cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiencing my first (possible) return process...

Hello All,

As the title states. 

A buyer wants to return an item for personal reasons, and nothing to do with the item being defective/ damaged, etc...  All of my listings clearly state that I do not accept returns (unless notified by eBay of course) and this item's refund amount is slightly substantial: $362.89

At the time the sale was completed, through exchanged messages, the Buyer assured me of his satisfaction and that everything was sufficient, no further contact has been made since then, until today.

Something to note: This item was purchased on [ Sep 20, 2023 ] and completed/ shipped [ Sep 25, 2023 ]

Buyers concern (copied and pasted) :

"Hey how’s it going? I reaching out to see if you’d be able to take a return for an item I purchase from you? Unfortunately I can longer afford this and really need the money. If you can’t I understand. Thanks"

Now, I haven't replied just yet, because I too, am in a predicament on funds to where I literally can't refund their full amount during this time, I might be able to within a couple of weeks but who's to say this if this person could be patient until then...

Honestly, It isn't in me to leave someone hanging like that (even if it could be a false statement... still...) my integrity won't let me sleep if you catch my drift ...

Suggestions and wise advice are greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Experiencing my first (possible) return process...

@jdm_aesthetix  You are asking for advice so here goes: You need to read the TOS so you can understand what all of the policies are for this platform. This platform offers a Money Back Guarantee to all buyers. Your own no returns policy is superseded by eBay’s return policy in the TOS. Doesn't matter what the buy said when they wrote you, all the buyer has to do is open an item not as described case. Once the buyer selects INAD you will have to pay for the return shipping or eBay will deduct it from your account, regardless of what you stated in your own listing. 

The best rule of thumb for online selling has always been return for refund. This way you stand the best chance of getting the exact item you sold and in the same condition. This way you can turn around and sell it again to make up for any losses. If you make things difficult for your buyer they will retaliate, and the odds are forever in their favor. Best of luck to you....

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

What i would do:

Option 1:

Dont reply to the message. What he’s asking is absurd and breaks eBay rules.

Option 2:

Report the buyer.

Option 3: 

message the buyer and say no. I would literally reply with just “NO” and then possibly add them to your banned buyer list.

Also… he can list it and resell it on eBay too. So don’t fell bad at all.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Probably not a whole lot you can do, accepting the return without fuss would most likely ensure you get your product back in resell-able condition... The issue of course is the buyer may have used it, hard to say from where we are but ebay ties sellers hands by forcing them to accept all returns regardless of rhyme or reason/ Back before online sales the store would carry the high cost of product returns but now the top echelon have effectively passed this cost on to the sellers.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Unfortunately I can longer afford this and really need the money. If you can’t I understand.

@jdm_aesthetix 

If you feel compelled  to respond, do so truthfully as you have here... leaving out the 'within a couple of weeks' part.

You're not required  to respond until the buyer opens a Return request. That is the time to not leave it in limbo.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@jdm_aesthetix  You are asking for advice so here goes: You need to read the TOS so you can understand what all of the policies are for this platform. This platform offers a Money Back Guarantee to all buyers. Your own no returns policy is superseded by eBay’s return policy in the TOS. Doesn't matter what the buy said when they wrote you, all the buyer has to do is open an item not as described case. Once the buyer selects INAD you will have to pay for the return shipping or eBay will deduct it from your account, regardless of what you stated in your own listing. 

The best rule of thumb for online selling has always been return for refund. This way you stand the best chance of getting the exact item you sold and in the same condition. This way you can turn around and sell it again to make up for any losses. If you make things difficult for your buyer they will retaliate, and the odds are forever in their favor. Best of luck to you....

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@jdm_aesthetix @  In your case, I would not respond to the buyers message

Since you have "returns not accepted", if the buyer opens a return case and chooses a remorse reason for the return, you will be able to deny the return and that would be the end of it as far as eBay is concerned. 

But, the buyer can turn around and file a case with PayPal or their Credit Card issuer. They would stand a good chance of winning that, jfyi. And you may or may not get the item back. 

If the buyer chooses a Item Not As Described type return reason,  you will be stuck with paying the return shipping to get your item back before refunding. 

It does not matter what the buyer stated in eBay messages. 

Posting ID
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Pretty much reading the fine print that needs to be read but if not then ignorance won't be bliss...

I've got some homework to do lol. Thank you for that, I appreciate your advice.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I see where you're coming from.  The option of telling him to resell crossed my mind too, even if he posted it up for more, honestly, I wouldn't mind; both parties would end up satisfied.

Thanks man, I'll take that into consideration.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

That is true, what sucks is, that it's an item that I'd want back to resell again (it's highly wanted by Honda-Acura car enthusiasts)... anyways, I'll see how this plays out.

Thank you for your feedback! It definitely helped.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Thanks for understanding.  Hopefully, everything turns out swell with no further complications >.<

I appreciate your words. Thank you again!

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@sidezskateshop wrote:

What i would do:

Option 1:

Dont reply to the message. What he’s asking is absurd and breaks eBay rules.

What the buyer is asking does not violate eBay rules. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

As an aside, using the out of stock (OOS) option on an item is better than $77,777.77 shipping for an item that is "on hold", as local pick up is available, and someone could purchase the item.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Man... seems inevitable to avoid such calamities lol

I'll probably end up changing it later to "accept" returns, the last thing I wanna deal with is multiple "buyer errors" smh -_-

Anyways, Thank You for the perspective switch, this helped out a ton! Much appreciated.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

The OOS option removes my listing from being live; I like to have my videos shown even if the item is out of stock just for the moment, and it's so I don't lose the potential buyers/ watchers.

Yes, I've taken into consideration the shipping amount and will deal with it properly IF the item is purchased.

I'll admit though, those "7's" drew in a lot of curious buyers which in turn led to my other items being viewed. It's been working out thus far but I'll change it as soon as it stops.

Thanks for noticing it (I've been waiting until someone said something about it lol)

And for your help. I appreciate it 🙂

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

My advice that has 100% worked and protected me as a seller is as soon as you receive an email from a buyer about something like this is get on the phone with an eBay rep so they can document everything. Have them go through and read all the emails between you and the buyer and ask the rep to make notes, this helps if/when you have to contact ebay again about this issue if things progress.

How this just recently helped and covered me. I recently sold a brand new in the box string trimmer.  Buyer emails me around 2 weeks after saying there is something wrong with it but very vague, i respond back super nice asking for more info, where they respond its the starter part and they have an estimate for the fix and wanted money back. Thankfully I worded my questions in a way that they responded that they did in fact use it, there exact words were "it worked initially, not now".  My thinking is its a string trimmer, you cut grass with it, i have no idea how the buyer used it or how it broke, if it even did break. I have my suspicions they just saw it for a lower price and wanted money back, but that's purely speculation on my part(the ebay reps also agreed with me and told me so).  So after the buyer told me they used it and that it did work but now doesnt I immedialty contacted ebay, spoke with a rep on the phone, be super nice to the reps, ask them to pull up and read all the emails between you and they buyer which they can, in my case the rep say the buyer admitted when they received it it was in fact working so she said dont worry i fulfilled my ebay obligations and im covered if it escalates, she even wrote notes down for the next rep if i have to call again(actually ebay calls you back).  i kindly inform the buyer theres nothing I can do, i quoted that they said it was working. needless to say they werent happy, they wanted me to pay for a replacement part and the cost for a repair shop which actually came out to more $ than I paid for the trimmer, buyer claimed ebay has a 30 day guarantee against "faulty" items .  After that email i immediately contacted ebay again, this time the rep made it seem that i was on the hook if the buyer broke an item within 30 days and I would have to accept a return, she actually mentioned walmart and if someone bought something from walmart and it broke within 30 days they would take it back, but after i expressed my view telling her theres no way im remotely like a walmart and we went through the emails again she came around to my side and she agreed the buyer is probably trying to pull a fast one, again be super nice with the reps talk to them like they are your friend and it will go much better. So her advice was for me to kindly say since they used the item and it broke while they were using it that theres nothing I can do.  I then responded to the buyer kindly asking them to forward the written estimate and the name of the repair shop they supposedly brought it to. They didnt email back and instead opened a case and wanted a full refund. So, you guessed it i immediately contacted ebay on the phone and had that rep go through all the emails and the notes the previous reps wrote and she agreed the buyer used the item and it was working and it broke when they were using it, she said she will close the case and there will be no more action taken against me. Instead she said ebay will cover the return, which they did.  Did not cost me anything. unfortunately the buyer got the full refund and to keep the item.  This also worked when a buyer wanted to return an item claiming it was damaged, but the part was a solid metal machined part and there is no possible way it could have been damaged but I accepted the return anyways, when i recived the part back there was zero damage anywhere on it, so i took a bunch of photos and wrote back to the buyer asking if they can kindly point out what was exactly damaged, they never responded so i contacted ebay onthe phone and told them the story and had them read all the emails and they sided with me and refunded all my money and i got to keep the item, so i actually kept the money the buyer paid, got reimbursed all shipping costs and kept the item to resell again. 

I skimmed through some of the replies and some are wrong, if you fulfill your obligations then you are not on the hook. But it will take some effort, some phone calls, patience and get everything documented.  

In your case i would have called ebay immediatly after receiving that 1st email, talk to the rep on the phone not through chat, have them read the emails and see that they buyer is not claiming anything wrong with the item but instead they cant afford it which is not covered under ebay policy.  Have the rep write notes incase you have to contact them again it will be another rep.  This will cover you in case the buyer opens a case and they give a different reason, they will look dishonest.  This is where being nice to the reps come in, get them on your side and understand your not a walmart and you cannot afford even to pay for return shipping. This only works if you really are not at fault, that you did everything by the book. 

I read tons of posts from sellers saying ebay is only on the buyers side and will side with them no matter what, which is not the case. Ebay does care about sellers and dont want them ripped off. But the thing is ebay is not going to step in and help you unless you ask them to. Most of the transactions are automated, thats why talking to an actual person is needed.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: