cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A massive drop in sales

This significant problem has been bothering me ever since the last few weeks. I'm looking for fellow sellers, who, perhaps, can relate.

The problem is, as stated in the title of this thread, an amusing - massive DROP in sales.

My personal experience:

This month my profit only accrues to a startling 100$ (!!!), while  in April the money made was around 1700$.

I've been selling on eBay for almost a year now, and this is absolutely, conspicuously the worst selling performance I've ever had, I made only 1/5th of what I made during my former worst selling month.

Has anyone experienced a proportional decrease in sales? If so, do you have any ideas on how to recover?

- RLM

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: A massive drop in sales

I kinda wonder if maybe eBay is just lowering the visibility of sellers with listing violations?

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Never happened up until this month. My competition (if you bother enough - look it up) has an immense amount of listing violations, however it hasn't affected their placement.

Anyway, the problem is not the placement but the sales themselves. To be completely honest, I don't even see a change in the placement of my listings (confirmed it by searching with different accounts), once again, the sales are the ones that took a hit.
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

I once listed a prohibited item years ago on accident (it was so obscure, I had no idea it was prohibited) and Ebay removed it. 

I called customer service twice and asked "BUT I SEE THOUSANDS OF SELLERS SELLING THE SAME THING!"

Their response? "Those thousands of sellers are in policy violation, too. You probably got caught because your listing was reported" (often, your competition reports you)

Once a competeror reports you, you stop flying under the radar so smoothly.

I had ONE policy violation for listing a prohibited item - one that thousands of other people were selling. And I got a warning. Luckily, I was assured that my little blemish would disappear within a year. This was years ago, and I've been told my account has no violations now, so it must have gone away.

You have 1,000+ policy violation items. I had ONE and I got a warning and got freaked out over it.

You have over 1,000+ listings violating policy violations.

Ebay can turn a blind eye to one or two, but if they see you have over a thousand listings violating policy, you will be in hot water. 

All it takes is for one or two of your competitors to anonymously report a handful of listings, Ebay will look into it, and BAM. It won't matter if there are others out there who sell the same things you do. That argument won't hold up, trust me.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Not to mention, all your gallery photos have text in them, which is also a policy violation.

So you're looking at multiple policy violations x 1,000+ (per listing), and I sense your descriptions have some violation too because of the whole "Send me your username, I'll add you on Steam, add you my friend's list, and gift you the item" thing, when there's a strict protocol in place for delivering digital goods on Ebay, and I can tell you... this is way outside that protocol.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

About the tags, under what circumstances is that not considered "keyword spamming"?

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

Sometimes slow sales is a good thing.   The fraudsters are out in full force this month.  I just gave away a pair of $30 shorts because my new Golden State basketball shorts did'nt match his other old & faded Golden State "gear". Gave them away just to move on with my life & get rid of the hassel.

I have another guy in China trying to return a set of golf clubs. He's already left me good feedback on the clubs & is now saying the shafts are bent.  As a seller, I might acually might be out $830.00 before the month is over.   Times are good..

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Don't forget*sellers* are buyers too, therefor, not unlike like myself, if I am not selling I am not buying:)

Simple money in money out..just sayin

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Well, this thread took an interesting change of topics from sales to listings. Anyway, I find the informstion you provided helpful and will be adjusting my listings in the future. Thank you for help.
Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Have you ever thought about listing other items? That should help.☺

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I completely relate.  Never seen it this bad.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have seen time and time again...post 20 or more new items per month and your sells will improve...Temporarily.

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@castlemagicmemories

To Opt Out, Go To:
"Account Settings"
On The Left, click on "Site Preferences"

You'll see The Following screen (photo attached)

Find eBay Guaranteed Delivery Setting

click "show"

Then  "edit" next to:

Offer eBay Guaranteed Delivery

It'll take you to the Guaranteed  page and you select "opt out"

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

Yes I have traffic and lising impressions dropped alarmingly, havn't listed since.
Message 28 of 29
latest reply

I have also ceased buying.
Message 29 of 29
latest reply