cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly Community Chat, July 19th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community, 

Please join us here for our weekly Community chat at 1 pm Pacific on Wednesday 7/19. There isn't a set topic this week so feel free to ask us your eBay buying & selling questions. 

Talk to you then!

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 118
latest reply
117 REPLIES 117

Re: Weekly Community Chat, July 19th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dhbookds wrote:

Relative to the Immediate Payment required by Ebay on items less than $1000.......has that rolled out completely now.......so we can remove our seller IPR to enable the cart "ask for invoice", if we want? 

This has not yet rolled out to 100% of sellers. You could test out your listings with a friend or collegue to see if those without immediate payment required by yourself are being pushed into this automatically. If so, then you are a part of the test and could uncheck the IPR box when listing for eligible items.

Message 16 of 118
latest reply

@critter_mama_2007 wrote:

Since June 26, stock photos from ebays media catalog have not been able to be uploaded using turbo lister.  Does ebay plan to repair this or was it a planned disruption to encourage the disuse of turbo lister by sellers?  When I called customer service they said they had received many calls about this problem.

Based on eBay's announcement regarding future maintenance of TL. Everything done would be basic. I don't think they'll fix that one.

Message 17 of 118
latest reply

I'm trying once again to get a response to my question regarding what appears to be a new mandatory setting of the Immediate Payment Required flag for BuyItNow items.

I understand its benefits, especially for newbie sellers with high-scam items, but why can't it be implemented as an option whose default setting is On? That way it can still benefit newbie sellers who may not even realize it's there, while still allowing experienced sellers to waive it or turn it off for listings where doing so will help them, such as when offering items often purchased in groups or quantities from separate listings.

We already have more than enough anecdotal evidence that the required IPR setting is a major hindrance in those situations. Why must it be welded in place with no option for the seller to suspend it for selected items?

Message 18 of 118
latest reply

@timemachine777 wrote:

I believe it is long past due about having a major community discussion about revamping the Community Guidelines as they are very Draconian, and many of the individual rules are ambiguous and vague at the least. We as a community are affected by these rules that have little interpretation. And any appeal process is pretty well none exist.

So too protect members there should be checks and balances, or some measure of a stop gap, to prevent over reach and an abuse of power. These rules have shed the boards of many good members in the past, and just sends them to post on private forums about eBay issues and out of the reach of any retaliation due too their unwelcome views by a few.

Posting accounts should not be able to be severed due to minor back and forth squabbling, baiting into and argument, joking around, etc. They should be only for severe offenses. Like blatant none stop stalking of members, disgusting and filthy posts that are blatantly vile and vulgar in a more extreme context. An not from a basically tasteless and or contentious position.

Because, if the latter were truly the rule of thumb here, then I could cite close to a 1000 recent posts over the last couple of months that would qualify for removal, and board banning. It just seems that all is not equal when these ambiguous rules are applied or executed. There needs to some form of semblance.

Great examples of Ambiguity and Draconian measures:

4. Be respectful. Content that is harmful, hostile, threatening, abusive, baiting, vulgar, defamatory, harassing, or includes hate or racist speech, name calling or profanity will be edited or removed. Read more about our Profanity policy here; information on our Threats of Bodily Harm policy is available here.

7. No naming and shaming. We will not tolerate posting about listing or member violations. Item numbers, auction links, negative/neutral feedback scores, other members ID or contact information posted for the purpose of shaming another member will be edited or removed. Read more about this policy here. (Note: The wrong link is embedded here. The link is in relation to "contact info".) http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/identity-contact.html

10. Do not discuss or post about moderation actions. Discussion of moderation actions, reposting of deleted posts or discussion of suspended or no longer registered members. It is not permitted to discuss or repost removed content. It is inappropriate to talk about others who are suspended from the community or eBay.

These are the primary topics though the other rules have issues within their group also. I just wanted to highlight the ones that affect the most posts here. If all these rules were enforced equally on these boards. There wouldn't be any members left to post. We'd all be banned forever in less than a month, as the violations would stack up in a good day of posting here, or one good argument,which happens all the time.

There really is no definition as too how any of rules even apply to the context of a typical post. Nothing is defined. Example: Content that is baiting...Define baiting. Same with harmful, hostile, threatening, abusive, vulgar, defamatory, harassing.There are all levels of these examples from minor to extreme that are passed over in loads of posts, by both members and mods, without a care less. Is what defines which terms violate the rules and in what context?

We need to remove the draconian heavy handedness elements of these rules and the ambiguity surrounding the implementation rules and punishment and the terms themselves. I can't even find a reference as to the time frames for each ban in succession.

If a new member or one just not familiar with site gets banned they can't even access the guidelines in the link provided within the ban, nor the announcements pages, which everyone should have 24/7 access too, regardless of being currently banned from posting. The announcements can effect members business choices at the moment of release, and should have no connection with board usage.

Hi @timemachine777

We completely rewrote our guidelines in October 2016; there are no current plans to rewrite them again. 

I wouldn't agree that they're "draconian." We have thousands of active users in our Community each day who do not experience post removal or moderator action.

Our team has a duty to keep all users in the Community safe, and posters in the Community have a duty to ensure that they adhere to our usage guidelines when posting. 

The eBay Community Team regularly meets with the Lithium moderation team to review all moderation action taken. 

We do not enjoy moderating, but having a safe and enjoyable environment is very important to us. 

If you ever have concerns with moderation action taken on your ID, you can contact me via Private Message, and I will personally review the situation. 

Thanks. 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 19 of 118
latest reply

Hi @vrykalak, here's the link to your eBay profile:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/vrykalak

@vrykalak wrote:

My ISP is going to build a Facebook page for my e-commerce activities. They said they could link it to my eBay ID...Just needed a URL for that. What would that be?

Message 20 of 118
latest reply

@gaugewireandcable wrote:

Does eBay plan to get ahold of images that violate policy? I've reported the same seller for 5 years for images with borders and text like free shipping and images of American flag. I believe it's search and browse manipulation but no matter how many time I report it nothing happens so I'm hard pressed as to why I should follow the rules while my competition has an unfettered advantage? If you look in a category like cell phone covers you'll see every other listing with an image violation, they aren't hard to find. So does eBay have an active policy to find and stop this? Even when reported it takes a back seat to other seller violations so I'm just frustrated and hope you could shed some light on this. 

Hi @gaugewireandcable - we do have a photo policy (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/picture.html) that does not allow  for user added text, borders, etc and want to hear about those that you find that aren't in line with the policies. I'll reach out to you directly for a  few examples that I can review to see what I can find out. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 21 of 118
latest reply

Why does eBay want to discourage multiple purchases from a single seller by imposing IPR on items valued under $1000?

As a buyer, I specifically look for opportunities to add 2 to 25 items to the shopping cart and then request a total from the seller.  If I have to pay for each item separately and pay full shipping, I will stop buying on eBay.  Keep in mind that these are individual listings (auctions and fixed-price), not a single multi-quantity FP listing.

Also keep in mind that sellers with a variety of merchandise -- ranging from a few ounces to 5 lbs. or more -- cannot establish a generic add-on rule for combination orders.  Each order must be custom-quoted based on weight, size, class of mail and compatibility to a specific destination.

As a seller, I encourage buyers to add 2 or more items to the shopping cart and request a revised invoice.  When buyers cannot do so, I lose business.

Does eBay really want to chase away buyers and send sellers to other shopping sites?  It certainly seems so!

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 22 of 118
latest reply

@gaugewireandcable wrote:

Does eBay plan to get ahold of images that violate policy? I've reported the same seller for 5 years for images with borders and text like free shipping and images of American flag. I believe it's search and browse manipulation but no matter how many time I report it nothing happens so I'm hard pressed as to why I should follow the rules while my competition has an unfettered advantage? If you look in a category like cell phone covers you'll see every other listing with an image violation, they aren't hard to find. So does eBay have an active policy to find and stop this? Even when reported it takes a back seat to other seller violations so I'm just frustrated and hope you could shed some light on this. 

What's wrong with an image of the American flag?

Message 23 of 118
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Just for your information, the link on Seller Central goes to last week's chat. 

Thanks, just looked into it and it's linking here. Is it the post on Selling or on the PowerSeller board? 

Message 24 of 118
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

Relative to the Immediate Payment required by Ebay on items less than $1000.......has that rolled out completely now.......so we can remove our seller IPR to enable the cart "ask for invoice", if we want? 

This has not yet rolled out to 100% of sellers. You could test out your listings with a friend or collegue to see if those without immediate payment required by yourself are being pushed into this automatically. If so, then you are a part of the test and could uncheck the IPR box when listing for eligible items.

Oh PLEASE put my name on the list of objecting to the forced use of IPR.  If I want to use it I have the option to use it.  Why FORCE sellers to use a function that is currently optional?  It is NOT in the best interest of buyer & sellers alike.  

If Ebay is firm in its belief that it will cut down on NPBs, then do an educational campaign with sellers for the few that may not understand what IPR is.  But for most sellers we know what it is and what it can bring to the table.  I use IPR on a lot of my listings and not at all on others.  It is NOT a good function for many different types of items being sold.  

Why doesn't Ebay feel we are smart enough to figure out for ourselves if we should have IPR or not?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 25 of 118
latest reply

Hi @gracieallen01, each weekly community chat is its own discussion board, so posts in the weekly chat can be considered replies, or posts, depending on preference.

Thanks!

@gracieallen01 wrote:

alan@ebay wrote:

Thanks for joining us today - the thread is now open for replies! 

Replies?

Message 26 of 118
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

Hi @timemachine777

We completely rewrote our guidelines in October 2016; there are no current plans to rewrite them again. 

I wouldn't agree that they're "draconian." We have thousands of active users in our Community each day who do not experience post removal or moderator action.

Our team has a duty to keep all users in the Community safe, and posters in the Community have a duty to ensure that they adhere to our usage guidelines when posting. 

The eBay Community Team regularly meets with the Lithium moderation team to review all moderation action taken. 

We do not enjoy moderating, but having a safe and enjoyable environment is very important to us. 

If you ever have concerns with moderation action taken on your ID, you can contact me via Private Message, and I will personally review the situation. 

Thanks. 

I would note that subjectivity has been seen as a factor in the moderation of messages, it seems some messages get removed when they were simply stating fact, but other extremely toxic and hostile messages were allowed to stay, for reasons unbeknownst to myself.

This might be where the word "draconian" came from in regards to how some of the policies work.

Bigmotormania
Message 27 of 118
latest reply

to see if those without immediate payment required by yourself are being pushed into this automatically. If so, then you are a part of the test and could uncheck the IPR box when listing for eligible items.

If a seller does not choose the IPR, and it is determined by the procedure you suggested that ebay IS requiring the IPR,  there is no IPR box to check to get rid of "pushed in automatically".   

Message 28 of 118
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

I'm trying once again to get a response to my question regarding what appears to be a new mandatory setting of the Immediate Payment Required flag for BuyItNow items.

I understand its benefits, especially for newbie sellers with high-scam items, but why can't it be implemented as an option whose default setting is On? That way it can still benefit newbie sellers who may not even realize it's there, while still allowing experienced sellers to waive it or turn it off for listings where doing so will help them, such as when offering items often purchased in groups or quantities from separate listings.

We already have more than enough anecdotal evidence that the required IPR setting is a major hindrance in those situations. Why must it be welded in place with no option for the seller to suspend it for selected items?

Perhaps, it is because ebay doesn't want it to work that way.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 29 of 118
latest reply

The amount of old topics being revived is extremely high.  

Maybe if the search and start a topic areas were reversed?  or simply the Start a Discussion button needs to be in a more prominent area.   I'm thinking many of the new members to the community don't realize it's a search bar.  It doesn't say Search. 

I'm sure some of the original posters for old threads are perplexed and possibly put off by the emails telling them they received a reply to their posts. 

I know it's frustrating to me as an active answerer.  The new poster on an old thread might not get an answer because their post is lost at the bottom, and the responders are often responding to the OP.

Message 30 of 118
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: