cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller pays for returns and eBay sends a pre-paid return label. Should I use that free label ?

Example:  You buy something on eBay for $452 and the listing indicates seller pays for return shipping (USPS).  So after a few weeks you apply for a return.  Within three days, a return prepaid label is available, and the buyer doesn't pay for return shipping.

1.  Is the buyer required to use this label?

2. What are the consequences if the buyer does not?

3.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of using that provided label?

4.  What happens if you use that eBay return label using the U.S. Post Office and the package gets lost?

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Seller pays for returns and eBay sends a pre-paid return label. Should I use that free label ?

@lucubrate wrote:

You hit the nail on the head, mtgraves.  Here's the problem. . . . and the problem is created by eBay's return label. which I did use.  The Priority Mail Label sent to me to use for the return through the USPO/USPS has only $100 of insurance.  Furthermore, the buyer returning the package to the seller CANNOT add/increase insurance to the package.  The insurance is inherent in and an integral part of the label transmitted by eBay.

This is plain wrong.  If/when eBay creates the return label and encourages the buyer to use the label, then one of two things should be done:

1.  eBay adjusts the label to conform to the value of the product being returned, or, in the alternative,

2.  the buyer returning the package can pay eBay an extra amount if the buyer wants the proper amount of insurance.

There should be a warning attached to future return labels to eBay members about this or any insurance limitation.  This way the consumer can make an informed decision to accept the risk/limitation of the free label from eBay or decide to pay for the cost of return shipping with the proper insurance amount.

Three eBay reps over the phone promised me a complete refund because eBay disconnected the seller while insisting repeatedly I contact the seller, but then the next rep said that it was wrong that I was promised a refund.  Just like several of you stated, one gets a form e-mail response which does not address all the issues or sometimes the response is completely irrelevant.  The phone calls are massive time-wasters because one cannot rely on what the reps state.  I've wasted over 10 hours on this purchase.

RE: credit card idea:  The credit card company will cover theft or damage within 120 days of purchase.  There is no provision for a lost package benefit.  

Does PayPal have a lost benefit to completely cover the value of an item lost in shipping?

You don't need insurance. When you use the label provided the seller is responsible for the package so if the package is lost you're still owed a refund.  It doesn't matter that the seller is gone eBay will force the refund and go after the seller.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 31 of 37
latest reply

Re: Seller pays for returns and eBay sends a pre-paid return label. Should I use that free label ?

@lucubrate wrote:

But the Seller is no longer with eBay so how would eBay get money from the Seller?  

The last email received from eBay stated:  "After careful review, I just wanted to be transparent with you, the reason why you are not refunded is because there is no proof of delivery to the seller."

eBay would still have all the seller information. Even if for some reason they didn't have access to getting the payment they could send it to collections. 

The credit card company wouldn't be the one to lose the money. 

Also whoever denied your refund was wrong. I'd contact through Facebook messenger asking to appeal if that doesn't work then use your credit card 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 32 of 37
latest reply

Unfortunately the label provided by eBay does not give a full refund and thus I was not made whole. The seller got the full amount of the money and I was left with no product and no money. The postal service will give $100 maximum as per that eBay label.

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

@lucubrate wrote:

Unfortunately the label provided by eBay does not give a full refund and thus I was not made whole. The seller got the full amount of the money and I was left with no product and no money. The postal service will give $100 maximum as per that eBay label.

You need to contact eBay through Facebook messenger and ask to appeal showing you used the label provided. If that fails you need to file with the CC you paid with. 

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

Contacted the CC company and also read the benefits document.  There is coverage for theft and damage, but there is NO coverage for loss.

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

@lucubrate wrote:

Contacted the CC company and also read the benefits document.  There is coverage for theft and damage, but there is NO coverage for loss.

I've never heard of a cc company that doesn't cover lost packages.  

Or returned items that were lost.

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

@lucubrate wrote:

Example:  You buy something on eBay for $452 and the listing indicates seller pays for return shipping (USPS).  So after a few weeks you apply for a return.  Within three days, a return prepaid label is available, and the buyer doesn't pay for return shipping.

1.  Is the buyer required to use this label?

2. What are the consequences if the buyer does not?

3.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of using that provided label?

4.  What happens if you use that eBay return label using the U.S. Post Office and the package gets lost?

1. No

2. You are responsible for the item and if it arrives damaged or goes missing you get to eat it.

3. Tracking/None

4. If the seller buys the label they eat it

Message 37 of 37
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: