cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers getting scammed with empty box returns

I've been seeing lots of empty box return scams committed against sellers and eBay always siding with the buyer. Seller is out the money, and item. Numerous post, the guy with the 1k VR headset, the other with graphics cards, and many more. I can only imagine that it wont be long before someone takes matters into their own hand to seek retribution.

After all, the seller already has the buyers address, depending on location could be an hour drive, or they might know someone in the area and ask for help. It could turn ugly. This has the makings of a TV show.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Sellers getting scammed with empty box returns

Ebay is a generally good platform.

The trend today is for Tech companies like eBay to maximize profits by any means possible.

Having AI manage things with few employees. I hope it does not backfire for Ebay.

Companies like Amazon are very profit and AI centric, this means computers will choose the mass over the individual.  Once the scams start eating into profit, they may react.

Not sure what else to say. Folks like me are saddened by the lack of response.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

One of the several things that Amazon has over eBay, is that you have to return the items to them, in order for the refund to be submitted. They at least have numerous options on where to return the item, and once goods are verified received, refund is submitted. The chances for scamming on Amazon, whereas eBay, as long as it shows received, that's it, there is no verification if the actual good was sent. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It's been a popular scam at retail stores. That is why they now look over returns with gusto.

Just have to add some to all your prices to cover such loses.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Bad move for any seller on here to actually pursue someone in person over this stuff without solid proof they would only be hurting themselves. Best way is to start a small claims court case and give them a bad credit rating when you win the case becuase they wont show up for court and have a collection agency after them. Also police reports in their jurisdiction.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@titipeo wrote:

I've been seeing lots of empty box return scams committed against sellers and eBay always siding with the buyer. Seller is out the money, and item. Numerous post, the guy with the 1k VR headset, the other with graphics cards, and many more. I can only imagine that it wont be long before someone takes matters into their own hand to seek retribution.

After all, the seller already has the buyers address, depending on location could be an hour drive, or they might know someone in the area and ask for help. It could turn ugly. This has the makings of a TV show.

I can guarantee you that this has already happened on several occasions. These scammers are stupid and don't know who they mess with, they are targeting random people who for all they know could be complete psychopaths.. I have read some stories about sellers going to great lengths to get revenge and i found it rather enjoyable to be honest.

If you steal thousands of dollars from somebody who is already struggling you may have made a mistake. One story involved a guy that drove some 5 hours just to get a hold of the scam buyer and he scared the living daylights out of him to the point of begging for mercy. I feel pretty confident that the scammer reconsidered his life choices at that point.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I would be very interested in reading some of these stories. Like you, I think I would also find them enjoyable. Any chance you can be talked out of a link to some of them?

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Unfortunately i don't remember where i read it. Could have been here, youtube, reddit.. who knows.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

YOU NEED BETTER COMMUNICATION SKILLS LOL. NO WONDER AMAZON IS TAKING OVER CRAPPY EBAY. EBAY SUCKS. SOMEONE ASKS A QUESTION AND EBAY COMMUNITY IS EXTREMELY RUDE. NO WONDER NO ONE USES EBAY ANYMORE

Message 9 of 9
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: