cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A year later - is ebay missing any of us who won't use managed payments?

So after over 18 years on ebay - most as a TRS (when it meant something)  - I refused to opt into ebay managed payments, and left ebay .  

I wonder if ebay misses any of us? - when I look at the 6 figure sales I do on Amazon - I wonder if ebay misses the commission on those sales? I also wonder what the real reason was for trying to force many of us - who use other online venues, as well as our own sites,  into a seperate payment system we did not want - nor need?

I actually was just allowed to LIST a closeout of a lot worth $2000 for $850  (7 of them) ... without managed payments  - but not allowed to edit it - once I tried , I got the "must use managed payments to list or update" screen.

How does that make ANY common sense? 

Message 1 of 113
latest reply
112 REPLIES 112

@peterrabbit616 wrote:

Do you sell anything or do you just flit around and post all day? 2000 + posts since February? A lot of people aren't aware of the new rules coming in 2022. If you something constructive to contribute, by all means post away.

What a surprise that you ignored what I posted and instead attacked me personally. Your pontifications are just wasting electrons.

Message 76 of 113
latest reply

Here's the thing about eBay fixing problems. It has now been a year since they started Managed Payments in the US. It is just now being enforced on the Canada website. There are still problems on the US site and am sure there always will be. Same situation as when they introduced the shopping cart feature. The shopping cart still does not work right on either site especially for combined purchases. eBay knew shortly after they implemented the shopping cart that it had a glitch in it but rather than spend the time/money to fix it they left it as it is. Eventually out of necessity sellers had to learn how to do work-arounds to get it to work. This often meant refunding buyers for overcharges which cost them extra money in fees which are not refunded to the seller for partial refunds unless they want to do even more work and put in a request manually to eBay for the fee difference. This rarely happened because to each seller it was only a small amount and they didn't bother. Ah, but multiply that by the number of times it has happened to millions of sellers and you can see how much extra money in fees it meant to eBay. So the chances of them fixing a glitch which is making them money is ZERO.  Could be wrong but I am betting the same scenario may play out with the Managed Payments glitches.  Some would say this is a smart move on their part but it does not sit well with me.  Which is ONE but only ONE of the reasons why I am not signing up for Managed Payments. My D-Day is coming very soon but I am okay with that since I was retiring at the end of this year anyway.  I am fully aware they will not miss me and I will not miss them either.

Am I ending all my live listings before then? No. In the email from eBay they clearly state they will remove my live listings on the June 15th if if I don't sign up by then. If they don't remove my live listings as they stated they will, they are inconveniencing the buyer not me if a purchase is made and I can't receive the funds for the payment.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

Message 77 of 113
latest reply

Just looking at two numbers does not mean much. One must put it into context. Compare to other Market Places, was their a worldwide disaster, and numerous other occurrences can equate two numbers showing a drastic change. It does not always mean what one would assume at first glance.

Message 78 of 113
latest reply

They would like to have you, but they do not miss you. How many of the items from those sellers were truly unique such that buyers here were unable to find a similar item at a similar price from a similar seller? eBay only cares THAT there is a sale on their site, not WHO that sale goes to.

I just got a book on Saturday that has, per my research, only one copy for sale anywhere on the web (on ABE). It's not on Amazon and bookfinder found that one copy at ABE.

Since I refused MP, I guess this unique item goes . . . .

Message 79 of 113
latest reply

eBay is a commission based revenue company. Any sale lost to another platform is a loss to eBay.

Exactly.

They and posters can laugh all they want at "the little guy," and say it doesn't need our sales, but it IS revenue lost.

And it's "the little guy" who usually has the unique merch that used to make eBay so attractive

Message 80 of 113
latest reply

"Since I refused MP, I guess this unique item goes . . . ."

And yet, remarkably enough, ebay will survive....

Message 81 of 113
latest reply

If we leave ebay misses you or I nearly as much as the Queen Bee misses the loss of a single drone. Nearly, but not quite

PS; OP who "left ebay" is now in MP and has items for sale

Message 82 of 113
latest reply

@dugoldstuff wrote:

eBay is a commission based revenue company. Any sale lost to another platform is a loss to eBay.

Exactly.

They and posters can laugh all they want at "the little guy," and say it doesn't need our sales, but it IS revenue lost.

And it's "the little guy" who usually has the unique merch that used to make eBay so attractive

So very true. 

Certain categories that I always had bookmarked to search - there are no or few new offerings.  

Sellers were also Buyers.  I too am buying much less on here- the items I would normally search have much less to offer.   Mind boggling.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 83 of 113
latest reply

Not a single person leaving eBay is ever noticed or missed.

Message 84 of 113
latest reply

I'm a "little guy". I agree , ebay needs the hard to find stuff many of us provide. But...there are a LOT of us little guys in Managed Payments, many of us aren't leaving, and ebay will manage. During Covid, ebay gave us many, many more free listings, so even a little guy can now list far more than before, which will take up a lot of the slack from those departing.

But, look, I get it: you want to think that the departing sellers are doing serious damage to eBay's bottom line. I see no evidence of that, and , based on past departures and their accompanying claims of ebay's imminent collapse, I'd say it is very, very unlikely.

That rare book you aren't going to list on ebay? Think about it....every day there are sellers...many of whom have never sold on ebay...selling neat old stuff somewhere else: online, at a flea market or antique mall or used bookstore, wherever. And yet, despite the fact that ebay doesn't get a cut of all those sales, ebay DOES get a cut of enough other sales to do very nicely. It's not a zero sum game. 

You'll do fine without ebay, I have no doubt, but why kid yourself? ebay will also do fine without you and the other departing sellers, large and small. 

Message 85 of 113
latest reply

You'll do fine without ebay, I have no doubt, but why kid yourself? ebay will also do fine without you and the other departing sellers, large and small.

Of course eBay will survive without the little guy, and even plenty of the big guys.

I am under no illusion about that.

What I said is the unique items, as one other poster has noted, seem to be going away.

That's what made eBay a unique place too. That's what set it apart. Now, what will?

If eBay wants to become Amazon-lite, that's it's choice.

For niche items, other sites will spring up.

Message 86 of 113
latest reply

If they don't remove my live listings as they stated they will, they are inconveniencing the buyer not me

That's true.

eBay doesn't care who it inconveniences: buyer, seller, it makes no difference.

The main thing is power, i.e., forcing people into compliance.

That's what big tech is all about.

Just think how the buyer is going to feel when they don't get their item.

How long will eBay hold their money? Seven days?

Message 87 of 113
latest reply

Guess they didn't miss you as much as you missed them.  I see you are now in MP and listing items again.

Message 88 of 113
latest reply

You are a bit behind the times (and you aren't alone). ebay's previous CEO, Devin Wenig, clearly saw ebay as a serious Amazon competitor. But eBay's current CEO, Jamie Iannone, has been very clear that ebay can't --and shouldn't---take on Amazon and WalMart...instead, he wants to position ebay as the place to go for vintage, used, collectible, refurbished, etc....exactly the kind of stuff Amazon and WalMart don't really do much with. Sure, ebay sellers do sell new stuff here, which is fine. But he sees ebay's strength in all the other stuff. 

And yes, small sellers provide a lot of that kind of stuff. But I don't agree it's going away. There is a lot of that stuff on the site, and frankly, I'd say it is growing. Of course, demand shifts and some things aren't as prominent as they had been. But others are more prominent as sellers realize the demand is there.

ebay isn't going away, and plenty of old stuff , collectible stuff (new and old), used stuff....will remain here. A few years ago, I would have agreed with you...ebay was putting far too much effort into fighting a losing battle (versus Amazon and WalMart). But today? ebay is happy to let those two, and their competitors, Target, etc...slug it out...while ebay quietly builds a site that avoids direct competition with those guys.

ebay wants to be Amazon? No, not at all. 

Message 89 of 113
latest reply

@biggymoe wrote:

Guess they didn't miss you as much as you missed them.  I see you are now in MP and listing items again.

As are so many others who started I'M LEAVING threads.  Odd that none of them ever come back to start I'M STAYING AFTER ALL threads, isn't it? 

=

Message 90 of 113
latest reply