is charged IF and WHEN the offer is accepted.

True. That's definitely an option too. The site I use requires a payment method when you sign up as a buyer, so I was just going off that, but you are correct. They could also enter it during the offer process.

Message 62 of 66
latest reply

I am in the same boat scalemotorcars.
Message 63 of 66
latest reply

@tamlynne7 wrote:

Just saw the comment about being competitive with other businesses with the return policy.  My question is, when you buy from other businesses online payment has to be immediate.  I can't believe ebay hasn't figured a way to collect payment from "auctions", too many non payers getting away with it.  Just my thoughts.

I've never seen an online auction site which required instant payment. Even GW online gives 7 days to pay.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 64 of 66
latest reply

Are you saying that eBay is trying to force sellers into taken returns despite their clear statement: "all sales are final no returns accepted"? I am not sure eBay can legally for a seller into taking returns othe than to state: "If a seller does not take returns that seller cannot sell on eBay?". Confused about the direction of NO returns...

Message 65 of 66
latest reply

If return policies are in direct compliance with credit card companies than the "no return policy" is non-existent?
Message 66 of 66
latest reply