cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, September 18 @ 1:00 pm PT - Promoted Listings

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Join the Community team here at 1 PM PT on September 18th for our Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. The Promoted Listings team will be joining us to address any questions or feedback you have related to this tool.

The chat will be open for questions from 1-2 pm PT, at which point we'll close thread. While no additional questions can be submitted after this time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that may still be unanswered.

If you're new to the chat, welcome! Simply Reply to this post with your question from 1-2 PM Pacific Time and we'll be happy to look into it for you slight smile

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Community Chat, September 18 @ 1:00 pm PT - Promoted Listings

Thank you all for joining us today. We've closed the chat as the hour is up. We'll work through any unanswered questions. Make sure you're subscribed to this thread to receive notice of new replies. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
How granular is the trending rate?

What I mean is, let's say I'm listing a rare brooch in jewelry. Do you just look at the jewelry category generally? Do you look at sub category within jewelry (such as fine jewelry, disregarding costume jewelry), or do you go so far as to look at fine jewelry> brooches, and maybe even a designer name?

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques  - We start by looking at the most granular category level for the listing, but if there isn't a sufficient amount of data within that sub-category, then we will look at the next level up.

Cheers

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@kritlove wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

"Ad rate is one factor that is considered for Promoted Listings placement, but is not the only factor. Other factors include listing quality, relevancy, and more. Optimizing your listings for Best Match remains an important best practice. High quality listings have a higher potential to get more clicks and ultimately more sales.

With this change, if your organic listing naturally ranks higher, your Promoted Listing won’t appear in search, but can still be shown across other promoted placements onsite. Conversely, if your promoted listing ranks higher, your organic listing will no longer appear in the same set of search results."

With all other things being equal, a seller's promoted listing will always rank higher than their organic search result because of the added fee. How would a seller's organic search result to be chosen over their sponsored result? Does that only happen if another seller of a similarly ranked listing chooses a higher ad rate?

It is not necessarily the case that the promoted listing will always rank higher, as we will show the organic listing if that ranks above the promoted listing.  Given the fixed slots of promoted listings on search results page, the organic listing may have the opportunity to rank higher.   It is also possible that the seller has different promoted listing and organic listing in the search results.   

1. How is it possible for the organic listing to rank higher than the promoted listing All aspects of the listing are exactly the same except one has an ad rate and one doesn't.

2. How do the fixed slots on the search results page affect an organic listing's placement?

3. What does this mean: " It is also possible that the seller has different promoted listing and organic listing in the search results."? I thought eBay was making a change to display only one or the other, not both.

The value behind Promoted Listings is that the program helps boost your items’ visibility by showing them in prominent places on eBay, including search results and product detail pages. The important measure here is the boost your promoted listing will get. Given a search query and our Best Match ranking, if your listing will not see a boost, we will show your organic listing. Results are highly dynamic and responsive to buyer searches, so your promoted listing boost will change frequently. Keep in mind, your promoted listing will still compete for other placements within the buyer journey, so you may still get a boost on other pages.

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

@roadking5555 wrote:

I  have brought this up in the weekly chat since 6-12, at least 3 different times and the last update was in the August chat that the promoted listings team was aware of the issue.

Now that we have the team here in chat, is there any progress or solution?

Recap below,

wondering if I someone can enlighten me with what has been going on with searches in the last week or so.( this was on 6-12 chat)

I have noticed on all my saved searches that the sponsored listings are coming up first. I have saved searches for auctions, ending soonest and I am seeing sponsored BIN listings that have over 20+ days left. Nothing to do with my search parameters.

I have even tried setting up new searches (with the same parameters) and same results. I do not want to see BIN's with over 20 days left, when I am looking at auctions, ending soonest. So now I have to scroll down to what I want to look for.

why am I seeing sponsored (promoted) listings that are not in line with my search results?

Is any progress being made on the "sponsored/promoted listings" showing up in searches.? Thanks!

@roadking5555 wrote:
tyler@ebay wrote:

Welcome everyone - the chat is now open for your questions!

I am following up from the previous two weekly chats on the sponsored (promoted) listings that show up in my search results that have nothing to do with my search parameters. The problem remains.

Is there any update or progress being made on this? I know it was forwarded to the appropriate team via Brain T. on 6-12-2019.

Thanks!

Hi @roadking5555, I don't have an update on this. The Promoted Listings team is aware of the issue though, so it's definitely on their radar to correct.

We are connecting with our product team to get the latest update on this.  We will share back when we have it. Thank you!  

Message 34 of 34
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: