cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099 limits

I understand that 1099 limits for sales during 2023 are $20000 and 2024 are $5000 but my question is this what are the state limits for a 1099?  Specifically from Alabama? Is there a list posted somewhere?   Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

1099 limits

• $5000 is ONLY being 'thought about' by the IRS
  • Know that you need to report your income over $600 REGARDLESS if you get a 1099 or not; if the 'threshold' is $20k/200 transactions and you do $15k and NOT report it with your Federal Taxes, you are committing Tax Evasion. 
  • Per Google: (see the blue underline Alabama Dept etc.)
  • IRS requires 1099-MISC to be filed by February 28 (paper) or March 31 (electronic). Give vendors their copies by January 31. To read more about how to file in Patriot Software, please read, Electronically Filing Your 1099s
  • Alabama requires 1099-MISC filing if Alabama income tax withheld
  • Participates in the Combined Federal/State Filing Program? Yes
  • Filing deadline: January 31
  • For more information: Alabama Department of Revenue
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

1099 limits

"Know that you need to report your income over $600 REGARDLESS if you get a 1099 or not; if the 'threshold' is $20k/200 transactions and you do $15k and NOT report it with your Federal Taxes, you are committing Tax Evasion."

I thought we -- meaning people who file a U.S. tax return on Form 1040 or appropriate version of it --
WE are all expected by the IRS to report any and all income on our 1040 forms.  

Therefore, I think saying "you need to report your income over $600.00" is mistaken, and possibly not good advice. 

When an eBay seller earns any amount of money from their eBay sales, they are expected to fill it in on one of those many lines on the first page of the 1040 where we're all supposed to list all our income.  That's why there are so many lines in the "Income" section of the 1040.  The IRS wants to know all of it.  

Income = Money Coming In.  

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

1099 limits

@monroe67 wrote:

"Know that you need to report your income over $600 REGARDLESS if you get a 1099 or not; if the 'threshold' is $20k/200 transactions and you do $15k and NOT report it with your Federal Taxes, you are committing Tax Evasion."

I thought we -- meaning people who file a U.S. tax return on Form 1040 or appropriate version of it --

Therefore, I think saying "you need to report your income over $600.00" is mistaken, and possibly not good advice. 

When an eBay seller earns any amount of money from their eBay sales, they are expected to fill it in on one of those many lines on the first page of the 1040 where we're all supposed to list all our income.  That's why there are so many lines in the "Income" section of the 1040.  The IRS wants to know all of it.  

You may be correct; used to be that you did NOT have to file if you had NO INCOME over $600..a the $600 is the 'new' threshold that the IRS is bouncing around with, yet SOME states are using that figure, $1000 or $1500 etc.

But yes, I will CORRECT myself- just report ANYTHING you get selling here. 

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

1099 limits

@rickj04910 

Alabama requires a 1099-K according to the IRS thresholds.

https://www.1099pro.com/Downloadable/2022-1099-K-Delay.html

The thresholds for other states can be found in that link as well.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

1099 limits

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated 

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

1099 limits

I've made $19,000 each past 8 years and never paid a dime in Tax. I'm as big a tax scofflaw as the Bidens I guess!

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

1099 limits

The 1099-K issuance requirements for 2023 depend on which state you live in. I believe you are in Alabama which for the 2023 tax year is $20,000. That does NOT mean you should not be reporting all income simply because you did not receive a 1099-K. 

NOBODY can tell you what will happen in 2024. The original federal law that changed the 1099-K issuance threshold to $600 was passed in 2021 as part of the American Rescue Plan Act. However, implementation of the law has been postponed by the Federal government since its passage. There are ongoing discussions as to what it will be in 2024 but nobody knows for certain what will finally be codified, if anything. 

There is also the possibility, due to the lethargic mode at the federal level, additional states may pass their own laws and set their own issuance thresholds before the end of calendar year 2024. To sum it all it the situation is a mess at the moment. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

1099 limits

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:
  • $5000 is ONLY being 'thought about' by the IRS
  • Know that you need to report your income over $600 REGARDLESS if you get a 1099 or not; if the 'threshold' is $20k/200 transactions and you do $15k and NOT report it with your Federal Taxes, you are committing Tax Evasion. 
  • Per Google: (see the blue underline Alabama Dept etc.)
  • IRS requires 1099-MISC to be filed by February 28 (paper) or March 31 (electronic). Give vendors their copies by January 31. To read more about how to file in Patriot Software, please read, Electronically Filing Your 1099s
  • Alabama requires 1099-MISC filing if Alabama income tax withheld
  • Participates in the Combined Federal/State Filing Program? Yes
  • Filing deadline: January 31
  • For more information: Alabama Department of Revenue

I think you meant 1099K.

I believe that number is $400.  And notice, the IRS rules say NET income, not Gross [before deductions].

Who Must Pay Self-Employment Tax?

You must pay self-employment tax and file Schedule SE (Form 1040 or 1040-SR) if either of the following applies.

• Your net earnings from self-employment (excluding church employee income) were $400 or more.
  • You had church employee income of $108.28 or more.

Generally, your net earnings from self-employment are subject to self-employment tax. If you are self-employed as a sole proprietor or independent contractor, you generally use Schedule C to figure net earnings from self-employment.

If you have earnings subject to self-employment tax, use Schedule SE to figure your net earnings from self-employment. Before you figure your net earnings, you generally need to figure your total earnings subject to self-employment tax.

Note: The self-employment tax rules apply no matter how old you are and even if you are already receiving Social Security or Medicare.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/self-employment-tax-social-security-an...

Who must file

Most U.S. citizens or permanent residents who work in the U.S. have to file a tax return.

Generally, you need to file if:

See if you need to file: answer questions to find out

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/check-if-you-need-to-file-a-tax-return

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

1099 limits

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

@monroe67 wrote:

You may be correct; used to be that you did NOT have to file if you had NO INCOME over $600..a the $600 is the 'new' threshold that the IRS is bouncing around with, yet SOME states are using that figure, $1000 or $1500 etc.

But yes, I will CORRECT myself- just report ANYTHING you get selling here. 

That is only a rumor, never a fact.  It is from the assumption that since businesses / employers that hired someone and paid them cash / check for work done didn't have to report the payment to the person on the 1099-Misc unless they paid them at least $600.  Kind of like those that thing the threshold on a 1099K FORM sets the threshold for all income needing to be reported. 

FORMS never set the standard.  IRS does.  No one form has ever set this minimum.  It doesn't even make sense it would.  

I know that you do not believe this, but for those that think the 1099K Form threshold sets the amount you have to report to IRS and if you don't qualify for a 1099K, you don't have to claim that income.  So for example this year is $20,000 and 200 transactions, some think if they have $19,999, then they don't have to report that income.  

So think about this.  What about people that their income is reported on a W2 from their employer.  Do they get the first $19,999 free of taxes?  Of course not.  So then why should someone that gets a 1099K?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

1099 limits

@sylvercoins wrote:

I've made $19,000 each past 8 years and never paid a dime in Tax. I'm as big a tax scofflaw as the Bidens I guess!

@sylvercoins 

Was that because after deductions you didn't owe any taxes or was it because you never reported the income?  There is a difference.

You got the wrong president.  It was Trump that proudly said he doesn't pay taxes.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

1099 limits

@sylvercoins wrote:

You're worshiping the wrong guy - it's Trump who's too "smart" to pay taxes.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

1099 limits

@sylvercoins wrote:

You're worshiping the wrong guy - it's Trump who's too "smart" to pay taxes.

Agree there is a HUGE difference between tax cheating and tax avoidance. There are a LOT of rich people and billion dollar corporations that pay little to no federal income taxes while continuing to grow the value of the corporation to their shareholders. For example in 2021.

Politicians who harp about raising the taxes on the rich are blowing smoke. It's not how high you raise the tax rate it is how much people actually pay. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1711971521461.png

dbfolks166mt_1-1711971708744.png

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

1099 limits

@sylvercoins wrote:

"President Joe Biden and his wife, Jill, made $579,514 last year and paid $137,658 in federal income taxes".

That's 23.5%.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

1099 limits

How much did Hunter Biden pay?

Message 15 of 22
latest reply