cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another ridiculous return!

I sold an internet cable modem and he FIRST SENTENCE of the description states ‘JUST THE MODEM’. 

Now the buyer opens a return return case for ‘missing parts’ and is asking me where the cord is!!!

ebay won’t close it out, and if they do they’ll force close it and give me a defect I’d have to get removed a week later for ‘case closed without seller resolution’. 

And SUPPOSEDLY eBay has NO WAY TO CHANGE a false SNAD to buyers remorse!!!! All these dumb updates that ruin the site and all this time spent on useless tools, yet YOU CAN’T ALTER YOUR RETURN SYSTEM TO STOP FALSE CLAIMS!!!

PLEASEE, someone PLEASSEEEE TELL ME HOW A COMPANY MAKING THIS MUCH MONEY, can’t habdle something SO SIMPLE!?

another rep said ACCEPT IT and then appeal it after I get the return!! You have to be kidding me! What kind of advice is that! How about just fix your returns!!!

Message 1 of 173
latest reply
172 REPLIES 172

@robot-hands wrote:

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

**general reply**

If I were to read "modem only" I would take it to mean...a modem and not a  modem/router. You have modems and you have modem/router combos. (I have DSL and use a modem/router combo.)   I would also expect a power cord. I would NOT expect ethernet cords and that sort of thing, but a power cord IMO is an integral part of any electrical device that is plugged in to an electrical socket.

"Comes with just the Modem

No issues and works great.

Due to it being pre owned it might have some minor blemishes but nothing major."

NOWHERE does the listing state that there is no cord.

Just my two cents FWIW

I would also have expected a power cord, but have you noticed these days you can't even buy a brand NIB printer and expect to have it come with a printer cable? That would also seem essential to the printer being able to be used as intended.

So is electricity and and document to print and you won't get those either.

I've owned three printers. The printer I bought new four months ago came with a power cord and USB cable...

The printer I had before that one I bought new, and it came with a power cord and USB cable...

The first printer I ever bought came with a power cord and USB cable...

Every plug-in-able thing I've ever purchased came with a power cord.

Is that really a thing now? Electrical things coming without a power cord? (Seriously asking, I don't buy a lot of consumer electronic type things)

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 136 of 173
latest reply

I've owned three printers. The printer I bought new four months ago came with a power cord and USB cable...

The printer I had before that one I bought new, and it came with a power cord and USB cable...

Is that really a thing now? Electrical things coming without a power cord? (Seriously asking, I don't buy a lot of consumer electronic type things)

Some items that power up through a USB cord do not come with the USB cord.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 137 of 173
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

**general reply**

If I were to read "modem only" I would take it to mean...a modem and not a  modem/router. You have modems and you have modem/router combos. (I have DSL and use a modem/router combo.)   I would also expect a power cord. I would NOT expect ethernet cords and that sort of thing, but a power cord IMO is an integral part of any electrical device that is plugged in to an electrical socket.

Due to it being pre owned it might have some minor blemishes but nothing major."

Just my two cents FWIW

I would also have expected a power cord, but have you noticed these days you can't even buy a brand NIB printer and expect to have it come with a printer cable? That would also seem essential to the printer being able to be used as intended.

Seller isn't selling a new item. It is ridiculous to apply standards for new equipment to used items. 

Message 138 of 173
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@jason_incognito wrote:

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@jason_incognito wrote:

It would have never dawned on me that there wouldn't be a power cord. I would have expected it.

modem only would to me be the modem/ router, or saying there is no cables.

In the end, I think this is EXACTLY the type of case that eBay creates their policies for.

Are you saying that after you read the OP`s ad and looked at the pictures you would have still expected it to come with the power cord?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

and I concluded the exact opposite. Strange how that works. I guess I`ll never understand how 2 people can look at something and interput the same simple thing completly opposite each other. It is what it is.

Yes - like the seller thinking one thing and the buyer thinking the other - which is how we got here. 

Sorry if i missed it because i tried to read the whole thread and i dont see if the OP ever explained if it was tested with the power supply that it uses. If it was then why wasnt the power supply included? They dont have much any value themselves. Its just a real pain to replace one with the right one if the orignal one dies.

Last time our modem power supply fried out the cable company swapped the whole box for a free new one and shipped it free because they said they dont stock the power supplies separate. I thought that was kind of a waste but they covered all the costs and took the old box back. Maybe thats how this modem ended up on Ebay? The modem may be fine but without the right power supply for it the buyer wont be able to use it. 

I get the arguments about other cables not included either but those are all dime store stuff. This isnt just missing a power cord like an old computer might and where you could just pull a spare cord out of your basement. This needs its own power supply. Thats a pretty important piece to leave out. Gambling that the buyer is going to have just the right one sitting around is a big risk and you lost the gamble. I would of at least put in the description which supply it needs. 

Oh yes - and i wouldnt buy a cellphone wihout a charger or cable either. That just screams stolen or lost and found phone to me. I know people dont go around stealing modems or accedently losing them but the fact is this isnt going to be working until one key outside part is found and plugged into it - not just a power cord.

Message 139 of 173
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

**general reply**

Just my two cents FWIW

Well  I bought a Brand new printer  that  came  with the Power supply cord , But didn't  come with USB cable  for the computer because company didn't offer it , That I had to  go buy. 

Message 140 of 173
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

**general reply**

Just my two cents FWIW

I`ve bought a few new clothes dryers in my time. Beleive it or not....no power cord included. I bought a new HP printer from wal-mart a few days ago....no usb cable.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 141 of 173
latest reply

@honestabe411 wrote:

I was going to fight it, but after his EXTENSIVE reasoning on why he felt it wasn’t snad, I told him I was going to refund him the full amount and shipping so he can buy a power cord. 

He then replied apologizing and CLOSED THE RETURN telling me not to worry about the refund and he’ll buy the power cord. 

That was an odd one..amazing how friendly the buyer was even with my not so nice replies. The dude must be loaded or something. Very, very odd. But worked out well. 

I'm glad you got this squared away and decided to offer a refund afterall, which he decided to refuse.

I think sellers need to pick their battles. Considering this guy is a big time buyer, he may now purchase more from you. While, had you decided to battle with him he may have left you a neg and would never buy from you again.  It's best to try to turn lemons into lemonade!

Message 142 of 173
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

**general reply**

Just my two cents FWIW

I`ve bought a few new clothes dryers in my time. Beleive it or not....no power cord included. I bought a new HP printer from wal-mart a few days ago....no usb cable.

I bought a new dishwasher a few years ago. No power cable. Had to use the one from my old dishwasher. 

Message 143 of 173
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@honestabe411 wrote:

I was going to fight it, but after his EXTENSIVE reasoning on why he felt it wasn’t snad, I told him I was going to refund him the full amount and shipping so he can buy a power cord. 

He then replied apologizing and CLOSED THE RETURN telling me not to worry about the refund and he’ll buy the power cord. 

That was an odd one..amazing how friendly the buyer was even with my not so nice replies. The dude must be loaded or something. Very, very odd. But worked out well. 

Glad this worked out OK. Obviously  there is no problem with the unit not working as some posters wanted to claim, almost as if they were somehow clairvoyant or in the room with you when you did or didn't test it. The nerve of some people!

All this needless speculation of what should/ shouldn't have been done was just incredible. We've all see the threads where a device listed as "For Parts/ Not Working" became SNADS that stuck because the device didn't work, and SNADS that stuck when the description WAS exactly precise. If you HAD put "no power cord" right in the description and they buyer dug in on his SNAD claim, you'd have been taken to the cleaners anyways.

Glad your buyer decided to do the right thing, because it seems eBay is reluctant to.

Perhaps, these so called 'nervy' posters  had similar experiences with items stated as tested and working, yet received NOT working! Sounds like you think you're claivoyant, knowing others buying experiences. There's no need for you to put down other's contributions to this thread and view yours as supposed universal opinion. You should state your opinion without insulting others. These discusion boards are open to all.

Message 144 of 173
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@jason_incognito wrote:

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@jason_incognito wrote:

It would have never dawned on me that there wouldn't be a power cord. I would have expected it.

In the end, I think this is EXACTLY the type of case that eBay creates their policies for.

Are you saying that after you read the OP`s ad and looked at the pictures you would have still expected it to come with the power cord?

and I concluded the exact opposite. Strange how that works. I guess I`ll never understand how 2 people can look at something and interput the same simple thing completly opposite each other. It is what it is.

Yes - like the seller thinking one thing and the buyer thinking the other - which is how we got here. 

Sorry if i missed it because i tried to read the whole thread and i dont see if the OP ever explained if it was tested with the power supply that it uses. If it was then why wasnt the power supply included? They dont have much any value themselves. Its just a real pain to replace one with the right one if the orignal one dies.

Last time our modem power supply fried out the cable company swapped the whole box for a free new one and shipped it free because they said they dont stock the power supplies separate. I thought that was kind of a waste but they covered all the costs and took the old box back. Maybe thats how this modem ended up on Ebay? The modem may be fine but without the right power supply for it the buyer wont be able to use it. 

I get the arguments about other cables not included either but those are all dime store stuff. This isnt just missing a power cord like an old computer might and where you could just pull a spare cord out of your basement. This needs its own power supply. Thats a pretty important piece to leave out. Gambling that the buyer is going to have just the right one sitting around is a big risk and you lost the gamble. I would of at least put in the description which supply it needs. 

Oh yes - and i wouldnt buy a cellphone wihout a charger or cable either. That just screams stolen or lost and found phone to me. I know people dont go around stealing modems or accedently losing them but the fact is this isnt going to be working until one key outside part is found and plugged into it - not just a power cord.

Seller can't read buyer's mind to know what buyer had in mind when they purchased the item. Buyer may well have had a power supply to use. Buyer may have had the same modem where the modem died, but the PSU was still good. Its not really a gamble, 12VDC barrel connector PSUs are a "dime a dozen". In fact, they are so common, I've just purchased a lot of 5 to have on hand for used items I purchased that had no PSU. Thats right - I purchase used items that don't have a PSU, and I am sure others do, too. 

I have bought many used cell phones and none of them ever had the charger. All of them were IMEI checked and none of them were ever reported stolen, either. People lose cell phone chargers all the time. This is exactly why nearly every dept store, grocery store, cell phone store, convenience store, etc carries cell phone chargers right on the counter by the cash register. 

But still, I notice on these boards, every time I make a point, nobody cares to actually address the point I've made. Is the working cell phone without a charger sold as used SNAD?

Listings here are a contract. Anyone who's ever signed a contract(everyone) would know that if its not in the contract, its not included. Even eBay's condition descriptions don't say anything about "must include all original parts and accessories" of "must include AC adapters and/or power cords". There is a competitor who does this, but thats not whats stated in the public facing policy, here. 

BTW: I went through this exact situation, even getting to executive support where it was revealed to me, internally, if the CSR feels that the cord should have been included, they *may* grant the SNAD. However, when I pointed out that this was not stated anywhere in the user agreement or in any public facing documentation I could be legally held accountable for, eBay refunded my money. 

My advice: Next time around, either specifically state what is or is not included, or just get your hands on a PSU before selling. It just avoids aggravation. I've added a boilerplate to my listings that says something along the lines of "all parts, accessories, or other items not included in the listing photos or description are not included in the sale". 

The upside: Addition of this text seems to have cut down siginificantly on my partial refund/SNAD scammers. There are people who are going around looking for loopholes like this and attempting to exploit them. 

Message 145 of 173
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@jason_incognito wrote:

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@jason_incognito wrote:

OP stated that he has sold around 10 of these problem free so they may get a regular supply of them like the scenario you described when yours went on the fritz. He stated in the ad he tested it and I have no reason not to believe him.

The power supply is pretty cheap. One poster posted an ad for one for about $6 shipped. I have to buy these things all the time for my wife and kids cell phones. I get them on ebay really cheap.

It`s my opinion the seller listed the item honestly, however, just to avoid an issue and have a satisfied buyer, I would have offered a return label or a partial refund to cover the missing power supply. I`d do it not because I thought I owed it or did anything wrong but to keep my buyer happy. But people have got to make these decisions on their own and deal with any consequenses their decisions bring.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 146 of 173
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote: 
OP stated that he has sold around 10 of these problem free so they may get a regular supply of them like the scenario you described when yours went on the fritz. He stated in the ad he tested it and I have no reason not to believe him.

Sorry but TBH I dont believe that it was really tested. Im not really convinced that he ever actually had the power supply for this unit. OP has ignored several posters asking him flat out if he actually tested it. He also has not answered why he didnt just include the power supply with the modem if he had.

I notice in his replies that he keeps talking about a power cord himself when if he had actually tested it then he would have known from the beginning that it uses a power supply. His calling it a power cord doesnt convince me that it was ever really plugged in. I agree with you that he may have gotten a bulk quantity of these and that up to now he hasnt gotten burned.

Message 147 of 173
latest reply

@sodelight wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@honestabe411 wrote:

Glad this worked out OK. Obviously  there is no problem with the unit not working as some posters wanted to claim, almost as if they were somehow clairvoyant or in the room with you when you did or didn't test it. The nerve of some people!

All this needless speculation of what should/ shouldn't have been done was just incredible. We've all see the threads where a device listed as "For Parts/ Not Working" became SNADS that stuck because the device didn't work, and SNADS that stuck when the description WAS exactly precise. If you HAD put "no power cord" right in the description and they buyer dug in on his SNAD claim, you'd have been taken to the cleaners anyways.

Glad your buyer decided to do the right thing, because it seems eBay is reluctant to.

Perhaps, these so called 'nervy' posters  had similar experiences with items stated as tested and working, yet received NOT working! Sounds like you think you're claivoyant, knowing others buying experiences. There's no need for you to put down other's contributions to this thread and view yours as supposed universal opinion. You should state your opinion without insulting others. These discusion boards are open to all.

@sodelight wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@honestabe411 wrote:

I was speaking to this specific case, not in general. And yes, one of the posters here DID INDEED keep insisting that the item wasn't tested. There's absolutely no way this poster could have known this in this particular instance with any certainty- NONE- other anecdotal experiences, real or imagined, notwithstanding.

That was the fact of what happened. Facts are not insults. I suggest you cease accusing me of them in insulting fashion. Yes, these discussion boards ARE open to all... not just to those with whom YOU agree.

Good evening.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 148 of 173
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

How do you know there is nothing wrong with the unit?  The buyer still has to buy a cord and hope it powers up and then also functions as it is suppose to do.

@honestabe411 since this is finished did you actually power the unit up and test it out?  I realize you have sold this same item a few times before as you mentioned and it seems a lot of them are being sold by other sellers similar to how you sold yours which leads me to think these modems and returned clearance items at B&M locations.

Good Luck Selling!

1. Why would the buyer want to keep an unknown or defective unit?

2. I know it does work in the same way you know it is untested and doesn't.

You are making statements that this item does work.  The buyer has to buy a power source to see if it works.  The buyer, seller, you, nor I know if it works as far as I can tell?

Good Luck Selling!

False.

I am stating that YOU have NO IDEA if this thing was tested by the OP or not. I simply don't think you should be directly and emphatically accusing the OP of selling untested merchandise when you could not possibly have any clue whether it was or was not tested.

That is all.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 149 of 173
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

You are making statements that this item does work.  The buyer has to buy a power source to see if it works.  The buyer, seller, you, nor I know if it works as far as I can tell?

False.

I am stating that YOU have NO IDEA if this thing was tested by the OP or not. I simply don't think you should be directly and emphatically accusing the OP of selling untested merchandise when you could not possibly have any clue whether it was or was not tested.

That is all.

Please, please, please, for the love of God--and I mean this in the very kindest way possible--learn how to use the "Quote" feature on replies. You don't have to repeat every single post in each of your replies. You can delete anything that doesn't pertain to your most immediate reponse. As you can see from the example I edited above, you could have deleted about three of those posts that have been repeated a dozen times already, and just retained the one you're responding to.

There is no need for each of your posts to be half a page long, when they could be about a tenth of a page long. 

Thanks for your consideration. Carry on.

Message 150 of 173
latest reply