cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Items Are Free!?

Twice in the past couple months I have had ebay just give the buyer a refund and let them keep the item.

Most recently someone demanded a partial refund in the messages. I don’t do partial refunds. They opened a return, again demanding a partial refund. I approved the request and provided a label. They WANT the item. They just don’t think they should pay for it. I guess ebay agreed. Buyer called and they opened a case. They closed the case in 15 seconds claiming I didn’t respond. Totally disgusting. Outright theft. Second time it’s happened in two months. Are we expected to meet all partial refund demands? Are all items on ebay free for anyone will to call in with absurd, entitled demands?

Next we have GSP theft. Buyers in GSP have found that if they open a return the seller will be forced to provide a return label that is impossible to obtain and in return they will get the item for free. I sold a brand new water heater part via GSP and the buyer, who probably doesn’t understand how it works, opens a return for “not authentic.” It came from Home Depot. Claim is absurd. Ebay says they are going to give him my item for free if I don’t figure out how to buy Mexican postage in four days.  Im taking GSP off of all my shipping policies later today. Ill bet this isn’t the first item this guy has stolen this way.

This is outright theft. As sure as stealing from wal-mart is theft. Is ebay giving away your stuff to obvious liars and cheats as well?

Most recently someone demanded a partial refund in the messages. I don’t do partial refunds. They opened a return, again demanding a partial refund. I approved the request and provided a label. They WANT the item. They just don’t think they should pay for it. I guess ebay agreed. Buyer called and they opened a case. They closed the case in 15 seconds claiming I didn’t respond. Totally disgusting. Outright theft. Second time it’s happened in two months. Are we expected to meet all partial refund demands? Are all items on ebay free for anyone will to call in with absurd, entitled demands?

Next we have GSP theft. Buyers in GSP have found that if they open a return the seller will be forced to provide a return label that is impossible to obtain and in return they will get the item for free. I sold a brand new water heater part via GSP and the buyer, who probably doesn’t understand how it works, opens a return for “not authentic.” It came from Home Depot. Claim is absurd. Ebay says they are going to give him my item for free if I don’t figure out how to buy Mexican postage in four days.  Im taking GSP off of all my shipping policies later today. Ill bet this isn’t the first item this guy has stolen this way.

This is outright theft. As sure as stealing from wal-mart is theft. Is ebay giving away your stuff to obvious liars and cheats as well?

For everything that happens conditions exist such that nothing else could have happened.
Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: All Items Are Free!?

@femmefan1946 wrote:

You MUST offer refund on return.

You MUST do this in the Dispute, not in a message.

If GSP is involved, it is more complicated, because the buyer paid import fees in addition to the payment your received.

The return of those fees are handled by GSP.

tyler@ebay 

Could you clarify how a seller should handle a Not As Described claim which was shipped via GSP?

Hi @femmefan1946 - the thing to remember is that GSP is 'outbound only', meaning any return shipping has to be arranged directly between Seller and Buyer. 

With a SNAD return request on an item that was sent out with GSP we'd ask you as the Seller to arrange return shipping for the buyer. If we were asked to step into the request and we could see that no means of return shipping had been provided we'd typically put it on a brief hold and advise you to provide proof that you'd arranged shipping. If that hasn't been done by the time specified we could issue a refund and allow the buyer to keep the item.

When it comes to the GSP-specific fees on a return, that is handled automatically when a refund is issued. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 32
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

I am not sure I understand that in GSP the seller and buyer must work out the details of the shipping label among themselves, is that correct?

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

When it comes to the GSP-specific fees on a return, that is handled automatically when a refund is issued.

Thanks. This was the part that most concerned me.

It's a question that comes up from time to time on the dotCA Boards.

Now -- if the GSP is not involved, but the buyer uses a freight forwarder, does the seller provide Return Shipping from the forwarding address or from the buyer's address?

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Also if a seller does provide fund to return ship, say $50. via Paypal and the buyer decides to just keep their funds and NOT return, what recourse is there?

Seems like a bit of a risk.. 

Perhaps some type of escrow service for sellers to deposit funds to be collected AFTER buyer buys the label? Or to purchase a label from directly might be a good idea for the future. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Thanks. This was the part that most concerned me.

It's a question that comes up from time to time on the dotCA Boards.

Now -- if the GSP is not involved, but the buyer uses a freight forwarder, does the seller provide Return Shipping from the forwarding address or from the buyer's address?

Oooh this is a good clarification question @femmefan1946! A seller is only required to provide return shipping from the buyer's input address at time of checkout - that goes for any return where a seller provides shipping ('free' returns, etc).

It's important to note (though I'm sure you're aware) that if a buyer discloses they had their purchase from you forwarded to a different location that may impact their coverage under the eBay Money Back Guarantee. Please consider contacting Customer Support so they can review and get you the best options if that's the case. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 20 of 32
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Also if a seller does provide fund to return ship, say $50. via Paypal and the buyer decides to just keep their funds and NOT return, what recourse is there?

Seems like a bit of a risk.. 

Perhaps some type of escrow service for sellers to deposit funds to be collected AFTER buyer buys the label? Or to purchase a label from directly might be a good idea for the future. 

Hi @pikabo-icu - as to your question: if a seller provides funds for return shipping and a buyer chooses to keep that money and the item, there isn't a recourse they would have through eBay. We would end up closing the return in the Seller's favor (since the buyer was provided means to return and did not), but funds sent can't be recovered through us. That's why we'd recommend wherever possible to arrange a way to return the item that doesn't involve sending cash. I've found some members have good success by purchasing labels directly from shippers in the buyer's country and providing them a label.

Regarding your suggestion: I like it! We've begun working with escrow.com on luxury watch listings as well as for motors listings. I'd love to see those kinds of services available on returns like this, I'll get it submitted. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

They don’t return the item. They call. Ebay makes the return into a case takes the money for me and lets them keep the item.

For everything that happens conditions exist such that nothing else could have happened.
Message 22 of 32
latest reply

They say I have to provide a return label from Mexico. I can do that for Canada. Not Mexico. After 4 phone calls they closed that return and DID NOT take my money but they did send me 2 emails saying they would and 3 people on the phone said they would before the fourth finally pulled their head out of their…

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Yes they do they did it twice. When I call and complain about it they give me my money back but they absolutely allowed the buyer to keep the item and the money.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

This guy knows how it works.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@baydistributionllc wrote:

They say I have to provide a return label from Mexico. I can do that for Canada. Not Mexico. After 4 phone calls they closed that return and DID NOT take my money but they did send me 2 emails saying they would and 3 people on the phone said they would before the fourth finally pulled their head out of their…

When you can't provide a return shipping label, you have to send the funds to the buyer so they can ship it back,

Have a great day
Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Again always falls back on seller "what is your return policy" Never the fact that Ebay provides and encourages dishonest buyers. Sellers are not protected at all. 

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

Not at all true Ebay does not require the dishonest buyer that they provide to return the item I know because they did it to me.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Nice to here from the ebay cheerleaders and the statement if you cant afford to have your items stolen from you dont sell them Great advise.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

exactly correct

Message 30 of 32
latest reply