cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Altered Items No Longer Will Be Covered By Ebay

I just called Ebay and was told it doesn't matter if someone alters an item that they can still return it and eBay will not be covering it or closing the return out.  I was told this is an internal change and was not announced, just an FYI to all sellers.  So now I have some used worn underwear coming back to me in the mail, thank you eBay.  If someone opens a return as remorse, admits to opening the package or using the item, they can still return it and get at least a partial refund back for this.   If I can literally buy underwear, use them all within 30 days, open a return and say "I opened and wore every pair" and still get a refund, then why would I not do that?  I can just keep buying items on ebay and using them and returning them and never have to really pay for anything.  Thank you eBay.  News flash, I can't afford this either eBay.  They are saying they cant' afford it, why refund the buyer for something like that?  Just close the darn thing out, you shouldn't be able to return altered items, this is getting out of hand. 

Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

Wow, must be one of those new fangled "enhanced seller protections" all the cheerleaders are applauding.
Message 2 of 154
latest reply

If you don't want a buyer returning items, why do you have free returns.

None of us like returns, but it's part of the business.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 154
latest reply

Free returns is not supposed to cover altering the item then returning it.
Message 4 of 154
latest reply

I don’t care about returned items, it’s the altered return items that I’m speaking about. I accept returns on all items but until this point the item was suppose to be in the same conditioned as received.  Your comment isn’t relevant to this post.

Message 5 of 154
latest reply

@pink.fish.rule wrote:
Free returns is not supposed to cover altering the item then returning it.

I thought one of the reasons to offer free returns, is you could deduct up to 50% of the refund if it was sent back in the same condition.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 154
latest reply

@spreadlovelikefire wrote:

I don’t care about returned items, it’s the altered return items that I’m speaking about. I accept returns on all items but until this point the item was suppose to be in the same conditioned as received.  Your comment isn’t relevant to this post.

How is the buyer going to know if they like the item or if the item fits until they open the package and try them?

If I buy something that I can't try first, and find out later I don't like it, it's going back opened or not.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 154
latest reply

To my understanding that was if the customer didn’t mention altering the item.  I’ve had a handful of people say they have tried on underwear and up until this point Ebay would close them out as they admitted altering the item.  They would decide to give them a courtesy refund as Ebay is the one wanting to retain that type of business.  But now they won’t.  I can’t sell open/used underwear.  So even refunding 50% sucks on items like that.  What I was told is that they don’t care if the item is altered or not now, doesn’t matter.  So you can do anything at all to the item and it’s cool.  Even places like Walmart have policies for stuff like that.  

Message 8 of 154
latest reply

Underwear is not included in trying on.  Try taking a package of Hanes into the dressing room at Walmart and see how far you get.  Only on eBay can you return used underwear.  Clothing is different, you can try it on without altering it.  But socks, underwear, diapers, etc...that can’t be tried on and then returned. It’s not hygienic.  Would you want to buy underwear knowing someone could have put them on?

Message 9 of 154
latest reply

Yeah just think on top of all that aggravation you now have to pay sales tax.

After 15 years I'm done with eBay.

Message 10 of 154
latest reply

people try on bikinis/swimsuits all the time in stores.
Message 11 of 154
latest reply

@jojitsusensei wrote:

Yeah just think on top of all that aggravation you now have to pay sales tax.

After 15 years I'm done with eBay.

You do realise any large venue online will be charging sales tax? It's NOT just ebay.

Message 12 of 154
latest reply

They have the hygienic sticky paper in the bottom. Also, bikinis aren’t in packages. You’d have to pop a hole in a package of underwear or alter it by taking the tags of most. At least the ones I sell you do.
Message 13 of 154
latest reply

File a complaint to your state's Dept. of Public Health and Safety.  Perhaps, even the FTC - you can even call them.

Who knows but what they might have something to say about it.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 14 of 154
latest reply

There are plenty of items which you cannot return to a B&M once opened, yet ebay seems to have no problem at all insisting sellers accept them for returns.
Message 15 of 154
latest reply