cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A buyer wants my email to complete the payment

Hi, so to preface, this is the first item I’m selling an item. With what I’m selling, someone made an offer, I accepted, they followed up asking for more pictures of the item and now they are asking for my email to complete the payment. Why would my email be necessary? I’ve never once needed any sellers email, to my knowledge at least. Is this a scammer I’m dealing with?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: A buyer wants my email to complete the payment

I wonder why they would ask for more photos AFTER they made an offer.

@usgrant18642008 

The "text me" (or email me) scammers are not buyers.  They are criminals that work the eBay site 24/7.  They want your cell phone number (which they get if you text them) or your email address to continue with their planned scam.  They could care less about photos.  When their offer is accepted, it also allows the buyer four more days to carry out their plans. 

If a seller falls for the first part, then the crooks want them to include the prepaid gift cards for their daughter (uncle, grandmother etc.) for their birthday (graduation, wedding, first communion, etc.). They will pay you extra for this, of course, once you provide them the codes.  At that point the card money is spent, and the seller is left with a FAKE payment notification with a handy but phony log in link to enter the tracking number. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Yes, most likely a scam.  Regardless, no buyer needs your email address.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

@mr_merchant_chris wrote:

Why would my email be necessary?

So they can send you a fake email saying you've been paid, hoping you'll ship the item.

Add their ID to your blocked buyers list and cancel the order in 5 days and use nonpayment as the reason.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

SCAM ALERT 101

Have no further communication with them.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Old scam new victim. Block ignore and take off best offer.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

You have encountered an ebay scammer trying to get your item for free by sending you a fake email with payment. Happens all the time on here. You just have to be informed that NO TRANSACTION WHATSOEVER GOES OFF EBAY AND THEIR MESSAGE SYSTEM.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Report the buyer ID to ebay. Very important so that they can trace all accounts associated with this scammer.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I wonder why they would ask for more photos AFTER they made an offer.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Don't do it. No need for the buyer to have your email to complete a transaction. Hopefully the offer was made through Ebay, and not as a "side deal". Too many scammers out there for you to take that chance.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@mr_merchant_chris 

This is a scam attempt.  Tell the buyer to pay you thru the Ebay payment options listed on your page.  If they don't pay you, cancel the sale on day 5  citing non payment and then block them.  New sellers are scam magnets.  Wishing you better and more positive sales.

Happy Selling. 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Has anyone told you it's probably a scam?

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Yes, so far 6-7 people have told the OP that very thing.  

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Therein lies the joke.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

"Therein lies the joke."

I just hope the OP has read these answers and takes them to heart.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Me too. I know reading advice like this to others on this board has helped me to be aware of scams. My stuff isn't really a scam magnet but I've had a couple of questionable incidents in my first few hundred sales.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply