cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else get the verify account and upload Driver's License message with payouts held?

Hello. I am a long term seller.  I love eBay.  I enjoy the platform and I've never really had a problem, and I feel I've been treated fairly most of the time.  Last night I got the email about suddenly needing to verify my account phone number, email, and send them a copy of my driver's license.  It really had no explanation and I was kind of freaked out. Then I Google this and check the community message boards, and I see that this has been an ongoing thing that many members have gone through in the past couple years.  I assume my turn just came up. I've read so many horrible things about it taking days, weeks, sometimes months for them to take the hold off of your payouts. I can still sell and I am just going about my normal business, but with no guarantee of when my funds will be paid to me. Customer service tells me it takes 24 to 48 hours to verify. I'm only at about 24 hours right now. I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there that this was quick and easy for. It's causing me stress and we're going into the Christmas season.  It has made me feel really bad today like I broke some rule, when it appears it's happening to everybody at some point. 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Anyone else get the verify account and upload Driver's License message with payouts held?

So I also got the message to verify my phone number and email address.  I clicked on the link, entered my password, and the response was "Thanks for verifying, this message will disappear (time frame stated was a day or two, if I remember correctly) when the process is complete".  What the message didn't do was verify anything, as noted by another poster.

The original message also stated that if I didn't complete the verification process by January 23, my payments would begin to be held at that time.  It's been over a week and the message hasn't "disappeared", I have not been able to manually verify anything, and my account shows that my phone number and email address are already verified.  (They have been verified since I was moved over to Managed Payments a year ago or so.)

Finally, my account has never been "off track" in the 23 years I've been selling with eBay......

Sure would be nice if eBay would clarify this.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Re: Anyone else get the verify account and upload Driver's License message with payouts held?

@kidsbargainspot wrote:

Hello. I am a long term seller.  I love eBay.  I enjoy the platform and I've never really had a problem, and I feel I've been treated fairly most of the time.  Last night I got the email about suddenly needing to verify my account phone number, email, and send them a copy of my driver's license.  It really had no explanation and I was kind of freaked out. Then I Google this and check the community message boards, and I see that this has been an ongoing thing that many members have gone through in the past couple years.  I assume my turn just came up. I've read so many horrible things about it taking days, weeks, sometimes months for them to take the hold off of your payouts. I can still sell and I am just going about my normal business, but with no guarantee of when my funds will be paid to me. Customer service tells me it takes 24 to 48 hours to verify. I'm only at about 24 hours right now. I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there that this was quick and easy for. It's causing me stress and we're going into the Christmas season.  It has made me feel really bad today like I broke some rule, when it appears it's happening to everybody at some point. 

I verified my ID at 7am, and by noon the banner was gone that was telling me I needed to update my ID. Check your payments screen, if the banner has gone away, assume you're fine. If it comes back, they probably couldn't read your ID. If you attempt to update it again and they're processing it, they won't let you, they'll just say they're verifying your ID. If you're able to upload it again, try to take a better photo or scan, as it's likely they couldn't read the first one. These are verified by bot, not person, so the bot has to be able to read it clearly.

C.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Okay, hopefully it will either resolve or prompt me to upload the photos of my ID again. You are lucky yours cleared so fast. There is no red banner anywhere on my account now, but there definitely is a little red exclamation mark in my payments box and it says no scheduled payouts. I usually get one every day, so I just keep checking my payments page. 

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

I am in the same boat as well. Had to upload my ID today. My funds are on hold as well. I had a payout scheduled for tomorrow then next thing I knew has a red bar saying I needed to upload my ID to continue selling and will release my funds until the verification process is complete.  I am curious myself how long this will take. I have been having the best sales the past few weeks and wondering why they waited until now to ask for this information. I have never had a request for my ID before, did not know that was part of my profile. I have already went thru the SS# verification process a few months ago for the 1099. If that doesn't say "it is me" then I don't know what the ID will do differently. I am also wondering how do they verify this information? What information? What do they compare it too? I can understand the SS# since they have to issue a 1099 it can be verified thru the IRS but an ID, do they contact the DMV? Idk maybe they need a picture to go with the name, who knows. I hope it does not take weeks I am hoping for a couple of days. The SS# verification took 1 to 2 days. If you can remember, please let us (other sellers who are waiting like me) how long it took for you. I would really appreciate the information. 

Thank you,

Pam D. 😊

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@kidsbargainspot wrote:

Okay, hopefully it will either resolve or prompt me to upload the photos of my ID again. You are lucky yours cleared so fast. There is no red banner anywhere on my account now, but there definitely is a little red exclamation mark in my payments box and it says no scheduled payouts. I usually get one every day, so I just keep checking my payments page. 

The no scheduled payments is concerning.

Does your name on your eBay account, ID and bank account all match as exxactly the same? Others who have had your issue have had an inconsistency with their  names on their ID/Bank/eBay account and their payouts were held.

I'm fortunate in that regard to have no middle names... so there's no possibility of a mix up like that.

C.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@davenportpm1 wrote:

I am in the same boat as well. Had to upload my ID today. My funds are on hold as well. I had a payout scheduled for tomorrow then next thing I knew has a red bar saying I needed to upload my ID to continue selling and will release my funds until the verification process is complete.  I am curious myself how long this will take. I have been having the best sales the past few weeks and wondering why they waited until now to ask for this information. I have never had a request for my ID before, did not know that was part of my profile. I have already went thru the SS# verification process a few months ago for the 1099. If that doesn't say "it is me" then I don't know what the ID will do differently. I am also wondering how do they verify this information? What information? What do they compare it too? I can understand the SS# since they have to issue a 1099 it can be verified thru the IRS but an ID, do they contact the DMV? Idk maybe they need a picture to go with the name, who knows. I hope it does not take weeks I am hoping for a couple of days. The SS# verification took 1 to 2 days. If you can remember, please let us (other sellers who are waiting like me) how long it took for you. I would really appreciate the information. 

Thank you,

Pam D. 😊

Read my previous post. People who are having problems with this have an inconsistency between their eBay account name, ID and bank account name. If this is you, you'll have to sort that out before payouts can be released.

C.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

My middle name is on my eBay account (they say) and is definitely on my driver's license. My checks have my middle initial, but I will have to check exactly what is on my bank account as far as initial or full middle name. Hopefully they can clarify if there is a problem with that. CS says everything looks fine, but... ??? Thank you for the suggestions. 🙂

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

All 3 has my full name first, middle, and last name. When I downloaded my ID today, I saw my full name. I know my bank and ID has my full name as well because they used my ID when I opened my account, and my debit card has my full name on it as well. That should not be a problem. I am just thinking it is taking this long to verify. It has only been 8 hours since I uploaded my ID. Hopefully, by the time I wake up in the morning it will be finished. 

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

My payout sent this morning and the red exclaimatin mark is gone. I hope yours is too. Hopefully this will give some sellers confidence that it CAN only take 24 to 48 hours. All the bad posts and nightmare stories of verification really freaks out a seller! By the time I went to bed last night, at about 26 hours from uploading the ID, it showed a payout pending. However, I did talk to CS two times and a chat agent. Good luck everyone. I will update this post if there are any more issues.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

Been here is 2003 and I had the same thing a few months ago. It only held my payouts for a few days. If I went to my credit union and opened a new account they would need my ID and all my information again despite already having it. Its a legal requirement. 
If I open a business account they can use me EIN for the account AND my DL, ssn. Ebay became the bank. I think your getting bothered by this as if ebay is just giving you a hard time. They aren’t. They are conforming to laws. Collecting the required information cost. They wouldn’t spend if it wasn’t required. 

For everything that happens conditions exist such that nothing else could have happened.
Message 25 of 27
latest reply

The red exclamation point has disappeared and I received a payout.    It took between 1-2 days.   I am relieved. Posting for the OP and anyone else who might currently be going through the same process.  

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

This is the 4th time this year they have held my payouts. The fist time, earlier this year, they held them for nearly 3 months and had to put my store on hold for a couple weeks, losing many sales. The 2nd and 3rd time were for approximately 1 week each. This time its going on 4 weeks and I have already put my store on hold again because i'm not going to continue to make ebay money when they are not paying me what they owe. This time alone I have spoken with 7 different representatives, none of which can find anything wrong with my account but still have me go in and re-enter information and then tell me it is fixed and I should see my payout scheduled again within 24-48 hrs. Each time they have claimed it to be due to a glitch in the system and that it is global. I've been selling on ebay for over 20 years and aside from increasing amounts of buyers who refuse to read titles and descriptions,  for the most part has been smooth and pleasant transactions however I have also dealt with a few unnecessary and even shady situations with ebay but these payout holds and inconsistent cash flow make it impossible for me to operate on their platform. If ebay is trying to get rid of sellers, the very thing that makes ebay possible, they are doing a very good job of it because after this year and dealing with this **bleep** Im seriously considering leaving ebay as a seller. 

Message 27 of 27
latest reply