cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An idea whose time has come?

A brief almost throwaway posting in today’s newspaper mentioned that some very prominent retailers who previously offered free returns on items bought online are now charging return fees. Not a “restocking” fee which is usually a percentage of the sale. They are charging a flat fee which seems to be in the $8.00 range.

I did a Google search for “retail store return charges” to flesh it out. This is just one of the MANY articles with additional information.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article269224532.html

Of particular interest was the problem of people buying several different clothing items, trying them on to pick the one(s) they like and sending back the rest. Many prominent stores were mention. Amazon was mentioned in passing, eBay was not.

But clearly the attitude about free returns is changing. Whether or not, if ever, it gets to eBay is an open question. But it is turning.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Unfortunately too many people ruined it for everybody. I would agree that merchants shouldn't have to "eat" a buyer's mistake and/or negligence.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

Any idea whose time has come?

No, no idea. Who is it?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

There is no "Any" in the title it is "An". 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

But clearly the attitude about free returns is changing. Whether or not, if ever, it gets to eBay is an open question. But it is turning. 

Then in the same way there is a flood of free returns, there will be a flood of no-return chargebacks.

With the same integrity that consumers will try many to return most, the same purchaser is not deterred to chargeback. Retailers abound, the buyer has 10 or more credit cards, and if either blacklists, the buyer simply moves on to the next retailer or competing-for-your-business credit card.

If it's not already plainly evident, return fees will go the way of the restocking fees.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@xadexane wrote:

@richard1rst wrote:

Then in the same way there is a flood of free returns, there will be a flood of no-return chargebacks.

With the same integrity that consumers will try many to return most, the same purchaser is not deterred to chargeback. Retailers abound, the buyer has 10 or more credit cards, and if either blacklists, the buyer simply moves on to the next retailer or competing-for-your-business credit card.

If it's not already plainly evident, return fees will go the way of the restocking fees.

Well, first we are talking about prominent independent retailers not your basic Mom and Pop stores. And I would guess that most major retailers have their own credit cards over which they can control chargebacks. Or at the very least they have influences with banks that you and I do not when it come to chargebacks.

Aside from that however, if a major retailer makes returns a hassle to the point that the buyer simply moves on to the next retailer” that is exactly what the retailer would want. Driving away a troublesome retail buyer is no different than adding them to eBay's Blocked Buyer List. Now they are someone else's problem.

It costs retailers a significant amount of money, time and labor to clean, possibly repack or retag, and restock returns. And if comes back in less than salable condition then it goes in the closeout bin to be sold for pennies on the dollar. All of that is a financial loss to the store.

If adding a return fee eliminates the troublesome buyer and drives that buyer to a different store than I would suggest that return fees will increase, not vanish. The same way that eBay's Blocked Buyer List is not going to disappear.

It is easy to assume that stores exist to makes sales because that is what is publicly stressed. That is not why stores exist. They exist to make PROFIT all of which the above bites into.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I can say from firsthand knowledge that a large portion of returned items to larger retailers go straight into a dumpster, and the retailer is sometimes reimbursed, sometimes not, depending on manufacturer. Made my head spin to see the waste... 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

To tag on... I've heard of retailers refunding without returns, as the labor charges to handle them exceed the value.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

It would be mind blowing to realize the staggering amount of losses taken. Luckily, volume fills the gaps quite often, but... Wow.

On a smaller scale, I could well understand why sellers here would welcome some sort of recompensation as well. Its only fair.

Sure... Buyers will carp and gripe, but would they like something broken or stolen from their house and then be asked to " eat" it?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

It is mind blowing. And we all pay for this behavior in higher prices.

Would anybody like having something stolen (broken does not go anywhere if it happens in your home) and then be asked to "eat" it? Better check your insurance coverage.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: