cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A seller got my phone number from order details.

I recently received a call from a seller I bought some stamps from. She said she was worried that maybe I didn't get my stamps delivered.  The issue is, that I don't want to have my phone number shared with sellers. She told me she got it from the order details of the purchase I made.

Is this something that  can be changed and not have my phone number for the seller to see? I rather only communicate through Ebay message.

Thank you for any help, I've tried getting in touch with Ebay about this, but I can't get a clear answer .

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Nope; that info is there because some 'shipping entities' require a phone number. 

I, for one, have found it a tremendous help (and so has my customers when I need to call because they order conflicting items, or items they just ordered or items that are also in a combo kit they ordered or or or....) 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

About to finish my 23rd year of selling and have never called a buyer.

Seems that the seller could have just messaged that question. That would have conveyed their concern without the call.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Sellers aren't meant to use the number. It's only for the shipping carrier. However the seller will have access to it since they are the ones shipping your item.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I sell and buy stamps. Never called or received a call. You will probably never get another call again.

Yes...our telephone number is out there. Not much you can do.

As a seller yourself...always expect the unexpected. Anything as a seller or buyer can happen.

I kinda feel that was a nice seller by the way who contacted you. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I would have not called for that reason.

Called a buyer today that was requesting an overnight shipment.  Was able to get things ironed out quickly and the buyer was very pleased.

Called, left voicemail and texted. Buyer called back within minutes. Went with UPS next day air saver as the choice. I do deal with mainly business buyers that need parts for service, cutovers, etc. Just part of great service from my perspective. No buyer has ever questioned receiving a phone call, but common business sense and courtesy has to prevail as whether to call or try using eBay messages. 

Posting ID
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I normally don't call my buyers, even though in some cases I have their number.

Those I sell good working laptops to, I do include my business card so they can reach out if they have issues with the purchase.

I have had I think one buyer contact me about something, but it was a strange call, and fortunately was short.  But that was many many years ago.

I get the concern with this, but fortunately, most sellers aren't going to call their buyers.  Many don't even have time to message their buyers, even if they should.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Phone numbers are not protected information within the public space & are used for delivery primarily outside of USPS, they are not capable of doing so. This did come about as a result of an ebay user agreement update. Sadly your only option is to not use ebay. No way around it.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Put a fake phone # on your eBay account, not your real one,  if it bothers you that much. Maybe eBay's corporate #, just for fun.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I never call any of my buyers and all communications I do with buyers is through eBay.

If you do not want sellers to have your number just grab a free Google voice number and use that

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I got an odd call from a buyer once. I just asked them not to call me again, to just message me through eBay if necessary. They never called me again.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply