cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Letter to EBay Regarding Covid-19 Policies

Dear Ebay,

This is an issue for both buyers and sellers. It is a much bigger problem for buyers than it is for sellers.

These are unprecedented times and Ebay is making life much more difficult for buyers and sellers across the globe in their time of need.

The decision to pull items such as hand sanitizer and respirator masks etc... from Ebay's shelves is not only unwarranted, it is down right dangerous. Ebay has always been a place for buyers to turn when they couldn't find what they were looking for in a store near them. That is truer today than ever before.

I both buy and sell on Ebay. I have done so since 1998. It is a place where entrepreneurial spirits and buyers in need come together. Well right now, there are buyers in desperate need of the items you are pulling from your shelves. They need hand sanitizer to keep themselves safe and for those that are sick, they need masks to keep from infecting other people. In addition, first responders at small volunteer fire houses, hospitals and more, need them to keep their people safe. Ebay is a place they should be able to get these items, at any price they are willing to pay. It is not to be considered price gouging. It is the simple rule of supply and demand.

The federal government and state governments are hoarding these supplies and it is not trickling down to the people who need it the most. The governments are to blame, not the sellers.

I urge EBay to stop this insanity and return Ebay to the American way. The American way is an open and free market for all Americans. Level the playing field and allow your buyers, average Americans and citizens worldwide to obtain the items they so desperately want, need and are willing to pay for. If you do not, a lot of people will pay for your misguided decision with their lives. Their blood will be on your hands for failing to provide access to needed supplies. These supplies are not available in many areas of this country and the world anywhere else but Ebay.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: A Letter to EBay Regarding Covid-19 Policies

Blame the greedy, those sellers that prompted eBay to establish policies in order to combat widespread price gouging.

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

the problem is those sellers are taking advantage of this situation and way over charging people for those items. Its a scum bag thing to do. People are losing jobs right now and cant afford to be ripped off. Im glad ebay is removing those sellers. Its heartless and greedy to do what they were doing and trying to get rich off peoples fears of getting sick. .

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

it is a sad state of affairs that eBay found it necessary 2 banned these items because of price gouging. eBay is following govt rules at this time and
because they can't possibly regulate thousands of sellers who can change prices in the blink of an eye all sellers and buyers are to pay the price all listings of certain items must be forbidden in this health crisis All of us suffer in the end
Message 4 of 41
latest reply

Spoiler
I both buy and sell on Ebay. I have done so since 1998. It is a place where entrepreneurial spirits and buyers in need come together. Well right now, there are buyers in desperate need of the items you are pulling from your shelves. They need hand sanitizer to keep themselves safe and for those that are sick, they need masks to keep from infecting other people. In addition, first responders at small volunteer fire houses, hospitals and more, need them to keep their people safe. Ebay is a place they should be able to get these items, at any price they are willing to pay. It is not to be considered price gouging. It is the simple rule of supply and demand.

Sorry I do not agree, when a group of people clean off the shelves of stores to create a demand IS NOT capitalism OR supply and demand as I see it. The only exception may be those in remote places.

I respect your position, but I for one do not support it.

How about this, keep the items on the stores shelf for a month without some ebayers cleaning off the shelfs and lets see how much of a shortage there really is. Lets see the TRUE price of goods. 

I'll tell you the risk, the risk is going to the store and sections are cleaned off. My wife and I risking goin into public for no reason. Childish but necessary signs like one per coustomer.

So, I respect you right to have an opinion but will be in opposition to it  vigorously.

I am quite critical with ebay for many reasons related to seller protections, but for the most part am encouraged with their stand on this issue. Good job ebay on this issue.

Regards

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

i disagree. By stopping this it stops those sellers from buying up all of those items because they cant make money on them so it will benefit buyers because the items will be available at the stores and online to purchase from places like walmart and other online stores.. If they cant make money by ripping people off it then there is no reason to be greedy and buy and hoard all those items that people need to stay stafe.

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

If that is what u got from my posting then maybe I wasn't clear or I stated it badly
Due to some greedy sellers now eBay has decided none of theses items can be listed
I agree that these listings should be stricken so there is no reason for hoarding of these products to take place.
It hurts buyers who can not buy these products on line because the aren't available and they for whatever reason can not get out to purchase them in stores.

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

Please stop blaming and Ebay and stop blaming the government for your problems. There are reasons for both. No one is hurting because Ebay doesn't want you or any other seller here gouging. Also those masks are for people who HAVE the virus so they do not spread it to others. If you happen to get the virus I am positively sure the medical staff will help you out so you so not spread it to others also.

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Please stop blaming and Ebay and stop blaming the government for your problems. There are reasons for both. No one is hurting because Ebay doesn't want you or any other seller here gouging. Also those masks are for people who HAVE the virus so they do not spread it to others. If you happen to get the virus I am positively sure the medical staff will help you out so you so not spread it to others also.

Many people who don't have the virus are wearing masks and it is recommended to do this. Wearing a mask will stop the droplets from an infected person getting on a healthy person's face/nose. It also stops a healthy person from touching their mouth/nose while wearing a mask.

I and many of my neighbors and friends wear masks. They are a good thing and help stop the spread of this virus to an otherwise healthy person.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.
Sunny

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

The federal government and state governments are hoarding these supplies and it is not trickling down to the people who need it the most. The governments are to blame, not the sellers.
_

That is simply not true. They are giving the supplies the first responders to keep them healthy. How do you expect healthcare workers to keep working if they get covid-19?
Message 10 of 41
latest reply

These Price Gougers are the same ones, that when they were kids stole a extra hundred or two from the bank when playing Monopoly, and the banker wasn't looking... They are now participating with their morally broken compasses as corrupt adults.

In normal times you can't sell mask and hand sanitizer on Ebay. Simple economics. Product is too cheap to generate a workable margin with all the fees and shipping expense. So with Federal Laws in place stating guidelines of no more than a 10% mark-up pre crisis, all those items are price gouged now. Just leave them in the stores, believe me American's will be much better off; healthier in their wallets, while safely having the access they need to essentials known to kill Coronavirus.

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated.  Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but discussion should always remain courteous and respectful.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

@illsellforyou2016 wrote:

Dear Ebay,

This is an issue for both buyers and sellers. It is a much bigger problem for buyers than it is for sellers.

Why? Buyers enjoy complete protection on ebay. If you mean it's a problem due to the virus, I think it is no less of a problem than receiving any mail, which the vast majority of us still do.

Ebay is a place they should be able to get these items, at any price they are willing to pay. It is not to be considered price gouging. It is the simple rule of supply and demand.

It's actually simple profiteering, as outlined in most State's laws, and in emergency anti-price gouging declarations in the majority of those that remain. The "law" of supply and demand is an economic law, not a legislative one. Two different things. FWIW, there is also a Federal law against price gouging, lest you think the states somehow went rogue against...economics(?).

Dear Ebay,

The federal government keeping emergency supplies in our strategic reserves is a national security issue. It has nothing to do with anything you're talking about. Now, if the current administration is misusing/mismanaging those reserves, that is another issue, but not the one you're talking about.

I urge EBay to stop this insanity and return Ebay to the American way. The American way is an open and free market for all Americans. Level the playing field and allow your buyers, average Americans and citizens worldwide to obtain the items they so desperately want, need and are willing to pay for. If you do not, a lot of people will pay for your misguided decision with their lives. Their blood will be on your hands for failing to provide access to needed supplies. These supplies are not available in many areas of this country and the world anywhere else but Ebay.

The "American way" is to follow the law. We are a nation of laws, not men. Remember? Price gouging is against the law in most states. America, along with all other developed democratic countries, is a "mixed-market", not a "free market". Government regulation is required to manage markets. Without it, markets destroy themselves.

There is no blood on ebay's hands. If needed supplies are not available, that has something to do with people hoarding them so they can profiteer from the panic. This represents a market failure. Price gouging/profiteering causes market failure by removing needed items from the public local space and funneling them to the highest bidder in a broader space, thus denying them to a greater number of people.

Profiteering is not OK. Don't do it. If you have those needed supplies, reach out to the states that you hear need them. They are buying those supplies as we speak. Or you could donate them to hospitals or people in need.

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

... had to take call, and couldn't finish last thought.

Price Gougers are among the 'Highest Risk' individuals to even buy from! Think about it. These individual scurry all over their respective geographic area, targeting 10's of different store locations daily, to wipe out inventories. They are at a dangerously high risk from contracting the virus, on multiple fronts. The money exchange they come in contact with, the public at large, product handling, store fixtures etc. From what is known so far, Covid-19 can live 24 hours or longer on a cardboard surface, and a couple days on less porous surfaces, according to CDC site. If the 'Price Gouger' becomes infected, it is very likely the package they ship, is contaminated as well.

So, the package that the buyer purchased, may in fact contain the virus they bought the product to protect themselves against. Not only are these individuals engaging in 'Unlawful Commerce', they increase the risk to the public health, by also completely ignoring guidelines to 'Shelter in', as they travel freely from store to store removing inventory to price gouge, many times over increasing their risk of contamination, and infecting, innocent others.

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

The decision to pull items such as hand sanitizer and respirator masks etc... from Ebay's shelves is not only unwarranted, it is down right dangerous. Ebay has always been a place for buyers to turn when they couldn't find what they were looking for in a store near them.

The counter-argument to yours is that by taking away the incentive to resell these items, there is a greater chance there will still be supplies in local stores. 

Message 15 of 41
latest reply