cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to return a used Apple laptop after using it for a month and modifying it.

Last month I sold my used Apple MacBook Pro on eBay. I'm a long-time eBay seller and also a high-level Apple user who has used Apple gear for years. I always maintain my things meticulously. This laptop was a 2019 model (cost more than $4K when new) and was in excellent condition in all respects. I wiped the system and shipped the item with a clean install of the latest operating system so the laptop could be set up as new right out of there box. The auction description made it clear that the laptop was in perfect working order with no issues, but that there was no warranty and that no returns would be accepted.

The item sold and was delivered to the buyer on November 21st. I thought all was well until the buyer popped up on December 18th telling me that he's now having problems with it. He reconfigured the partition of the SSD and has reinstalled the operating system to a previous version. And how the computer is crashing and giving him kernel panics. He said he wanted to let me know about this as it is still "within the 30 days."

I responded as soon as I got his message and told him, sincerely, that I'm very sorry to hear he's having issues with the laptop but that I'm not sure what he expects my role in this is at this point. He received the laptop, has used it for almost a month, has modified the SSD and OS. He's a total stranger to me and I don't know what he has done to this machine and how he has maintained it in the time he's had it. From the sound of his message I think his thinking is that he would just return it to be now for a full refund. I sent him a laptop that was working perfectly. He wants to use it for four weeks, make changes to it, and then return it to be broken for a refund.

Am I wrong thinking that I've acted in good faith and that this seller seems unreasonable? Of course, my fear is that eBay might be heavy handed and give this guy his money back, expecting me to eat the loss. I've been an eBay seller for almost two decades and I work really hard for my 100% feedback rating, sometimes having to deal with unreasonable people who perhaps should stick to buying new merchandise from billion dollar corporations, instead of buying used items at a huge discount from private sellers. 

I just wanted to throw this out there to see how others would respond in this situation. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Buyer wants to return a used Apple laptop after using it for a month and modifying it.

Wrong advice by @albertabrightalberta  as usual 

When there is no such thing as guarantee for Used Laptops as Industry Standard, fighting this return is piece of cake, no matter who's being engaged in such fight 

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Re: Buyer wants to return a used Apple laptop after using it for a month and modifying it.

@santamonicajeweler wrote:

@monster-deals No fighting there. Seller must show Amex

a) He had a " No Return" policy

b) On  top, there was an unused  30 day eBay Money Back Guarantee coverage, Buyer failed to use 

If Amex wouldn't accept that and debit Seller to pay Buyer, I would take Amex to Small Claims Court for not pursuing industry standards and act in prejudice. No judge will side with Amex. It wouldn't even get there and Amex will pay Seller in advance of court date

Pointless. Seller doesn't show anyone anything, it is ebay that does that.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@monster-deals I think you're lost in conversation. We're at point of after eBay and dealing with CC companies for their coverage ... That's where I am!

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

@santamonicajeweler wrote:

@monster-deals I think you're lost in conversation. We're at point of after eBay and dealing with CC companies for their coverage ... That's where I am!

Nope.

Pointless.

Unless you are flying to Delaware, filing in small claims there, flying home, flying back for your date, winning no dollars and then flying home.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Try it, it's not that hard. Amex is a global corporation seving clients with offices in all major cities. Like eBay, it has presence in all states. You wouldn't need to fly to their headquarters to fight them off 

Give it s shut once, then you know! 

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Call ebay immediately and GET A Service Request number- go to trust and safety and show them the email that he sent you saying he modified it. It is now not in the same condition sent and you need to fight to document this before he starts a return-then you can refer to the sr # telling them about this before he opened a case, I would also hit report a buyer and note the time you did it. Take notes, keep the guy talking and keep calling "Trust and safety" until this is closed. Then wait for the chargeback and do the same thing. best i can tell you.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

@madmax69trojan I've tried it before. No solution will be given. Once at the end, Sellers will be stranded 

Return has started already on 28th day. However, there are other developments as OP explained 

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

I'm going thru the same situation and just to talked to 2 ebay representatives about what to do.

Since the item was sent brand new and the buyer has used it, it's no longer brand new so you can decline the return. As ebay return policy states that it needs to be returned in it's original state, unopened, unused...if a seal was broken to open the original box, it's now not brand new in box. 

Basically, a return for buyer's remorse gives you the option to offer refund or decline. Also, the ebay reps warned me about offering a partial return, as that can get complicated. 

Hope this helps someone in the future. 

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

I don't know who you talked to but you will most likely lose once eBay has been asked to step in.

BTW this thread is very OLD.

I'm sure a mod will be here shortly to close it.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: