cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed payments SUCK

This new payments system sucks. I don't get my money right away & it's not going into my paypal account. It is screwing up my accounting and making it harder to pay for shipping as I have to transfer money into my paypal to pay for shipping. I don't know which items they are giving me my money for. They get to hold onto it in their bank and are making millions on interest while they have it thinking we are stupid and have no idea what they are doing. It is making things so much harder to sell on here. No wonder the honest dealers are leaving, I'm about to call it quits as well. I want to handle my own funds. I'm not a 14 year old that needs help managing his money. Tell eBay to GIVE us back our MONEY!

Message 1 of 361
latest reply
360 REPLIES 360

Re: Managed payments SUCK

Thanks for the reply, @mam98031 .

I wasn't implying that MP was any better/worse than PP. It simply seems wrong to charge fees on state sales tax. IOW I'm already being penalized by the state. Now eBay compounds that penalty. 😞

Thanks again.

Message 301 of 361
latest reply

@reidgreetings5 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, @mam98031 .

I wasn't implying that MP was any better/worse than PP. It simply seems wrong to charge fees on state sales tax. IOW I'm already being penalized by the state. Now eBay compounds that penalty. 😞

Thanks again.

Sorry that makes very little sense to me since you dealt with it in PayPal too, but somehow now that it is Ebay it is some huge deal.  I do not understand why it wasn't a problem in PP too.

@reidgreetings5 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 302 of 361
latest reply

No. I said it right here:

"

I wasn't implying that MP was any better/worse than PP.

"

What bothers me. Is that the Final Value Fee considers State Taxes a Value, and bases their fees on the value of the item AND the Tax combined. NOT the actual value of the item itself.

IOW I sell a car for $500 dollars. The State bases their Final Value Fee on $500, and taxes THAT value. eBay bases their Final Value Fee of the $500 car AFTER it's been taxed.

See the difference? This has nothing to do with MP vs PP. It's the way in which Final Value Fees are calculated.

Message 303 of 361
latest reply

@reidgreetings5 wrote:

No. I said it right here:

"

I wasn't implying that MP was any better/worse than PP.

"

What bothers me. Is that the Final Value Fee considers State Taxes a Value, and bases their fees on the value of the item AND the Tax combined. NOT the actual value of the item itself.

IOW I sell a car for $500 dollars. The State bases their Final Value Fee on $500, and taxes THAT value. eBay bases their Final Value Fee of the $500 car AFTER it's been taxed.

See the difference? This has nothing to do with MP vs PP. It's the way in which Final Value Fees are calculated.

I completely understand the process.  I've been in MP for awhile now.  You are on the outside looking in and making some assumptions that simply are misleading and some simply not true.  And you are trying to argue these points with someone that is in MP and knows first hand how fees are applied.

YES MP does charge their FVF on the ENTIRE amount that a buyer pays.  They do not reduce the payment by anything, they charge the fee on the ENTIRE payment.  I hope we are clear on this now.

YES  PP charges their fees on the ENTIRE amount the buyer pays.  They do NOT reduce the payment by anything, they charge their fees on the ENTIRE payment no matter what the break down of that payment is.

As I have TRIED to explain to you a few times, but clearly I have failed, not all transactions / sales on Ebay are subject to sales tax.  So YES fees are a little more on a sale that has sales tax on it, but it is LESS for sales that do not have sales tax on them.  And they are less for sales with sales tax below 6%.

You are STUCK on looking at a sale that is above 6% sales tax and trying to make it seem that it is going to be more expensive for sellers in MP due to the fees they charge and it simply is an extremely inaccurate statement.  Certainly true if you ONLY have transactions with buyers that have above a 6% sales tax in their location.  But that is highly unlikely for any seller to get ONLY that type of sale.

If you want an inaccurate piece of information, then continue with your assessment, that is your right.  However if you want to know the ACTUAL impact of MP fees on you as a seller, you need to widen your vision / view and consider more transactions.

I did a comparison for 6 months.  I compared my fees BEFORE MP against my Fees IN MP.  Each and every month I saved a little money in MP.  Not a great deal as it was consistently about .50%, but a savings nonetheless.  It was NOT an increase.  So I frequently tell members that they are likely to see a neutral change in their monthly MP fees verses what they paid before entering MP.

The fees in MP have NOT increased overall fees. The following numbers represent those that do not have a store and the fee rate for most common categories [not all].

Fees BEFORE going into MP
10.20% FVF + 2.9% PP fees = 13.10% plus 30 cent per transaction fee.

In MP the fees are:
10.20% FVF + 2.35% money processing fee paid to MP = 12.55% plus a 30 cent per transaction fee.

@reidgreetings5 

Message 304 of 361
latest reply

You're convoluting the point. Which you have apparently completely missed.

Please allow me to better articulate...

The state defines taxable value on an automobile as such:

I sell a vehicle for $500. The state' taxable value is based on $500.

I sell an item on eBay. eBay' FVF is based on:

the amount agreed upon myself and the buyer AND the taxes that the state collects for that sale.

At 10% state sales tax, that comes to $550 for that same vehicle. So you, as a seller are being taxed by eBay as a FVF for the sales tax your state has already imposed.

IOW

State sales tax is not a value except to the state, and now eBay. IMHO this is a gross miscalculation, and a characterization of the word value. 😞

Message 305 of 361
latest reply

@reidgreetings5 wrote:

You're convoluting the point. Which you have apparently completely missed.

Please allow me to better articulate...

The state defines taxable value on an automobile as such:

I sell a vehicle for $500. The state' taxable value is based on $500.

I sell an item on eBay. eBay' FVF is based on:

the amount agreed upon myself and the buyer AND the taxes that the state collects for that sale.

At 10% state sales tax, that comes to $550 for that same vehicle. So you, as a seller are being taxed by eBay as a FVF for the sales tax your state has already imposed.

IOW

State sales tax is not a value except to the state, and now eBay. IMHO this is a gross miscalculation, and a characterization of the word value. 😞

@reidgreetings5 

I'm unsure as to why we are talking about a vehicle but OK.  I'm not familiar with Ebay Motor's FVFs on cars.  Taxes on vehicles vary by state and counties within that state.  While 10% is a valid tax rate for some areas in the USA, it isn't the most common or the average.  It is the high end of taxes.

But if I were to look at this as a sale of something other than a car, most categories carry a 12.55% fee for non store owners.  So 12.55% of the $50 of tax = 6.27.  

In PP it would have been $50 x 2.9% = 1.45, a pretty bid difference.

However you also need to look at that the FVF on the entire transaction before MP and once in MP would be something like this.

BEFORE MP

51.00  $500 x 10.20 Ebay FVF

15.95  $550 x 2.9% PP fee

.30  Per transaction fee

66.95  Total fees

IN MP

69.03  $550 x 12.55% MP Fee

.30  Per transaction fee

69.33  Total Fees

It is important to acknowledge and understand that every sale in a given month is NOT going to be for items with a 10% sales tax rate.  That just isn't going to happen unless this is the only sale you have in a month.

Sales for sellers that sell multiple items in any given months period with be a variety of numbers.  Some with sales tax, some without, some with lower sales tax than 10%, etc.  It will be a variety.  So if you want the actual impact of how your selling fees on Ebay will be impacted when you move into MP, you have to look at a variety of transactions.  I've always recommended at least a months worth of transactions.

For myself I did the comparison for six month.  Each month was far closer to being a neutral change in my overall monthly fees.  If you get stuck on this one type of transaction, you will never get to the reality of what is factual for you.

And notice that on sales that have no sales tax or have a sales tax below about 8%, you will actually SAVE a little money on fees in MP.  Which helps to offset those times you pay more.

Message 306 of 361
latest reply

"

I'm unsure as to why we are talking about a vehicle but OK.

"

I chose that analogy because it was the simplest form I could conceive to illustrate the point I'm making. Which, regrettably, you are still completely missing. Are you by chance simply acting obtuse to raise your ratting with number of replies?

The point tortuously attempting to be made here. Is that:

The eBay FVF (Final Value Fee) considers State Tax as Value

But it is not Value, except to the State . So why does eBay consider State Taxes Value?

Message 307 of 361
latest reply

@reidgreetings5 wrote:

"

I'm unsure as to why we are talking about a vehicle but OK.

"

I chose that analogy because it was the simplest form I could conceive to illustrate the point I'm making. Which, regrettably, you are still completely missing. Are you by chance simply acting obtuse to raise your ratting with number of replies?

The point tortuously attempting to be made here. Is that:

The eBay FVF (Final Value Fee) considers State Tax as Value

But it is not Value, except to the State . So why does eBay consider State Taxes Value?

I don't have a clue as to what your point is.  Ebay charges a FVF.  Call it a "value" or whatever you want to, it is a fee.  I don't know that this really has a point.

Message 308 of 361
latest reply

"

I don't have a clue as to what your point is. Ebay charges a FVF. Call it a "value" or whatever you want to, it is a fee. I don't know that this really has a point.

"

Sorry. I'm out of words.

Message 309 of 361
latest reply

@reidgreetings5 wrote:

The State bases their Final Value Fee on $500, and taxes THAT value. eBay bases their Final Value Fee of the $500 car AFTER it's been taxed.

The "State" is not charging a Final Value Fee. It's charging sales tax on the purchase.

eBay, a publicly held corporation, is an online marketplace platform that sells its services to people who want to list items on their website. It charges whatever Final Value Fees the market will bear, based on whatever components it chooses and sellers agree to in the Terms of Service and/or the User Agreement.

The State is a governmental agency that collects taxes on a myriad of tangible property, transactions, etc., as directed by the tax codes enacted by the Legislature in that state. 

You're trying to compare two totally different kinds of entities--government versus corporation--and two completely different types of money being collected--government taxation versus a corporation's fee for users of its services--and attempting to draw a parallel. There's no comparison between the two.

One entity, the State, is charging the tax on a purchase as required by law. The other, eBay, is charging a fee for allowing individuals to use its services on terms agreed upon by the company and the seller.

Here's a better comparison: if I carry over the balance for a purchase on my credit card, I'm charged interest on the total amount of my purchase--the item, plus shipping, plus sales tax--for the convenience of using the credit card company's services, as agreed upon by the credit card company and its customers.

Message 310 of 361
latest reply

Couldn’t agree more. It sucks so bad. Very little transparency now and it’s 5X more complicated and frustrating. Hard to believe this was approved by eBay but we ALL know why it was approved. You really ruined the eBay experience which was already borderline bad. Sad part is there isn’t really anywhere else to go. Shame on you eBay.

Message 311 of 361
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby 

NO.

What I am saying; is that:

• the state considers VALUE as the value of the item itself.
  • eBay considers VALUE as the value of the item AFTER it has been taxed

Which has zero to do with "what the market will bear" -- online, or offline, and has no relation to actual value of the item itself. Which, in turn misrepresents the definition of the word/term "value".

Message 312 of 361
latest reply

@reidgreetings5 wrote:

@eleanor*rigby 

NO.

What I am saying; is that:

• the state considers VALUE as the value of the item itself.
  • eBay considers VALUE as the value of the item AFTER it has been taxed

Which has zero to do with "what the market will bear" -- online, or offline, and has no relation to actual value of the item itself. Which, in turn misrepresents the definition of the word/term "value".

Some states have sales tax only on the price of the item, others also tax shipping, it depends on the state.

As for Ebay, they are charging their fees on the total transaction when the seller is in MP.

Message 313 of 361
latest reply

Please don't feel obligated to tag me on a thread I have no intention of revisiting in order to debate a topic with you based on a straw man fallacy. Thanks.

Message 314 of 361
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Some states have sales tax only on the price of the item, others also tax shipping, it depends on the state.

As for Ebay, they are charging their fees on the total transaction when the seller is in MP.

Anyone who thinks that a government's mandatory sales tax on purchases comes anywhere close to being the equivalent of a corporation charging fees for the option of doing business on its site is never going to stop debating the topic, because s/he just doesn't understand the inherent flaw in their logic. It's a great example of a false equivalence fallacy, though. 

Message 315 of 361
latest reply