cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Sept 20th @ 2pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone,

We will be holding a special eBay for Business Facebook broadcast this week from 1pm to 2pm, so we've adjusted our chat time so that you are free to watch. This broadcast will be focused on our 2017 Fall Seller Update and will have Brian Burke and some of our staff experts in attendance. Be sure to check it out and then join us from 2pm to 3pm to discuss general topics with Community Staff.

Message 1 of 94
latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

A question related to the Update. Per the Update, if I offer Free Return Shipping, and a buyer sends back an item (non-INAD) and the item arrives missing parts or otherwise different, I can issue a partial refund on my own initiative, as long as it is not less than 50% of the item price. So far, so good.

If I do that, and the buyer objects to the partial refund amount, the Return Team seems to be saying that I need not be concerned about a buyer appeal. But I can't get a clear answer on this. Buyers can appeal, that seems clear, but what happens next, is fuzzy. Does this become a matter between ebay and the buyer, with the seller in the clear because he's issued the partial? Or can the seller be in trouble if ebay finds for the buyer?
Message 61 of 94
latest reply

Nothing. They were here, they were there. I don't see one being favored over the other.
Message 62 of 94
latest reply

@Anonymous

alan@ebay

As always I appreciate that you have these chats.

Message 63 of 94
latest reply

@aluvz2shop wrote:
No not everyone uses Facebook, some of us actually have a life outside of ebay and do not care to be on sites such as Facebook and Twitter. This is an ebay forum, why not post here for everyone to read.

I understand your concerns. We're working to have our social broadcasts play live in Community as soon as possible. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 64 of 94
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Hey @mr_lincoln, as I mentioned before we are only able to enforce a return policy for up to 30 days. There would be not process after this time, which is why I was discussing PayPal. Additionally, I can reiterate thaet Customer Service would be happy to look into these FVFs. You would need to contact us for returns beyond 30 days to review fees for potential credits.

On my soapbox... Why are you pushing sellers to have 60 and 90 day return policies if the site doesn't support it?????? I DON'T have time to argue with someone in the Philipines that my 60 day return policy AS RECOMMENDED BY eBay means they need to refund the FVFs.  That's not enhancing the seller experience.    Off my soapbox.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 65 of 94
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@carlmarxx wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@llllady wrote:

Hi, Alan (and anyone else who enters the lion's den)!

Why is there no way to make a partial refund (purchase price, less shipping) when a buyer purchases, seller ships, package is returned to seller as “Moved, Left no Address”?

This is what happened in a transaction that I got so entangled in that I’m not really thrilled right now with eBay.  Wasted time with PP, eBay CS, wasted money, can’t relist because the person might open up yet a third I.D. and circumvent my BBL and try to buy again.  You get the picture here?

Hey @llllady, a partial refund would not be an option within an item not received case. If the item is delivered or the buyer is at fault for it's failed delivery, no refund is expected. If the item was not delivered successfully, a refund is expected. If you and the buyer would like to work out a partial refund, you can provide this directly through PayPal.

Additionally, if a buyer circumvents your BBL, we do not expect you to ship the item. Feel free to reach out to customer service in the future if this comes up so we can take actions to protect you.

Does this mean  also  ebay  make  sure buyer Update's  their  address after the failed delivery  and item is returned  back to the seller? 

Our expectation is that our buyers and sellers keep their addresses up to date. If they do not, they may face losses when buying or selling. 

Message 66 of 94
latest reply

Please also let the proper team know that removing watermarks means we have to retake the picture and then update the listing with the new pic in most cases.  At least I haven't been able to figure out a way around having to take new pics for a couple thousand items.  That is no small task.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 67 of 94
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@golfingaddict wrote:

We need tools to help us meet all these new requirements.

For example, removing watermarks in the photos. 

Why is there no tool to identify listings that will be "blackballed" in March because they contain a photo with a watermark?  I have 250 listings on this ID and some of them have 40 or more photos in one listings!   

second example: Guaranteed delivery.

Why can't we have a tool that identifies which listings need to be updated to insure that they are ready for GD and why not a tool that tells us why they do not qualify.  As it is now, I am just flailing trying to figure out what the listings are missing or what they need or why they do not qualify.  REVISE REVISE REVISE REVISE and it could be all for nothing if I am not targeting the correct items or the specific issues.

eBay apparently has a tool to do this.  Why can't they tell us?  Why keep it a secret?

And lastly, in Seller Hub under Seller dashboard there is a part that tells me how many listings qualify for TRSplus discounts.  Today for some reason I had "two listings" that apparently do not qualify. 

There is a link to "edit and revise" but it just loops back to the same page.  No indication which two listings do not qualify.   I viewed all of my listings in a search page and all of them have the TRSplus logo.  ALL of them.  So where is eBay giving me this "two do not qualify" information ?

I feel like I am going in circles. What is the deal?

Definitely can see how additional tools would be beneficial for you in these situations and will be happy to pass along this feedback.

As for the issue you are running into with Seller Hub, have you reported this to Customer Service for review? They can help troubleshoot problems like this and get a report filed with our tech teams if needed.

@Anonymous

You mean the same CS that promised to call me back over 2 weeks ago and I have not heard a peep?
Or the same CS that insisted that I have only been a seller since 2015?

I have no faith.. sorry

Message 68 of 94
latest reply

alan@ebay~ @Anonymous ... I know you guys don't like bumps, so I'll simply quote my original question(s):

@leo*spride wrote:

Hi, everyone!

I didn't have access to the Facebook meet-up, so sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered re the Fall Seller Update.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The watermark prohibition caught me off guard… as someone who always took the time to meticulously clean my amateur photos so they looked more professional, I began watermarking my eBay item photos after several lazy sellers pirated them.  Not just irritating, but it violated copyright laws.

My initial thought… it must have something to do with eBay’s clamp down on off-eBay contact info, since watermarks might contain this type of data.

Then I read conflicting theories… eBay’s updated UA includes the right for eBay to use seller photos (royalty free), and comments that Google can’t handle embedded watermarks.

Question, part #1… what is eBay’s real purpose for this new policy?

Question, part #2… if this is to deter sellers from providing off-eBay contact info, what’s to stop sellers from posting photos with their business cards that clearly show websites, personal email addresses, phone numbers, etc.?

Question, part #3… will eBay consider the scenario in query #2 a policy violation, and if so, how does eBay intend to police it?

Graciously grin when you growl...lion.gif

Message 69 of 94
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@llllady wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@llllady wrote:

Hi, Alan (and anyone else who enters the lion's den)!

Why is there no way to make a partial refund (purchase price, less shipping) when a buyer purchases, seller ships, package is returned to seller as “Moved, Left no Address”?

This is what happened in a transaction that I got so entangled in that I’m not really thrilled right now with eBay.  Wasted time with PP, eBay CS, wasted money, can’t relist because the person might open up yet a third I.D. and circumvent my BBL and try to buy again.  You get the picture here?

Hey @llllady, a partial refund would not be an option within an item not received case. If the item is delivered or the buyer is at fault for it's failed delivery, no refund is expected. If the item was not delivered successfully, a refund is expected. If you and the buyer would like to work out a partial refund, you can provide this directly through PayPal.

Additionally, if a buyer circumvents your BBL, we do not expect you to ship the item. Feel free to reach out to customer service in the future if this comes up so we can take actions to protect you.

Wrong. The only option through PayPal was to send them a new invoice for the shipping charges, which they are not forced to pay.  eBay needs to have an avenue for a partial refund under the circumstances cited.  eBay knows who paid for the shipping and how much. eBay knows through tracking that the package was returned to the seller. 

This is on eBay's shoulders, and eBay is shirking it's responsibility to its SELLERS under these circumstances. 

I did not ship the second time and cancelled/refunded immediately. I did contact CS. Basically nothing more was done than to put the buyer on eBay's radar in case she pulls this stunt with someone else and then MAYBE something will be done.  More shirking of responsibility.

You should be able to initiate a refund through the transaction in PayPal. I recommend reaching out to them for assistance with this if you would like to offer a partial. I feel there are details that I am missing, as the situation you describe is not something we would expect a partial refund to be provided in. I am unclear on the responsibility you are referencing, as the details you shared are not something we would typically expect a refund to be issued for. While refunding the buyer could be a great offer to make if you have the item back in your possession, if the buyer is at fault for failed delivery then you would not be accountable for reimbursement.

I don't recall the exact terminology that was used, but it would not allow me to do it and said something to the effect that it was under review by eBay.  You guys are playing volleyball, and your seller here is the loser. 

Why would you not expect a seller to issue a partial refund?  You think the seller should eat the shipping fee when the buyer has a shipping address that is incorrect and the package is returned to the seller?  Why is the buyer entitled to a full refund and the seller is out the shipping fees because of their mistake? 

So what was I supposed to do?  The only choices I had were to refund in full or keep all of the buyer's money and my items.  I just want the money for the shipping, and if eBay provided an avenue to recoup that shipping through a partial refund, problem solved.  The shipping label was purchased through eBay. eBay knows the package was returned as undeliverable.  That makes it eBay's responsibility to ensure that the seller is not stuck with the shipping cost due to the negligence of the buyer.

I had buyers that didn't update  their mailing address's ,I would find out in the tracking  about failed delivery by carriers .  I said on phone to the CSR  that I don't get paid to verfied the buyers address , it is ebays job to make buyer update their  info. I have said same thing to Paypal rep.'s as well  . 

Message 70 of 94
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

The thread is now open. 

My off the cuff question and if you choose not to answer, so be it.

Would you rather have companies filing bankrutcy selling on Ebay the the little guys that keep their shops in order?

Message 71 of 94
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Fall Seller Update Question: Off eBay Selling statement in User Agreement

I received a message in Messaging that include the following statement about the User agreement update for the Fall Seller Update:

The key update to the eBay User Agreement is that we’ve made it clearer how we address violations of our policy on offers to buy or sell outside eBay. Sellers who violate this policy may be charged a final value fee for the applicable item, even if it doesn’t sell."          

This happened on two accounts where I deleted Duplicate listings, is this being sent to every Seller or just those who delete a listing?  The other question I have about it is how does eBay plan to proove something was sold off the eBay site?  I personally don't do that so I am not afraid to ask the question.  I am more concerned that I delete a listing for some reason or another and then get charged a fee, THAT is what most concerns me with that statement.

Hey @mr_lincoln, the message you received was sent to every seller, as it pertains to a critical update to our User Agreement. I can clarifty that we would only charge a final value fee if there were signs of an off site sale being arranged. I can't go into detail on what this specifically looks like, as this information could be used to circumvent our processes, but I can assure you that ending/deleting a listing is not in of itself cause for concern on our part.

If members reach out requesting an off site transaction, asking for contact info or sharing their own, you are encouraged to educate them that you intend to only complete sales through eBay. You may still receive an educational email as these are sent to both parties, but no action is taken unless we have reason to believe there has been an off site sale.

Message 72 of 94
latest reply

Thank you for having these chats. I always learn a lot. 

Today, though, many of the "answers" given to sellers' thoughtful questions made me want an "UNHELPFUL" flag to push. 

Message 73 of 94
latest reply

@carlmarxx wrote:

I had buyers that didn't update  their mailing address's ,I would find out in the tracking  about failed delivery by carriers .  I said on phone to the CSR  that I don't get paid to verfied the buyers address , it is ebays job to make buyer update their  info. I have said same thing to Paypal rep.'s as well  . 

You know what's sad?  Not once, but twice, I advised the buyer that she needed to update her address on eBay and PayPal.  You know what the payback was?  She opened a new account, circumvented the BBL I put her on, repurchased the items and used the same address. I was forced to cancel. Nothing was done to her for anything she did wrong, and now I am afraid to relist the item for fear of her opening yet a third account.  And eBay turns a blind eye.  Yeah, they have the back of sellers.  Sure.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 74 of 94
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@aluvz2shop wrote:
No not everyone uses Facebook, some of us actually have a life outside of ebay and do not care to be on sites such as Facebook and Twitter. This is an ebay forum, why not post here for everyone to read.

I understand your concerns. We're working to have our social broadcasts play live in Community as soon as possible. 

I tried to watch the video on Facebook, but I was locked out, and couldn't access it.

Perhaps if it had been public, that would have worked out better. People would still have been able to watch if they didn't have accounts.

Message 75 of 94
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: