cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone experiencing drop in sales lately?

Hello Sellers -

Happy Thursday.   Anyone experiencing drop in sales last few days?   October started slow for us and then picked up at the end of the first week - during the Columbus day weekend but then it dropped off but we sold here and there but last couple of days close to no activity.  The whole day go without any activity.   

We used to have holiday and winter shopping starting in October but no sign of that.  We did sell a few lighter items but now very slow.  We sold two small items yesterday and one today.  So there are sales but next to nothing.

Anyone know about any issues with e-bay selling process?   Anyone signed up for e-bay payments and if so, how is that going for sellers who signed up?   Would love to hear about that.

Thanks for your reply.  Hope sales pick up soon for all of us.  Good luck everyone.  Cheers.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Anyone experiencing drop in sales lately?

I don't think we will see a Christmas shopping season. In the previous 4 years, sales may be up a bit in Nov. & Dec. but not enough to call it a Christmas season. And I don't see it changing for the better.
I can't understand how they think blackouts improve their bottom dollar.
Message 16 of 50
latest reply

Yes I have too.  I have also noticed an increase in people wanting "special pricing" on BIN items.   On most items my market up is low and with free shipping added in the charity i sell for gets very little.

I have also noticed the "I DIDN'T GET THE ITEM ALTHOUGH THE TRACKING SHOWS I DID" people have started early as well.   Generally, I replace the items without charge, but this is getting costly and again, we are selling for a charity and this eventually hurts them.

Anyone else?

Message 17 of 50
latest reply

This is in your new user seller Ebay seller agrement:

"To drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer"

What are we paying for ? Someone Please make a new eBay You'll have a entire seller community behind you..

Message 18 of 50
latest reply

same over here no sales at all. In almost a Week Nothing. Only fee and more fee

Message 19 of 50
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I had a sale about 8 days ago around 5 $.. I have had 6 sales this month just like last month and the 3 months before Right around 6 sales a month.. Its becoming a pattern.... Guess thats all the sales I get for Oct..... Waiting on November I guess!

Message 20 of 50
latest reply

vintagemelrose2009--

same thing here except my "special" day was October 16th. I've only been selling since mid-April 2018. I sell primarily pre-owned women's jeans. But in the early days I sold my own personal jeans, shoes, skirts or other clothing/boots friends would give me. 

I have never sold more than 3 pairs or 3 of anything in a single day. So sold all I had to sell and started dabbling in buying and selling shorts and capris during May. That stunk so I moved on to buying jeans because I was amazed at the vast volume of jeans that sell and was intrigued by all these new brands on the market that I'd never heard of and frequently sold for quite a handsome price.

Slowly built a decent inventory and learned not to get so hung up on the perfection of my listings and got a little faster at creating listings. My best month since April was September when I sold 27 pairs but most months was closer to 20.

Oct 1-5 not a single sale.  Oct 6-15 -- 7 sales.

On Oct 16th I had 6 sales. I don't know the exact times, but it seemed like they were in succession quite fast. 

I thought it was so weird that I changed my ebay and paypal passwords.  I convinced myself that someone had hacked my account and created fake sales and made it appear that I had received the money in ebay and paypal and they would get me to ship used jeans!!. That is not a joke.  And the 6 pairs had been listed for the following number of DAYS with barely a view or two:  76, 92, 114, 96, 51 and 29.  4 of the pairs had been listed for quite a while--2 - 4 months.  Why all of a sudden?? Just so weird!!

I don't know about black outs for periods of time but I do believe that maybe eBay tech has tweaked the search engine so many times that they really don't know what it is returning in the results.  If you complain, they'll just say "I guess you don't have anything anybody wants right now."  Best Match irritates me to no end. If they knew me, they would know that Best Match is Lowest Price First (when I have my buying hat on). As a seller it is interesting to see where my item ends up at in the results.

So on the 18th - 20th  - 1 pair sold per day;  21st - 3 pairs sold;  22nd - 2 pairs sold.  Sold 21 pairs month to date.

Doubt I'll make 30 sales by the end of October tho.

Thanks for letting me ramble!!

Message 21 of 50
latest reply

When I started doing Ebay I would run about 80 to 150 auctions a week and made a living. Now I have over 1200 items listed (auctions about 70 and fixed about 11150) and I make less. The last few days have been dismal. The beginning of the year was one of the best I had had in a long long time and then Ebay changed the search engine and things fell off of a cliff. I do think that Ebay is throttling listings and I do think that they have rolling server blackouts. I firmly believe that. Why? I don't know. Someone with common sense would say that if everybody everywhere was up and running 24/7/365 that it would mean more sales all around. I guess the MBAs at Ebay think they know better. There is NO loyalty to sellers. Ebay could care less. It's all about "bottom line" with the MBAs and they care about nothing else. I guess it's cheaper to shut down servers and pander to mega sellers that to allow small to mid size sellers do well. I sell on a couple of other sites but believe it or not Ebay is still the best even as crumby as it is. 

Message 22 of 50
latest reply

I sell car parts and it is dead dead got over 1000 items with best offer. Last 3 months terrible but this month not even enough to pay the bills. Never seen it this bad since the first term of Obama.
Message 23 of 50
latest reply

No one has mentioned the fact that ebay has recently teamed with facebook. Facebook regulates and controls media based on your political affiliation. Facebook groups are being deleted, users blocked, etc. at an alarming rate as we speak, and done under the guise of "protecting" election integrity and to combat fake news. Supposedly. In reality, what is happening is facebook is now throttling sales of longtime Ebay sellers whose political posts and shares are more conservative, while elevating new or "liberal;" leaning leftists as they share the same agenda. Dont believe me? Search your own listings on Ebay like a casual seller would. Then login to FB and your listings will pop up in your timeline.  Share them, or post links to your listings on FB and you will get sales sometimes within minutes! Coincedence? Now go and share a conservative political post,  or make a derogatory remark about liberals/democrats. Worse yet, post a funny meme about a dem in office. They will now block you, which most call "facebook jail", when this happens, your sales are done on Ebay! You will get a notification claiming you posted hate speech, etc. Class action lawsuits are in process due to this nasty trickery by the perpetrators. Its economic suicide, and will be the downfall of Ebay soon enough, if its not already too late.

Message 24 of 50
latest reply

Prior to 2014 our modest store had showed a healthy increase each year gaining momentum and closing in on 150K or more than sales.  Ebay was chosen versus other venues like Amazon because it was unique - the charm was the platform - a huge rummage sale where a person could find that perfect item.  Our store was created to have fun, stay active in business world,  and make  a little money to squander on stuff in my retirement years.  I've met many wonderful people across the country through the years.  Growth came to a screeching halt when in 2014 management team began to make the most insane changes.  Every day I read recommendations how to increase business THEIR way, and I sit here thinking to myself whoever drafts these recommendations hasn't got two brain cells to rub together.  The lastest gem is managed payments.  I have been cancelling orders because my customers do not want to risk using eBay's money grab.  Smoke and mirrors - I will be lucky to make 15K this year in sales.  First of the year I will be closing after 10 years.

Message 25 of 50
latest reply

Recently sales are spotty.  We still have good days, but sometimes there are extended periods of time where we have no sales.  Really no explanation.  We used to have slow times, but order flow was steady.   Now can be hours of nothing.  Given our sales volume that is odd.  For a while I thought it was us, but I think it is platform wide.

We declined opting into eBay payments because paypal is not an option for that method.  Felt it would discourage existing eBayers.  

They are supposed to include eBay as an option early next year.

Have concern about the overall viability of eBay.   I think Amazon is eating their lunch, and other platforms nipping at their heels as well.  Things change.  We are putting more energy into other platforms.  I have loyalty to eBay, it is where I started, but you gotta make your money.   Hopefully, they will get it together.

Message 26 of 50
latest reply

Hello twigsadmin

Thanks for your reply.  You are the first seller that i met here who is currently enrolled in the 'managed payments'

Do you mind taking a few minutes to let us know how it is working out for you?   Relating to sales --- are your buyers not happy not having paypal as a payment method.  Most importantly how is the e-bay settlement working out?

How soon do you get your funds?   I am curious about the time it take from time of payment by buyer to e-bay deposit into your account.

I appreciate your response.   Any other issues you deal with would be great.  Thanks for your time. Cheers.

Message 27 of 50
latest reply

My Sales are down big time, the variations on the mobile app are not working, and therefore no one can purchase any of the higher quantities on my listings, it has been like it on and off for weeks, one minute sales then none

Message 28 of 50
latest reply

I was not given a choice, and under the impression managed payments was the only option available - thank you for this post!
Message 29 of 50
latest reply

Customers are being sidelined from Pay Pal and as a result they are not buying on impulse. To many watchers or viewers and no sales.
Message 30 of 50
latest reply