cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning item as defective because the XL is too small.

Buyer purchased some pre-owned shirts that are no returns. The shirts are XL and the buyer says the XL is too small. I said the shirts are a European brand, but they are licensed to sell in the U.S. and none of my other customers have complained about the XL being too small. Customer puts in a refund request because the item is defective. Claiming the shirt is defective because it is small for an XL. This an expensive Brand and not some “Wish” t-shirts that are of course ridiculously small. What I sold him is perfectly fine size-wise. I went to eBay and complained he is abusing the return policy. Do I have a chance eBay will side with me? He sent pictures of one of the shirts and measured it and said the Brands website lists the shirt as 21.7 inch and it measures at 20.5 but in the pictures the shirt is very wrinkled and not flat and smooth before he measured. He insists it shrank, but I told him I line dry my clothes. 
Considering his complaints will EBay side with him that it’s a legit defect? 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Returning item as defective because the XL is too small.

These deals typically never go well for the seller. Sorry. The only thing i would say you could improve is adding visual measurements on your pictures. If you take measurements for the buyer before the purchase, just add them to the current listing so you can have a little more supporting your case. Honestly your listings look great and i would of purchased a T if i was not financially under water. If believe if you offer free returns (30 days) you may be able to recoup half of the value on returns if i am not mistaken.  I am sure someone on the boards can chime in to verify that.

-Good Luck

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

eBay will side with the buyer.

Any buyer can say "not as described" -

READ the MBG!

I looked at a couple of your listings and none have measurements.

Even if they did.... buyer says "not as described" and he wins.

You have choices - 

1) Accept the return, send the label to return the item and refund the buyer once you get the item back.

2) refund in full without the buyer returning the item.

3) let eBay decide - you will lose the item, the $ and get a seller defect on your account.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

No, Ebay will not side with you. Ebay will refund without a return  if you do not accept the return.

No one likes refunds, especially not very low volume sellers.

Take the return. Eat the costs of shipping. Move on. If you sell clothing on Ebay you cannot avoid having to take some returns.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@justncs wrote:

Do I have a chance eBay will side with me? 

No.

Zero chance.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Sounds like the buyer would rather blame you than admit they're overweight, but unfortunately ebay will take his side, and refund if you don't. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hi @justncs 

I'm afraid you don't have a chance of winning a dispute once a buyer claims an item is 'not as described'.  I agree with those that advised putting measurements in your listing.

[BTW, line-dried clothes can still 'shrink' ... even if dried in the shade, which few people do.]

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Start putting measurements on all your listings and you stand a better chance of someone the item won't fit buying it.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

If you want them returned before you refund, you need to accept the return and provide a shipping label.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: