cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another really weird contact from potential buyer. Maybe it's the eclipse. Would like your input

I have opened a new ebay account.  Only buying until recently.  Previously with a different user ID I had a store and sold hundreds of items up until about 10 years ago.  This is another really weird contact from a buyer.  I never, ever got such crazy email with my old account.  I'd like to see what you think about this.

I just relisted an auction and almost immediately I get two emails.  The other one is obviously a scam.  Here's the other one.

"dear sir wood you take $500.00 free shipping. mike"

My reply:  Thank you for your offer but it is listed lower than it should be according to the going rate on the market. I suggest if you'd like to have it to go ahead and bid now and if you win you will be getting a great deal on it. Good Luck!

His response:  DEAR SIR I WOOD LIKE THE KEYBOARD.BUT I CANT BED.IT NOT RIGHT FOR ME TO BED.TO ME IT WRONG. I SORRY.I WOOD LIKE TO HAVE IT FOR 600.00 HUNDRED.THINK YOU SIR. MIKE"

After reading and rereading this I have concluded he is saying it is wrong for him to BID.  Religion maybe??

So I checked his feedback to try and get more info on him.  It shows 123 transactions at 100%.

Feedback left for others all from over a year ago:

Satisfied

IT A GOOD T SHIRT

THE T SHIRT LOOK GOOD

I LIKE THE T SHIRT

i wont to tell you think you for the harmonica. mike

Feedback as a seller from over a year ago:

Didn't send, took month and paypal case for them to refund money"

Hmmmmm.  OK, I have never experienced ebay correspondence quite like this.

I thought maybe it's a kid screwing around or a scam until I read his feedback left for others.   So now I am thinking maybe it's somebody that has had a stroke or is very uneducated.

Then I read his feedback as a seller and I'm thinking this is a real potential problem.

So, yes, I'd love to make a sale.  No, I will not sell out of the auction or if I change it to buy it now with immediate payment required, but I am just dumbfounded about this.

I'd love to get your input on this doozy.  Could it be the eclipse?  🙂

Thanks

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Another really weird contact from potential buyer. Maybe it's the eclipse. Would like your inp

@scottlmusic wrote:

I have opened a new ebay account.  Only buying until recently.  Previously with a different user ID I had a store and sold hundreds of items up until about 10 years ago.  This is another really weird contact from a buyer.  I never, ever got such crazy email with my old account. 

I think that's because your old account had such high feedback that scammers passed you by. You should sell using whichever account has the highest feedback count, not the lowest, and you are now seeing why. Smiley Wink

@scottlmusic wrote:

His response:  DEAR SIR I WOOD LIKE THE KEYBOARD.BUT I CANT BED.IT NOT RIGHT FOR ME TO BED.TO ME IT WRONG. I SORRY.I WOOD LIKE TO HAVE IT FOR 600.00 HUNDRED.THINK YOU SIR. MIKE" 

At this point I would just stop responding. There's no need to continue and nothing to be gained by doing so.

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

Re: Another really weird contact from potential buyer. Maybe it's the eclipse. Would like your inp

Maybe this buyer is deaf.  The deaf people that I know frequently mispell words. For example, instead of *and*, one of my deaf friends always writes *an*.

This individual may be handicapped in some other way with a limited vocabulary, but able to shop. That may be why they can't bid.
If I were you, I would do just what you are planning to do-let the auction run it's course. If you don't sell, then add a buy it now price. If this person is really interested, they are watching this item and will buy it once you add a buy it now option.

Good luck. I once had a buyer message me telling me that they loved me. LOL!
Wiggi-1

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated and off-topic.  Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but discussion should always remain courteous, respectful and on topic.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

Really?  Did you possibly post this to the wrong thread?

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

It was my fault. 😳

Belle
Message 20 of 51
latest reply

About the same number in the Philippine call centers that are named Jennifer.

My nephews keep marrying Phillipinas.

One has a sister named Jennifer.

She's a chartered accountant.

I went to university with a guy who found it easier to be called "Mike " than his own name "Sudir", which tended to make people giggle.

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

So, I relisted item and blocked the guy from bidding and , yup, you guessed it. Another email, bahahaha:

DEAR SIR.WOOD YOU TAKE $600.00 HUNDRED FREE SHIPPING .YOU HAD TREY BED IT 2 ARE 3 TIME.NO BODY WANT TO BED ON THE KEY BOARD I WOOD LIKE TO HAVE IT.

Possible translation, you had tried bidding it 2 or 3 times, nobody wants to bid on the keyboard.

Too funny, huh?
Message 22 of 51
latest reply

As I said in a previous reply...block as many as you like & another one will take over.

Low feedback seller & a high value item is a scam magnet.

The translation is...if you take my offer after I recieve it I will claim SNAD or Empty Box.

Message 23 of 51
latest reply

I've seen that kind of "talk" before. It happened to me while trying to sell a riding saddle. long short I asked the person what am I selling, again? and he replied, " a car". oh boy. I was told it was a Nigerian scam and to not reply anymore.
Message 24 of 51
latest reply

Early in the Am a few days ago I saw a post from a Spanish speaking  Buyer who said they bought a cell phone, saying that no one would help her with the item. I worked My way around the site and toke snaps of all the different windows and uploaded them. I translated from English to Spanish and back again...THEN I looked at the PO that She showed and the price was 259.00 so at first I thought that it was dollars and then saw that it was pesos. I hated answering the Post after I posted...

The Seller DID NOT even Sell cell phones. Just accessories! I thought I just helped a scammer, or maybe she just couldn't speak english very well. Smiley Frustrated Sugar

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

You were already told if you didn't want scam buyers to do BIN with IP ? With the problems you come up with not sure why you don't. 

Maybe because Ebay is an auction site and rare or unusual items bring more on auctions. OP, these days sellers can't be too picky unless you have a really hot item. If this person offers a reasonable price to you, just add a B.I.N. to the listing with immediate payment required.

Message 26 of 51
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

@coolections wrote:

You were already told if you didn't want scam buyers to do BIN with IP ? With the problems you come up with not sure why you don't. 

Maybe because Ebay is an auction site and rare or unusual items bring more on auctions. OP, these days sellers can't be too picky unless you have a really hot item. If this person offers a reasonable price to you, just add a B.I.N. to the listing with immediate payment required.

I closed the auction and put it up as a BIN for $599.  I don't think this buyer knows that, but I did block this guy after seeing his feedback.

Message 27 of 51
latest reply

Also, I see there are varying opinions on how this should be handled which is the normal thing. It's just which is the best way this time. This guy seems like a real flake to me, but maybe he would actually be ok, I mean he did buy some T shirts with no negative feedback, but of course these were low ticket items.

But I do know all kinds of things can happen after the item is shipped. If I could sell it local I would but only one inquiry off craigslist. Also listed on facebook. not to mention forums that I belong to of like minds
Message 28 of 51
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

@coolections wrote:

@atikovi   I wondered if you had read the previous posts where I stated what I knew about this guy or not and if you would stick with your advice or change it because of the known facts about this guy so far.  Thanks

Message 29 of 51
latest reply

Did you list the BIN with Immediate Payment Required? 

That only means the buyer has to pay when they click BIN... still leaves the way open for a false SNAD when they receive the item. 

Btw ALL buyers have 100% positive feedback...sellers cannot leave negatives. 

Look at the feedback a buyer LEAVES for sellers.

Good luck. 

Message 30 of 51
latest reply