cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Altered Items No Longer Will Be Covered By Ebay

I just called Ebay and was told it doesn't matter if someone alters an item that they can still return it and eBay will not be covering it or closing the return out.  I was told this is an internal change and was not announced, just an FYI to all sellers.  So now I have some used worn underwear coming back to me in the mail, thank you eBay.  If someone opens a return as remorse, admits to opening the package or using the item, they can still return it and get at least a partial refund back for this.   If I can literally buy underwear, use them all within 30 days, open a return and say "I opened and wore every pair" and still get a refund, then why would I not do that?  I can just keep buying items on ebay and using them and returning them and never have to really pay for anything.  Thank you eBay.  News flash, I can't afford this either eBay.  They are saying they cant' afford it, why refund the buyer for something like that?  Just close the darn thing out, you shouldn't be able to return altered items, this is getting out of hand. 

Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@pink.fish.rule wrote:
Free returns is not supposed to cover altering the item then returning it.

I thought one of the reasons to offer free returns, is you could deduct up to 50% of the refund if it was sent back in the same condition.

So you only get screwed for 50%.

Yahoo

Message 31 of 154
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I completely respect your point of view and it is very troublesome as to how Ebay is having sellers handle INADs these days.  In October 2018, Ebay significantly changed the return process for sellers.  And the CSR you spoke to is absolutely correct.

I call the current return process a No Fault return process.  It is NOT in a seller's best interest to try and dispute a INAD of any kind.  It will only result in Ebay ruling for the buyer and you getting a defect on your account.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-summer/simplified-returns.html

As a TRS you have some options after you complete the refund to your buyer that started on 10/1.  Since you are saying the item was altered, I'd not give the buyer the full refund.  You are protected to take up to a 50% discount off the refund.

https://static.ebayinc.com/assets/Uploads/Documents/2019-eBay-Open-Seller-Protections.pdf?fbclid=IwA...

You still get screwed for 50%

What a deal!

Message 32 of 154
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I completely respect your point of view and it is very troublesome as to how Ebay is having sellers handle INADs these days.  In October 2018, Ebay significantly changed the return process for sellers.  And the CSR you spoke to is absolutely correct.

I call the current return process a No Fault return process.  It is NOT in a seller's best interest to try and dispute a INAD of any kind.  It will only result in Ebay ruling for the buyer and you getting a defect on your account.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-summer/simplified-returns.html

As a TRS you have some options after you complete the refund to your buyer that started on 10/1.  Since you are saying the item was altered, I'd not give the buyer the full refund.  You are protected to take up to a 50% discount off the refund.

https://static.ebayinc.com/assets/Uploads/Documents/2019-eBay-Open-Seller-Protections.pdf?fbclid=IwA...

You still get screwed for 50%

What a deal!

I didn't say I agreed with it.  I simply explained.  The two aren't the same.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 154
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@pink.fish.rule wrote:
Free returns is not supposed to cover altering the item then returning it.

I thought one of the reasons to offer free returns, is you could deduct up to 50% of the refund if it was sent back in the same condition.

So you only get screwed for 50%.

Yahoo

LOL That was my response when I first heard that announcement as well 

Message 34 of 154
latest reply

Yup. Happened to me too. Chick unwraps n breaks cello on toy. Kid breaks it, eBay accepts her escalated return in 15 minutes of her escalating at 10pm. I call and ask the cs agent, “On a scale of 1-10, What level of stupid do Ebay return agents have to surpass to get the job”. (Crickets) I then informed them it wasn’t the $15 toy as I’m bringing them $400 a month in Seller fees but the fact that they allow and congratulate this behavior. Sometime this month everything will be ended and I’m already signed up elsewhere for Christmas sales. No love lost on either end..... This place is a bad joke to those who take it serious and I’m over the malarkey. This chick has listed 5 over priced clothing items 😆 yes clearly she’s most valuable. #HandleThat Then the cs chick had the audacity to say I can appeal it (screaming laughing now) Oh ya sure, I’ll make sure to make time to do that! You know when I’m drilling holes in my head and pulling my fingernails out. Can’t attend the same circus wondering why you’re only dealing with clowns. I’m sorry this was also your experience. N more sorry it’s used undergarments from a stranger .....unless ur into that kind of thing
Message 35 of 154
latest reply

Never 👏 Gonna 👏 Happen 👏
Message 36 of 154
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

All of that might work if a TRS - but what happens to the seller who has not achieved that status yet? Do they also get to deduct 1/2?

No they don't get the same protections.  At least not at this time.

Doesn't seem fair IMHO. Thanks for clarifying that. What about the $6.00 postage  return? How will that work out for non TRS sellers?

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 37 of 154
latest reply

I don’t accept returns or cancellations per policy but have absolutely cancelled and accepted returns of reasonable requests. This is malarky
Message 38 of 154
latest reply

Well, I would not buy underwear or anything undergarment wise on eBay.
Message 39 of 154
latest reply

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

Would this not be considered a health issue? Not even swimsuits can be returned according to FEDERAL guidelines with the FDA.  Not even Walmart will accept used personal things. Not even cosmetics, as that falls under the guidelines too. I don't know why I am surprised to learn that eBay is not following the law. You can't even "try on" underwear in a clothing store.

Good luck with this as to be forced to take them back - wish you could send them to the CS who took your call and make her wear them.  It's not only unsanitary - it's disgusting. Stop selling underwear I reckon. And be sure to BBL that buyer.

No such federal guidelines exist, to my knowledge. If you can find it and link to it or quote from it here, that would be great.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 40 of 154
latest reply

@spreadlovelikefire wrote:

Underwear is not included in trying on.  Try taking a package of Hanes into the dressing room at Walmart and see how far you get.  Only on eBay can you return used underwear.  Clothing is different, you can try it on without altering it.  But socks, underwear, diapers, etc...that can’t be tried on and then returned. It’s not hygienic.  Would you want to buy underwear knowing someone could have put them on?

You may not be able to break open a sealed package but department stores do allow try ons of underwear and returns too as long as the tag is still attached if the item is not defective, and the tag isn't required if the item is being returned as defective.

FYI I just returned and was refunded for 10 pairs of underwear to SOMA that were removed from the package and laundered. Only then did I discover that the gusset in every single pair was unattached at the front. No problem.  60 day return policy is unconditional. And yes, they will be trashed when SOMA receives them, not resold.

In major department stores, however, you can easily find panties that still have their tags but also have the yellow sticker with the barcode attached from when it was originally sold and has now been returned.

No regulation against is although some stores have policies that they publish saying they don't allow it.  If they don't allow it, in most jurisdictions they're required to publish this fact in a prominent place.  Depends on the area.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 41 of 154
latest reply

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

All of that might work if a TRS - but what happens to the seller who has not achieved that status yet? Do they also get to deduct 1/2?

Doesn't seem fair IMHO. Thanks for clarifying that. What about the $6.00 postage  return? How will that work out for non TRS sellers?

This is the first time Ebay has ever offered more protections to sellers like this round offers.  it is a start.  We have to start somewhere.  Is there room for improvement, ABSOLUTELY!  One of the things they do with these new protections is that they take into consideration the seller's track record.  To start with, they are using TRS status as their guide to determine this, which is why they are only available to TRS sellers.

As for the $6, that is part of the protections offered to TRS, none of the new protections that started on October 1st are available for non TRS members.

However there are some good protections offered to any seller that offers Free Returns.  Not as much as the newly added ones for TRS, but some good protections nonetheless.  You so you consider that.

Message 42 of 154
latest reply

@umie11752 wrote:
I don’t accept returns or cancellations per policy but have absolutely cancelled and accepted returns of reasonable requests. This is malarky

Or until Ebay forces you to.  No matter your return policy, ALL sellers have to meet or exceed the MBG for buyers.

So one day when you get an INAD and deny it, all the buyer has to do is ask Ebay to step in and you will either take the return and refund or Ebay will allow the buyer to keep the item and you will be forced to refund.  If Ebay has to step in you will also not get your FVF refunded to you.

Message 43 of 154
latest reply

Good for them. Don’t care what they do. I won’t be here. They can sit and spin on it as far as I’m concerned.
Message 44 of 154
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

This is the first time Ebay has ever offered more protections to sellers like this round offers.  it is a start.  We have to start somewhere.  Is there room for improvement, ABSOLUTELY!  One of the things they do with these new protections is that they take into consideration the seller's track record.  To start with, they are using TRS status as their guide to determine this, which is why they are only available to TRS sellers.

As for the $6, that is part of the protections offered to TRS, none of the new protections that started on October 1st are available for non TRS members.

However there are some good protections offered to any seller that offers Free Returns.  Not as much as the newly added ones for TRS, but some good protections nonetheless.  You so you consider that.

Thank you.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 45 of 154
latest reply