cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returned item and USPS tracking number not recognized be eBay

I returned a damaged item and went through the return process.  I used the return label and per the USPS website, the item was delivered to the seller.  However, ebay is not recognizing the tracking number.  What should I do?  I only have till the 29th and how do I get ebay to recognize this?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@tornado_alley_chaser wrote:

I used the [eBay] return label and per the USPS website, the item was delivered to the seller. 

However, ebay is not recognizing the tracking number. I only have till the 29th 

eBay has acknowledged this glitch (pretending not to recognize eBay's own tracking number on eBay's label) but is not fixing it because this glitch makes money for eBay.

The workaround is simple @tornado_alley_chaser Just add a digit 0 in front of the tracking number.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

This is absolutely crazy.  I should not even have to put in a tracking number since I used their stupid label.  eBay has really gone down hill over the years.  Thank you for the help.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Contact ebay they can correct the issue on their end to update the tracking. It happened to a customer of mine as well and all they did was call and got refunded.I didn't know I received it yet because it went to my post office instead of being delivered to my home and they held it for me so the seller may not even know it's even back.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

How does not acknowledging the glitch make more money for eBay?

Causing buyers to try and figure out how to get their return refund can result in the

buyer not coming back. That means less money, not more.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@bctk5292 wrote:

eBay has acknowledged this glitch (pretending not to recognize eBay's own tracking number on eBay's label) but is not fixing it because this glitch makes money for eBay.

How does not acknowledging the glitch make more money for eBay?

This misread ^^ is concisely why we won't expound. Besides, a poster ago outlined a breakdown of how this months-old glitch makes money for eBay.

In its post at the beginning of September admitting this glitch, eBay said "for now" to have Customer Support escalate the return when the seller does not refund after delivery. This goldmine (of several mentioned in that breakdown) is why eBay is not fixing the glitch.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

How do you call ebay?  I have yet to find a phone number.  Per ebay "We’ve changed the way you get help from eBay. Our 1-866-540-3229 phone number is no longer in service, and 1-866-961-9253 is now a dedicated line for customers who may have experienced fraud on their account. If your query is not related to fraudulent activity, our experts on this line won’t be able to help you."  When you go through the suggested route, it leads back to where I put in the return information.  I used the "0" before the return number and it just does not show it has delivered.  I can put the tracking number in USPS and it shows it was delivered on 10/21.   So, I believe ebay is purposely misleading customers who are trying to return items.  I am now working with my credit card company to get this resolved since eBay kinda sucks.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

How do you call eBay?? Answer you dont. To many fake numbers out there used to scam folks.

You have then call you if you can find the link to do so under help and contact at the bottom of the page.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

You go to "help and contact" tab at the bottom of every page, including this one, click on the "contact us" and request a call back.  

Wait for ebay to call and tell the representative what's happening.  They should be able to fix it on their end.  Or they should be able to close the case in your favor.  

Extra steps, but it's what we have to do.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I really wish I had known about adding the 0 earlier. I used ebay's own tracking label for shipping back and figured since maybe I was using their own label, it wasn't accepting the tracking number.

Nope.. they said to have it shipped out by today - it's out for delivery right now to the seller, and at virtually midnight they closed my return because I did not add tracking. I would've shipped earlier but I was out of town and had to ship it back as soon as I got home.

I was hoping to return it before I left in the first place but the seller didn't respond to my return request even with 30 day free returns.

I can't find any option for a callback.  Every support page and "contact us" link only allows me to talk to the chat bot, which just sits at "Ok, let me connect you with an agent". I've tried Chrome and Firefox. I've given it 30-40 minutes but I'll continue waiting. This was a fairly expensive item so this is really frustrating (and why I'm probably a bit more impatient than I should be)

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@strikekat wrote:

I really wish I had known about adding the 0 earlier. I used ebay's own tracking label for shipping back and figured since maybe I was using their own label, it wasn't accepting the tracking number.

it's out for delivery right now to the seller, and at virtually midnight they closed my return because I did not add tracking.

This was a fairly expensive item so this is really frustrating 

If you seller does not voluntarily refund after the delivery today, file a "Credit not processed" chargeback with you card issuer, and give them that return tracking number showing the item was returned to get your refund.

Why Would a Customer File a Chargeback With Reason Code “Credit Not Processed?”
“Credit Not Processed” chargebacks are filed by customers who have returned their purchase but did not receive a refund from the merchant.

Otherwise @strikekat file a return request here instead. Go back right away to click "Escalate to PayPal" at the bottom of the dispute. When you're told to return the item, upload that tracking number to get your refund.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@bctk5292  Thanks a ton for the info!

Finally figured it out.. you just can't reach the callback page from a lot of the categories under "Contact Us".

Specifically I went  to Contact Us => Returns and Refunds => Handling Payment Disputes to see the "Have us call you" link.

Once I actually talked to a real person and gave them the tracking number, he said the case was with the appeals team and I should hear back soon. Hopefully that's actually the case, otherwise I'll have to do the PayPal dispute or talk to the bank.

I did leave the chat window open for over 3 hours and got nothing FWIW (Chrome with all ad-block/tracking protection disabled to be sure). Also messaged the seller a few hours ago and nothing yet, was gonna give them a few days to respond before I finally found that callback link 😩

Sorry to derail from the original thread issue. I hope something changes with this. I can definitely see other people running into this tracking/return closure problem and not knowing what to do or not being persistent about following up on it.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I had the same problem. Adding the 0 before the tracking number helped. eBay returns recognized the tracking number.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: