cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers are given an extra 5 days for returns due to covid?

"We've temporarily extended our returns timelines and adjusted our eBay Money Back Guarantee policy to help you if you need to return an item during COVID-19.

You'll now have 10 business days from when a return is accepted or a shipping label is provided to you to send your item back."

Why should the long lines of potential covid carriers affect a buyer anymore than a seller with 2 day handling? If I refuse to stand in line waiting for an items to be scanned at anytime before 6 PM on the date my handling states it will be shipped and leave it on the counter with the manager and it gets scanned accepted after midnight or 3 AM before they actually open for business at 9 AM the next day, why am I not afforded a couple hours at least "grace" period for covid?  

eBay is giving buyers an extra 5 days on top of the 5 days to get it scanned and in the mail putting a hold on funds, what is that about?  So not only does it take up to 2 days for funds to be processed now depending on when a buyer pays, and another day to hit my bank, eBay holds and profits off returns by with holding that from my daily pay outs, if they are worried about not getting that money back they should add it to my monthly invoice.  And while I'm complaining, why can't the make payouts on Sat and Sun?  eBay certainly doesn't stop taking money in on a Sat or Sun?  They say they are not a bank and our funds aren't in some escrow somewhere getting interest so why should Fri and Sat Purchases not be released next day?  I have an online bank, it never shuts down, I can receive deposits even on holidays from...you know that site that starts with an M...or that other one that starts with an S?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Buyers are given an extra 5 days for returns due to covid?

@magicguynet wrote:

"You'll now have 10 business days from when a return is accepted or a shipping label is provided to you to send your item back."

eBay is giving buyers an extra 5 days on top of the 5 days to get it scanned and in the mail putting a hold on funds, what is that about?

Is this the same 10 business days already in the Spring Update ... the one from over a year ago?

9gihfghfaf9hghf09hfd09gh8fhf80sgh0fs8hf08h0fd8hgf.jpg

So how is it an extension @magicguynet when nothing was extended, like saying "free gift" when a "gift" is obviously "free" duh.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I think it is now about 3 weeks; they get 3 weeks to ship back. If they don't, ebay will then close the return in a few days after that. They will NOT close it early if you call. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@magicguynet 

Ebay gives you the option to extend your handling time.  Why complain about buyers getting an extra week?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I don't know what you want.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I don't really care when they, and from what I just read, they now "due to covid" have 10 days to print a label after return is accepted, and 5 additional days to have it scanned accepted at the post office, then shipping times before it's received back and return is closed.  I can go back and read what I typed to you, but obviously I can't understand it for you.  April 1, 2020, due to covid correct?  eBay is worried about their buyers having enough time and safety to return something, but sellers who want their TSR or TSR Plus, you are given no grace period, you have 24 or 48 hours from time of purchase, not close of business of your shipper,  to have it scanned accepted or you get a ding...and loose your TSR for several months.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

You mean eBay is more than willing to take away your discounts, promotions, item ranking, badges, shipping discounts, etc if you're afraid of covid as a seller and not have next day or 2 day shipping?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I'd like to know when as stores are opening up if this is going to be the new normal, now with MP and they can at any time withhold funds?  I've already 3 times caught them adding extra fees to my monthly invoice in the last year upwards $300, which I'm glad I don't have automatic payments set up as I don't need a dozen $30 coupons against purchases as they can't credit you back for their mistakes against your account and can't give credits over $30 each.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

A month before COVID-19:

9gfhghn90afghf09dgh9fhd0ghdfugh8dufgh08uhfu8d.jpg

During COVID-19, the temporary extension is still the same 10 business days.

@magicguynet wrote:

"We've temporarily extended our returns timelines and adjusted our eBay Money Back Guarantee policy to help you if you need to return an item during COVID-19.

You'll now have 10 business days from when a return is accepted or a shipping label is provided to you to send your item back."

Seriously eBay?? You can't fool us.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

@magicguynet 

Why complain about buyers getting an extra week?

Because you only need about 4 minutes to print a label and stick it on the porch.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

"The buyer started a return

The buyer has until May 10 to ship the item. You can either wait for the item to arrive or issue a refund. If you issue a refund now, this return will be closed and you shouldn't expect to receive the item back.  

This return has been approved automatically, per the eBay returns policy.  

If the buyer doesn't send the item back by May 10, we may close the return. "

I am when I wake up requesting eBay to call me back, nothing in their wording states the buyer has printed a label and deserves another 5 days to hold up this return, also being a SNAD, I measure things flat and not stretched...I'd have fought this regardless being a simple buyers remorse, report him to safety and security for misusing returns, trying to force me to pay return shipping when I offer free 30 day free returns regardless, messaging before opening a return about a refund not going through the process.  So tomorrow, the buyer has until May 10th to ship, "until" isn't by which they use later, however with an if, and this is all I wanted.  This buyer expected to get a refund making a claim and keep the item.  They have until midnight to print a label, if they don't have a label which a prepaid label with tracking doesn't prove printed, not scanned by Sat the last business day of the 10 day cycle to have it scanned accepted.  I'm calling and making ebay stick to their own policy, there is no "may" close the return.  1st person I speak to if they say well they have until tomorrow, then I'm asking to be transferred to trust and safety, the buyer is misusing returns trying to force me to pay for his return by filling a not as described when I offer free returns regardless.  They will tell me I have to do it through the website, which there is no way to report someone for misusing returns to force a seller to pay return shipping.  For those of you who don't know... google Can I dispute paying for return shipping as below

Can I dispute paying for return shipping if I feel a buyer is misusing returns?

You can ask eBay to step in and help if you feel the buyer has misrepresented the reason for the return. eBay will review your request and take appropriate action. Remember, when you ask eBay to step in and help without successfully resolving the issue directly with your buyer and eBay finds on behalf of the buyer, it will result in a defect.

You have a 50/50 **bleep** shoot talking to a CSR who doesn't know this policy, if you feel they are "trying to tell you their idea of how eBay works" hang up and speak with someone else.  I've had over 20 yrs probably 14 CRS's supposedly sent for "retraining".  It's better not to get into an argument unless you yourself are recording it.  Hang up and speak with someone else, and tell them, if you don't know policy, I'll message it to a another seller I know who's a friend who also knows eBay policy, and you can read "our" messages and go to the link on eBay's website and familiarize yourself with eBay policy.

Oh and I'm not waiting up until like the old days 1:01 EST which is 1 past midnight wherever based where I am eBay considers it tomorrow to have this case closed like 3 yrs ago.  Oh and if you get someone who doesn't know what your talking about and you can barely understand them...ask them if you can put them on a no more than 2 minute hold...you'll quickly get transferred up the chain.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Random 3 to comment:

1. Because you offer free returns, you're paying for the return label whether the buyer is morose or a SNAD, the reason does not matter since it's free returns.

1. eBay "may" (won't) close the return after 10 business days because there's not proof yet that the return label has not been scanned, since USPS may not update tracking showing that scan for quite awhile, hence the 5 additional business days to "ensure the scans have been captured" and killed.

1. The buyer is not required to print the return label: Instead, they can buy their own, then provide the tracking number at the end of the 15 business days, long after it was already delivered to your zip code within the first 10 business days, and when eBay sees that the refund is long overdue, eBay instantly forces the refund.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: