cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 out of 4 returns due to item is not Wood, when described as wood (and btw, it's really wood!)

I have several wooden items up for sale. Initially I had 'no returns' marked as my return policy.  I had two buyers claim it was not wood, while the item was in their possession and I had to refund them, and they kept the item.  Ok, lesson learned, I changed my return policy to '14 days, and money refunded when buyer sends item back , they pay postage'.  Again,  a third return but this time they did send the item back.  I tested (physical sample) off the item and it's wood.  I believe this is one of the most common scam techniques and I wish eBay would acknowledge that seller's are getting the short end of the deal on this and come up with a better  way to handle this type of situation.  I believe that no matter what the reason the buyer does not like the item, they must return it to the seller to get their money back. Period.  How many of you have had this problem with wooden items? I'm seriously considering taking all my wood  listings down. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: 3 out of 4 returns due to item is not Wood, when described as wood (and btw, it's really wood!)

If people want to return, they will claim not as described in some way..........so they don't have to pay return shipping.

Is it the same item that people are claiming not wood........what's the item?  If it's the same item......I'd probably just not list it again as something is putting off 4 people?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: 3 out of 4 returns due to item is not Wood, when described as wood (and btw, it's really wood!)

Three separate items.  And two of them, they were not required to return, due to the setting on my return policy at the time.  Update:  I took all my wooden item listings down.  Not worth the effort to deal with constant claims that it was not described accurately (when it is).

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

If buyers got a refund without returning, you must have refused to accept the return. That’s on you.

If you had to test an item to see if it’s wood, maybe this isn’t the right place to sell it.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Your buyers were mistaken about the items not being wood. You had to test it so it might not have been obvious.

That does not qualify as a scam.

You refused the returns so they were refunded and kept the items - as per eBay policy.

That's not a scam either.

Claiming scams when there probably was none hurts all sellers, including you.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@zan_antiques wrote:

I tested (physical sample) off the item and it's wood.

Were you not certain until you tested it?

At the very least, hopefully you took photos or video of you testing it to add to the listing.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Agreed, I had the wrong return policy set originally.  I've learned that lesson.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I was positive when listed.  But when the buyer has the item in their possession, you can't prove anything.  Pictures don't necessarily protect the seller completely.  It's okay, I learned my lesson and will not list any more wooden objects.  it was just so surprising that those are the only items that I got returns and claims of not as described.  There's a theme there.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Well, i've learned that this is a technique that buyers use in order not to have to pay the return postage back.

Lesson learned. Thanks  Folks!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

If someone requests a return with the reason 'item not as described' and you have a no returns policy, you still get the option of either accepting the return and refunding once you receive it back or refunding without requiring a return.   As others suggested, you must have just gone ahead and refunded instead of accepting the return.   All sellers are responsible for return shipping when the item is not as described whether or not they have a return policy.

With a no return policy you have the option of not accepting a return if the reason is for buyer's remorse.... that's the main difference between accepting and not accepting returns.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@zan_antiques wrote:

Agreed, I had the wrong return policy set originally.  I've learned that lesson.  

Your return policy is irrelevant when a “not as described” case is opened.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply