cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A massive drop in sales

This significant problem has been bothering me ever since the last few weeks. I'm looking for fellow sellers, who, perhaps, can relate.

The problem is, as stated in the title of this thread, an amusing - massive DROP in sales.

My personal experience:

This month my profit only accrues to a startling 100$ (!!!), while  in April the money made was around 1700$.

I've been selling on eBay for almost a year now, and this is absolutely, conspicuously the worst selling performance I've ever had, I made only 1/5th of what I made during my former worst selling month.

Has anyone experienced a proportional decrease in sales? If so, do you have any ideas on how to recover?

- RLM

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: A massive drop in sales

Op, I am aghast at the drop you show there, and so sorry that has happened to you!

Just search low or no sales on this Board.  Many, many threads will pop up.

Many sellers have reported similiar drops and described it as turning off a faucet~visibility is shared~or switching off a light.

Try to list some new things, and tweak your existing listings, titles, descriptions, pictures.  Try to vary your items.  Be sure to use all the keywords a buyer would to find your listing when searching.  They say listing every day improves visibility, so do sales.  Wish I had a magic wand!  But  I hope things pick up for you soon.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

@rocket_league_market wrote:

This significant problem has been bothering me ever since the last few weeks. I'm looking for fellow sellers, who, perhaps, can relate.

The problem is, as stated in the title of this thread, an amusing - massive DROP in sales.

My personal experience:

This month my profit only accrues to a startling 100$ (!!!), while  in April the money made was around 1700$.

I've been selling on eBay for almost a year now, and this is absolutely, conspicuously the worst selling performance I've ever had, I made only 1/5th of what I made during my former worst selling month.

Has anyone experienced a proportional decrease in sales? If so, do you have any ideas on how to recover?

- RLM

Sales tanked for me at the beginning of May.  I'm on a par to make less than 1/3 of what I usually make in a month if sales continue to be this bad.

They have picked up the last couple of days to the point where today and yesterday I sold 50% of what I sold in the first two weeks, but I'm still under what I normally sell in a week.

I was opted in to guaranteed delivery about the same time.  I don't think it's a coincidence.  I'm thinking about trying 1 day handling to see if it helps.  I don't really want to though.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

You sell NOTHING but Steam gaming digitally delivered goods, and even say in your listings that buyers must give you their Steam usernames, so you can be friends, and THEN the item can be gifted, yada yada. People buy Steam digital goods (codes, items, extras, DLCs, etc.) on many other websites, or they trade within their own friend's list. There are literally over a dozen million means where people could collect goods that can be traded or redeemed onto their Steam account. You sell within an EXTREMELY narrow niche category, and you're not even the first to do this. There are literally dozens of other sites just like yours where gamers go to buy the same exact things you have. There's nothing wrong with Ebay, there's just lots of competition for the same exact stuff you have for sale, on many different platforms all across the far reaches of the internet. To go even further, you ONLY seem to sell Rocket League items, which is just ONE game (of many) on Steam, so that narrows you down from being in a niche category to being in an extremely narrow niche category.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

You're selling digital items outside the designated category. I'm surprised Ebay is letting you sell at all.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

And they're items that can't be sold-- no game out there allows you to sell in-game items for real cash.  In-game items can be sold for in-game currency, not real money.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

As a buyer i am noticing this bad in collectibles and particulalry in glass.

The completed listings just aren't showing anything sold. I noticed one item last week that just days before was going around $40 and at $10 didn't sell. 

I do research before listing. Some categories it has been literally weeks since the last sale at all. Not one single sale in all of eBay?

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@baantiques wrote:

@rocket_league_market wrote:

My personal experience:

- RLM

Sales tanked for me at the beginning of May.  I'm on a par to make less than 1/3 of what I usually make in a month if sales continue to be this bad.

They have picked up the last couple of days to the point where today and yesterday I sold 50% of what I sold in the first two weeks, but I'm still under what I normally sell in a week.

I was opted in to guaranteed delivery about the same time.  I don't think it's a coincidence.  I'm thinking about trying 1 day handling to see if it helps.  I don't really want to though.

Can you opt out of the Guaranteed Delivery?

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Hi Rocket, very glad you posted cuz you are in breach of multiple policies that need your immediate attention. You are VERY lucky to have flown under the radar thus far. Rule violations can get your listings removed and get your selling privileges suspended, for a few days, or in some cases, permanently. Below are some of the things i noticed along with the accompanying policy. Spend a little time reading up on selling rules, Listing guidelines, the User Agreement, and forum threads to bring yourself up to speed.

~Important: remove contact information and outside links from listings. Ebay is cracking down hard on sellers who violate this policy. It can lead to off-site sales and nothing can get you booted off the platform as quick as this.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/listing-policies?id=4213

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/links-policy?id=4248

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/payment-policies/offers-buy-sell-outside-ebay-policy?id=4272

~Text, words, borders etc. cannot appear in your gallery of images.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/images-text-policy?id=4240

~There are some specific guidelines on how to sell digitally-delivered goods.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/digitally-delivered-goods-policy?id=4...

I know this will be a lot of work with the number of listings you currently have. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Wishing you improved sales and much good luck.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Are you in Vilnius, Lithuania, selling in the USA?

You listing pictures have so much in them, it is hard to discern what you are selling.

Don't think eBay allows electronic delivery in your catagory.

Patd

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

I get where you're coming from, and indeed, eBay is looking at digital item sellers with their eyes closed. I cannot defend myself against this argument, but what I CAN say for a fact, is that there are multiple sellers (even in the game of Rocket League) that have been selling digital items for multiple years with 700+ feedback count (if allowed I can provide links to their shops as well)

- RLM
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

I can agree that there is a little amount of games that let you sell items for real cash, CS:GO per se. Rocket League is no exclusion, however, selling Digital Rocket League items has been a thing ever since the initial release of the game (what was in 2012), and Rocket League, even while being completely conscious, doesn't release serious regulations because of a sheer reason that such item selling businesses attracts more players to the game. Take gameflip for example, a 1+ million user Digital Item selling platform, in which selling Rocket League items is one of their main focuses.
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Thank you for your help, I'll take a look at the information you've provided and see what I can do. Regarding "Text, words, borders etc. cannot appear in your gallery of images." - I started doing it because of competition, ever since my rivals adapted borders their listings were more appealing, hence they "stole" (If I may say so) the potential costumers. I tried other designs, but this one was the most effective.
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Thank you for the reply. I have set my selling location to USA simply because I can deliver the items 24/7 (I have a fixed working time, but if a costumer is not comfortable with it, I'll easily adjust to what suits him and deliver as fast as possible). Why USA you may ask, well, approximately, I'd say, 70% of my sales come from there, and I want my costumers (both potential and repeating) to know that I'm ready to deliver the item at any given time they're comfortable with. I tried putting my location to Lithuania, but from my experience with such setting I gathered that people are hesitant and they rather choose a seller from a more notorious country (perhaps because Lithuania is not a big nor cosmopolitan).
Message 14 of 29
latest reply

That's 100% correct, I do sell only Rocket League items. It has been my niche for approximately a year now and I was and still (kind of) am comfortable with it. I see what you tried to insinuate, and in fact I think that I should consider your points. Selling a wider variety of items in segregated categories has never hurt anyone afterall.
Message 15 of 29
latest reply