cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly Community Chat, July 12th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good day Community!

Please join the Community team this afternoon at 1 PM Pacific Time for our weekly chat. No specific topic is set for this week, so feel free to bring your general questions for discussion.

See you then!

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

@Anonymous wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

Relative to scam messages, I'm a bit confused as to what should be done........

We get a message....."I'll pay you x amt over your asking price, just send me your pp address, etc"........

That may or may not garner the ebay bot message warning not to take a transaction off ebay.

As I understand it, we are supposed to answer, in the bot event, that we will not take the transaction off ebay........but what do we do if not caught by a bot? 

To be clear, there is no transaction/no purchase/no payment..........

Thanks

I wanted to start out by saying that responding to these kinds of offers to confirm that you will keep your sales on eBay is the best course of action should we have concerns of an off eBay sale. If you do not receive any kind of warning message from our automated filters and are looking to make sure it is reported, you can reach out to customer service to have it reviewed. Our goal is to have our filters catch any instances of off eBay sales requests, and by touching base with a customer service agent we can ensure this is not only actioned appropriately, but looked into in detail to see why it was missed by our automated process.

I have a question about that (sorry for my ignorance), but I've received warning messages.  Does the buyer also receive them?  I've had buyers want to pick an item up, giving contact info ... some don't seem to understand that I can't respond back/contact them directly.  Just wondering, do buyer's get a red box warning?

Message 46 of 68
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
A couple years ago ebay was telling us the stores design team was working on more changes...."stay tuned."

I've stayed tuned, but haven't seen any changes.

Is there anything in the works?

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! I've also been tuned in for a while now and haven't seen much coming down that's buyer/design facing. The introduction of the Promotions Manager and integration with Promoted Listings have probably been the most recent changes, but those are mostly 'behind the scenes' from buyers. 

Anything you'd like to see in particular/wishlist items from a design layout that we can pitch? 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 47 of 68
latest reply

I know that time is valuable when running a business and can suggest that you check out our eBay For Business Facebook page. This page goes hand in hand with our eBay For Business blogs and is a great resource for sellers. Visit: www.eBay.com/eBayForBusiness to get in touch with our dedicated support team on this page when you have concerns and are limited on time. You can send a private message directly to the page and then focus on other tasks while waiting for a response.

I get a "something wrong" with that link..........but beyond that, like others, hate facebook and wish there was a way ON ebay to handle this easily.......but thanks for the info.......

Message 48 of 68
latest reply

What, if anything, is actually being done about duplicate listings?

I'm not talking about the accidental hitting the "List item" button twice and having a literal duplicate. 

I'm talking about the sellers who use stock photos and change/add/subtract a single letter/number (not part #) in the title so it's not technically a duplicate.

And then, of course, there are the usual sellers from China.......

No, I do not have examples of these at my finger tips.  Yes, it is happening.  Yes, we've complained reported.

~Melody R

Message 49 of 68
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@golfingaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@golfingaddict wrote:

Hi Alan, Trinton, Heidi, Doug, Brian, Tyler and all.

I have a question about the new push that is trying to spot "off ebay transactions" in email.

I frequently get "offers" from potential buyers that ask for a price/combination of something similar to what I am selling.  Some of the offers are quite pushy and many of them end with 'send me an invoice'

Of course, I am not about to endanger my selling account on ebay by accepting these things or sending an invoice but I am curious about one thing.  In the past, it was not allowed to send ebay sellers "best offers" unless best offer is listed in the listing.   Now it seems that I get them all the time.  Frankly, if I wanted to accept offers, I would add that to my listing.  (please no speeches about increasing sales or velocity by accepting offers)  I do not want to entertain offers and I do not want to fend off these requests and in particular I do not want to be accused of doing something untoward.  Asking me to send an invoice certainly fits the bill of wrongdoing by the buyer, in my opinion and could actually be used as a set up by ebay or a competitor.

I do not want accusatory emails by big brother ebay that picks up these attempts, particulary since they are coming from the buyers and not by me.  I also do not want these attempts at "best offers" when I do not have it listed in my ads.

I hate to ignore these emails but I also do not want to get in hot water from the "bots" or get warnings that I am doing something wrong.

what do you think?

What is the process that ebay is using to deter buyers from these types of offers

Hey @golfingaddict happy to give you some direction on how to address these requests. I think that the best option is to work up a template response to reply to these requests. Thank them for their interest and explain that while you are unable to accept their offer, you do hope they find something in your listings that meets their needs. It can be short and polite and ensure that you are not spending an excessive amount of time on offers you are not interested in. 

Additionally, you can set up your listings to automatically decline any best offer under a certain price. This will help minimize any offers you would not take into consideration.

Any time that either party say something that could potentially be a request to take a transaction off of eBay, both parties will be educated about our stance on this. We take this matter very seriously, so I understand the message can come across stern. Rest assured, as long as you are not selling or buying items off of the site, you will have nothing to worry about and these messages can be passed over. As a best practice, I do recommend that you reply to any requests that a buyer makes, and particularly respond to the requests that could be considered solicitations of off site sales. This will ensure we can see you refused the request if a review is needed.

Trinton, I'm sorry, but did you really read my post?  

I do not have best offer enabled, therefore there is nothing to set up to auto decline.

And quite frankly, it is insulting to think that I need a warning from ebay because some (non) buyer makes an offer to "take it off ebay"

I do not need to be educated about emailing buyers, I need this practice to stop.

Accusing me of wrongdoing because a buyer makes an offer to take it off ebay is ludicrous.  Typical.....  always blaming the seller for anyting that goes wrong.

Sorry I asked.

I apologize for my misunderstanding and want to try to address these concerns more directly. I appreciate your feedback about how these emails come across and will make sure this sentiment is shared with the appropriate teams. It is a subject that we want to take extra care to address when there may be concerns and while you I know that you are not asking to take these transactions off the site, we do reach out to both parties to reiterate our stance on this. We would not be blaming you, only making sure that our position on this is clear to everyone involved. You would not have any negative repercussions if you did not take any action that violated our policies.

Also, I am sorry I did not respond to the last question in your original post about what we are doing to deter buyers from making these requests. When we identify an off eBay sale has been requested, we investigate and take appropriate action. While the action taken will vary depending on the violation, it can include a restriction or permanent loss of buying priveleges. If there is ever a time you receive a request like this that you feel was not caught by our automated filters and should be reviewed in more detail, you can touch base with our customer service team to have this investigated. We'll investigate for appropriate action and work to improve our filters if something was missed!

I hope this more fully addresses your concerns and I apologize again I misread your first post.

Message 50 of 68
latest reply

Last week I asked about finding a record of my offers sent via the offer option on emails for a buyer on a listing that isn't set up for offers.  The example you offered to show me where to find offers was on a listing that accepts offers.   I may have neglected to mention I've only used the email offer for listings that are not set up to accept offers the normal way.

Does that also show up on listings not accepting offers because I've never seen it before?  Those are the offers I can't seem to find after making them.

Message 51 of 68
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@\As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, if you have questions during the week you can tag our team by @mentioning us in posts. You do not need to hold questions for Wednesday. 

Thanks for the info. 
Alas, I don't know how or where to "@mention" you on a post. ?

Message 52 of 68
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
Thanks Trinton. Here's the last line from the page you linked. Can you tell me where I can find that useful tool?:

As part of the View Item description summary feature, eBay will also release a tool that will allow sellers to preview the customized item description and to tweak/edit the text/HTML between the <span> tags before actually publishing the listing.

The tool referenced is not yet available, but keep an eye out for news in the future!

Message 53 of 68
latest reply

@Anonymous

The error message is "Something went wrong. We're sorry." when trying to access the page www.eBay.com/eBayForBusiness .  I suspect the url is wrong.

But seriously.  The phone wait can be quite lengthy - and you want us to go to a Facebook page for help?  Nope, that is NOT helpful, sorry.

~Melody R

Message 54 of 68
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@llllady wrote:

Greetings.

What did you do with Bob?  Did you lock him in a closet somewhere?  🙂

Seriously...is having a store one of the criteria eBay uses in determining higher or lower search placement?

Hi @llllady - having a store subscription doesn't impact your place in Best Match. If you do have a store, you can increase your visibility with Google Shopping by making sure your search engine keywords are updated! 

Is eBay now paying Google for adwords and Google Keyword Planner?

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 55 of 68
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

Yesterday while searching for a craft kit I clicked on a listing and saw a whole bunch of other sellers items all over the page in boxes for the same or other craft kits.  It was a visual kaleidoscope of confusion.  I backed out of the listing right away.   There were so many items displayed it was difficult to tell which was the item I actually clicked to read the description.  

Is this a test?   And if it is will this type of multi-seller catalog pages be the norm for the holiday selling season? 

Hi @b86fiero - it sounds as though you may have stumbled on a 'product page', did it look like the screen cap below? If so, that's the experience that most things will move to in the future, with the idea of a buyer finding a general place for their items and being able to go through a simpler refinement process to get to the items they're looking for. If you saw something different will you let us know/post a screenshot? Thanks!

Capture.JPG

Tyler,
eBay
Message 56 of 68
latest reply

trinton,I imagine ,given that this was part of the Spring 2016 Seller Release, that will be any day now. ...
Message 57 of 68
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

alan@ebay wrote:

@\As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, if you have questions during the week you can tag our team by @mentioning us in posts. You do not need to hold questions for Wednesday. 

Thanks for the info. 
Alas, I don't know how or where to "@mention" you on a post. ?

Thanks for calling this out. We'll post info on the Community about how to use the feature.

Here’s how it works 

Let’s say you want to thank a user (Admirkind) for his great answer to a question you asked. Using the Rich Text editor, enter his user name, preceded by an "at" symbol (@). In this example, you enter “@admirkind”. As you type, a pop-up menu appears with matching names. You can either continue typing the name or select a name from the list. 

mentions_user_list.png

When you do this, the user you tag receives a notification that they've been mentioned. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 58 of 68
latest reply

Ebay needs to be very careful about how they insult their sellers because a buyer breaks a rule.

It's ridiculous to receive a "warning" shot because someone else broke a rule.

I have 19 years of selling on this site, I do not need to be chastised because a newbie doesn't know any better.  I'm not about to risk my status for saving a few pennies.

But only on ebay... I get a slap because the newbie asked.

hmmm....

Message 59 of 68
latest reply

Thanks to everyone for joining us today - the thread is now locked. 

FYI - I've just heard eBay Open is about to sell out, so if you're on the fence about going, NOW is the time to sign up. 

The Community Team will be at Open and we're excited to meet as many of the Community platform users as we can. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 60 of 68
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: