cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepting Returns No Longer Required for Top Rated Status?

Hello, I am a bit confused, has Ebay changed their policy on Top Rated Seller status requirements?

I thought accepting 30-day returns was required, but after searching, now I'm seeing that it isn't.

Lately I've had a slew of buyers initiating returns for the reason given, "Changed My Mind".

I have offered returns on all of my listings in good faith, in the event a part is defective, with the added goal of achieving Top Rated status, but this isn't going too well. Inexplicably, I've had record numbers of returns lately, and it seems people are just changing their mind, leaving me with the bill for the return shipping. Has this been happening to anyone else lately? It's rather frustrating.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Inexplicably, I've had record numbers of returns lately, and it seems people are just changing their mind, leaving me with the bill for the return shipping.

@element2631 

I think this problem is because you offered Free Returns (on the sold listings I looked at, anyway), so they'd all be approved. But to answer your question... No, TRS don't have to offer Returns.

You might consider using 30-Day (Buyer pays) Returns, as you could then deny remorse Returns. Good luck.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Accepting returns has never been required for TRS status, though it is required for getting the TR-Plus designation on a listing.

If you haven't reached TRS status, it's due to something else such as the number or dollar value of your sales in the past 12 months, or performance criteria.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-standards-policy?id=4347#section3

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

You might consider using 30-Day (Buyer pays) Returns, as you could then deny remorse Returns. Good luck.

A seller who offers 30 day returns can't deny remorse returns. When the seller has a return policy, buyers can return for any reason.  Only a seller who has a no return policy can deny remorse returns, no? 

But if the buyer doesn't want to pay return shipping, they can lie and claim NAD, in which case the seller must accept, return policy or not.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I looked at your listings and you aren't classified as a TRS on them at all on this ID.  Free returns are only required to make a listing qualify for the discount and be TRSplus, but you have to be TRS before that comes into play.   Just to be a TRS does not require allowing for remorse returns.

Oops--slow typist and thinker.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

A seller who offers 30 day returns can't deny remorse returns. Only a seller who has a no return policy can deny remorse returns, no? 

According to the Help page for buyers, "When the seller accepts your return request, you'll either receive a return shipping label from eBay or the seller, or you'll be asked to purchase a label directly from a carrier." I don't know how or why a seller would decline a return if their policy states that they accept returns but buyer pays.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-items-not-received-refunds-buyers/returning-item/return-shi...

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The previous replies are relevant to your question and I do NOT think the policy has changed, only that you slightly misinterpreted part of it (you don't have to offer no-excuse-needed Free Returns in order to achieve TRS status; that's only to get the fee discount -AKA "TRS Plus"- for each listing sold once you have already achieved TRS status).  

That said, your post piqued my interest because I currently have my first 2 returns after many months of none, and they are 'Changed my mind' and 'Just didn't like it'.  Incidentally the 'Changed my mind' one really surprises me because she wrote to me to inform me that a few of the jewelry pieces in her order arrived broken, so I apologized and informed her if she filed a return it would be automatically accepted (I am a TRS and this was a Free Returns item) so she totally could have chosen 'INAD ' or 'Arrived Damaged'.  But her written note in the return details says "On further thought this item does not suit my needs".  

So yeah, it almost does seem odd that you're asking that question and it has been my recent experience.  I think it's just a coincidence though.  

Incidentally, neither of these 2 buyers have shipped their item yet.  One started their return on the 6th and the other on the 9th.  They're probably just procrastinating, knowing they have plenty of time (which I find irritating considering my money is on 'hold'), but fingers crossed maybe one or both of them actually changed their minds about changing their minds, lol.  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

One of my buyers who initiated a return recently never bothered to send it back, so it was automatically closed. Another buyer procrastinated past the 30 day deadline, but I still offered him a return because I understand some people get busy, or at least that's what he claimed. However, it seems some people just don't take it too seriously one way or another.

Anyway, this thread has been helpful. Thanks to all who chimed in. I'm gonna go ahead and change my policies a bit, but in the spirit of good customer service, I will still offer returns on most items, but I'm gonna change it to "buyer pays" for return shipping. It just looks better than having no returns at all, and will hopefully discourage frivolous purchasing.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

A seller who offers 30 day returns can't deny remorse returns. When the seller has a return policy, buyers can return for any reason.  Only a seller who has a no return policy can deny remorse returns, no? 

But if the buyer doesn't want to pay return shipping, they can lie and claim NAD, in which case the seller must accept, return policy or not.

@albertabrightalberta 

You know... I think you're right. I happen to use 30-Day (Buyer pays) Returns, and I accept remorse Returns. I thought  that I had the option to deny them (but can't find policy that backs that up), so I suppose I don't  have the option to deny them after all... only the benefit that the buyer pays return postage for remorse.

I'm one of those who finds that if an item sells once, it will again. I've only had a couple of remorse Returns in the past few years, and the items sold to the right buyers the second time they sold.

With all that being said, @element2631... I think you were wise to revisit your policy. Good luck... hope it helps!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply