cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are small sellers going to survive these changes?

I'm getting sick already, thinking I'm not. 

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Don't give up.  We just have to figure out what works best for our business with each change they make.  Think of it as a game.  Meanwhile, keep your inventory low and investigate other venues.

Message 2 of 66
latest reply

I'll survive, I always do. But reading the thing makes me want to upchuck for sure.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 3 of 66
latest reply

I imagine most will they will just pay more for selling clothing and other high return items.  I have to wonder whether those with thousands of Negatives and there are a lot of them out there, will be subject to higher fees or will the metrics just be applied to small sellers?

Message 4 of 66
latest reply

Trying really hard, have a premium level store. I have a ton of inventory now that's not moving, but not buying anymore. Feel like I'm not going to be able to sell what I have. This is draining all my energy, and I'm not motivated. Can't keep up with all the policies and changes, it's too much for a small business. I know almost everyone here is going through the same thing. 

Message 5 of 66
latest reply

We are hoping the small sellers can make it through the changes.  There are lots of hoops for all of us to jump here recently.  As long as they dont have to give away free stuff they have a chance.

Message 6 of 66
latest reply

Almost 18 years full time and Im out. Its no longer worth all the hoops eBay is making the seller jump through. Sales are down 75% from 2 years ago. Free retruns, no thanks.

At this point I'll keep the store open until I can offload stock I already have. I already stopped buying. 

Message 7 of 66
latest reply

Starting in May 2018, we will streamline our returns policy options. Buyers' expectations are continuously evolving and we strive to deliver a returns experience that is consistent and competitive with the changing marketplace. Our simplified return policy options will help drive a retail-standard returns experience for buyers and may boost your sales. We recommend that you begin changing your returns policies now.

The five return policy options will be:

• No returns accepted
  • 30-day buyer-paid returns
  • 30-day free returns
  • 60-day buyer-paid returns
  • 60-day free returns

Restocking fees will no longer be a return option.

Starting June 1, 2018, when you offer free returns, you’ll have greater control to manage your business, and you can decide to issue partial refunds to buyers.

Certain product categories have unique retail standards and sellers will be able to offer variations on the new returns policy options. Categories that will continue have the option to offer 14-day returns include Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo and Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment.

Sellers will also be able to issue a partial refund for all returns where the item is returned used or damaged in select categories, including Business & Industrial, Parts & Accessories, Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo, Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment, Home Improvement, Furniture, Musical Instruments & Gear, and Yard, Garden & Outdoor.

You will also have the flexibility to set different return policies for domestic and international returns. For example, you can choose to offer free returns domestically, and in the same listing, offer paid returns to international buyers.

Because we are standardizing returns, we will remove the "additional return policy details" field that some sellers may use to detail their returns policies. Removal of the field will simplify returns for buyers.

Message 8 of 66
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Starting in May 2018, we will streamline our returns policy options. Buyers' expectations are continuously evolving and we strive to deliver a returns experience that is consistent and competitive with the changing marketplace. Our simplified return policy options will help drive a retail-standard returns experience for buyers and may boost your sales. We recommend that you begin changing your returns policies now.

• No returns accepted
  • 30-day free returns
  • 60-day free returns

Starting June 1, 2018, when you offer free returns, you’ll have greater control to manage your business, and you can decide to issue partial refunds to buyers.

Certain product categories have unique retail standards and sellers will be able to offer variations on the new returns policy options. Categories that will continue have the option to offer 14-day returns include Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo and Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment.

Sellers will also be able to issue a partial refund for all returns where the item is returned used or damaged in select categories, including Business & Industrial, Parts & Accessories, Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo, Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment, Home Improvement, Furniture, Musical Instruments & Gear, and Yard, Garden & Outdoor.

You will also have the flexibility to set different return policies for domestic and international returns. For example, you can choose to offer free returns domestically, and in the same listing, offer paid returns to international buyers.

Because we are standardizing returns, we will remove the "additional return policy details" field that some sellers may use to detail their returns policies. Removal of the field will simplify returns for buyers.

So selecting no returns, now you won't be able to say(in the soon to be retired return policy details) that you probably would take a return even for buyers remose if the situation warrants it? 

How does that help? Now it will go in the description if you want to add that, contrary to any listing 'structure' now in place. You just can't make this stuff up.

I don't have the energy to absorb any of this. I want to pull everything down now. 

Message 10 of 66
latest reply

@tweetystwades wrote:

I don't have the energy to absorb any of this. I want to pull everything down now. 

It makes me very sad to see an honest, hard-working seller defeated by the ever-changing landscape of the ebay goliath. Smiley Sad If you do decide to leave ebay, I wish you the very best going forward in whatever venture you choose to persue next my friend, stay strong!

Message 11 of 66
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

• No returns accepted
  • 30-day free returns
  • 60-day free returns

This is the one that burns me. No more restocking fees. I suppose having a "buyer paid" return policy is the next best thing, but that still doesn't really allow you to recoup your loss of the original shipping. I'm not sure how I want to proceed with return policy once I start selling again coming up in June, I was hoping to wait out a bit honestly and get feedback from these very forums to see how it was going for people.

Just wondering if even having "buyer paid" returns will cut down on the false SNADs or not... I would think for a savvy scammer it wouldn't really change much of anything.

I agree though, "free returns" will absolutely kill a small seller on here.

Message 12 of 66
latest reply

subject to higher fees or will the metrics just be applied to small sellers?

It is not that the metrics will be applied to one seller or another.  Sellers that do not have the VOLUME (number of sales, not quality of merchadise) will be affected to a greater extent due to percentages. 

Message 13 of 66
latest reply

That question has been asked here every time eBay makes a change.

Most of them will survive, and they generally do not post about it here.

Some will not survive, and will post about it here.

Message 14 of 66
latest reply

Survival of the fittest. If a seller isn't confident in their items or business strategy, then they won't.

I will.
Message 15 of 66
latest reply